Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Fan

Options
  • 10-06-2016 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi there - the fan on my PS4 is starting to go nuts when I am playing Witcher 3. This already happened on my PS3...(why I upgraded)
    Is this a known problem??

My PS4 is 1 1/2 years old is it still under warranty?

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tobothehobo

Warranty is only 12 months did you check the vents at either side to make sure they aren't clogged with dust. Do you use it in a TV
    unit or out in the air?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

Does your ps4 have tiny physical buttons on the front for power and ejection or a sensor you touch?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

I had a PS4 where the fans would go mad, sounded like a fighter jet when playing anything intense like Dragon Age or The Witcher.
    It was under warranty so I brought it in and had it replaced with a new one and it was a world of difference. Now, when the fans are on full whack you can hear them whirring but they don't scream like they did.

It's really annoying but I don't think it's doing any harm, your console is hot and the fans are cooling it. It would be much worse if they didn't turn on at all.
    To help alleviate it on my old one I made sure the airflow at the sides and back wasn't restricted. I kept mine in a cabinet but in such a way that the back face outward so the hot air can escape easily and that helped a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 psyconia

I'll check the vents - how do I clean them - with a hoover?
    I just have it standing (vertically) on the carpet - would it be better horizontally ?

Its the PS4 with the sensors...

Thanks...

psyconia wrote: »
    I just have it standing (vertically) on the carpet - would it be better horizontally ?

Thanks...

Is it in a stand or just standing freely?
    There are air vents along the side so some of the stands don't enable airflow down the sides of the unit which will cause it to heat up faster, which makes the fans spin more often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

Thanks...

Thats the first edition of the PS4 so the fans do tend to run more often and louder on it, certainly making sure you've enough air flow could help with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Warranty is only 12 months did

isn't it 2 years in Europe despite manufacturers warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tobothehobo

Thanks...

For air flow horizontally would be best preferably on a flat surface like timber not carpet.
    I cleaned my vents with compressed air keyboard cleaner.
    A hoover might work but if you can put it on a low setting I would. I've heard of hoovers producing static build up with isn't good for electronics so up to you really.
    As a previous poster stated it may be 2 years warranty under eu law, I'm no expert in any of this but maybe research it, and if it turns out to be the case you may be able to fight your corner with Sony.
    Mine is a launch model which to be fair can be pretty loud at times especially when under pressure after a long session of with a game which really pushes the hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

For the love of God take it off the carpet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

When I saw the thread title I assumed it was going to be a fanboy thread for the PS! :D

I don't think you can claim anything under warranty here unless there is something wrong with your PS. Maybe give a Sony a call as your first point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I took my launch PS4 apart on Saturday and cleaned the heat sink, fans, case vents and I also replaced the thermal past with artic silver re-assembled it and the fans are still going made when sitting at the menu on Black Ops 3. The latest all Matt finish with the mechanical power and eject buttons Are whiter due to Sony improving the design. That's the joys of getting the first revision of the PS4's

I took my launch PS4 apart on Saturday and cleaned the heat sink, fans, case vents and I also replaced the thermal past with artic silver re-assembled it and the fans are still going made when sitting at the menu on Black Ops 3. The latest all Matt finish with the mechanical power and eject buttons Are whiter due to Sony improving the design. That's the joys of getting the first revision of the PS4's

The different models have different hardware/fans etc. I think this varies not only on the model but where it was manufactured. I have had two different consoles and both have sounded completely different straight out of the box.

If it's really annoying you look at just replacing the fan with one of the newer ones, may be worth looking into.

KeithTS wrote: »
    The different models have different hardware/fans etc. I think this varies not only on the model but where it was manufactured. I have had two different consoles and both have sounded completely different straight out of the box.

If it's really annoying you look at just replacing the fan with one of the newer ones, may be worth looking into.

No they obviously improved the design over time current model are the CUH-12 series and they run quite, I'll wait for the Neo to come out before upgrading or based on a new Xbox console coming next year we might see the PS5 next year

No they obviously improved the design over time current model are the CUH-12 series and they run quite, I'll wait for the Neo to come out before upgrading or based on a new Xbox console coming next year we might see the PS5 next year

I get that they improved the design over time. However, in my experience, older units, of the same model number can sound very different. I've had two
    CUH-11A units and both have been worlds apart regarding the fans.
    The first was crazy, sounded like a hair dryer when it had to do any work at all. The replacement (same model number) is quiet. You can hear the fans when it's working hard and getting hot but they're blowing air rather than screaming for help.

KeithTS wrote: »
    I get that they improved the design over time. However, in my experience, older units, of the same model number can sound very different. I've had two
    CUH-11A units and both have been worlds apart regarding the fans.
    The first was crazy, sounded like a hair dryer when it had to do any work at all. The replacement (same model number) is quiet. You can hear the fans when it's working hard and getting hot but they're blowing air rather than screaming for help.

Well I know when they launched everyone wanted the PS4's manufactured in Japan rather then China as they were better builds, I have a Chinese built one so I agree there are quite versions of the launch I'm just unlucky to have a noisy one.

Advertisement