Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** HPAT and Medicine 2017 ***

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 em0192

I've attached a pretty crappy representation of it. Hope it helps and is error free.

Anyway, I completely get that you want to know if your answer is correct but there really is no point worrying now. You'll just be putting yourself under unnecessary stress. Anyway, it sounds like that things went well for you, so I'm sure you'll do fine. :)
    Yeah I'm going to just forget about the HPAT now because there's nothing any of us can do about it and going to try focus on the leaving cert ! Thanks for explaining it better to me though :))

• Registered Users Posts: 16 InsertCoins

em0192 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm going to just forget about the HPAT now because there's nothing any of us can do about it and going to try focus on the leaving cert ! Thanks for explaining it better to me though :))

No worries. Good to hear. Honestly, the Leaving isn't as bad teachers make it out to be. It's actually pretty laid back compared to exams in University. If you put in the work now, you mightn't even need a great HPAT!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CillianScott

The way that one worked was conditional probability. If there are two events, A and B. If B has already happened, the chances of a now occurring are given by

P(A n B) / P(B)

So in this case it's given by the probability of having lived to both 50 and 60 (in the graph given as 60M, as all 60 have also been fifty) divided by all the male's who lived to 50

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Username_17

Izumi998 wrote: »
    I agree with all of you :( I felt something was missing from Section I- there were way too many data interpretation questions. I always finished Section II in time or only had a few questions unread- today I probably may have missed ten or more which makes me feel disappointed in myself primarily. Section III, just as you have all said, was not too kind to us either. There were those certain types of questions which were in nearly every ACER sample paper and my Career*ervices practice papers that made no appearance today.

But then, on the other hand, they're never going to fulfil our expectations simple as. The thing with HPAT is we should've (and subconsciously probably did!) expect the unexpected. InsertCoins, I completely agree about the advantage of courses being diminished. They're trying to stop any courses from becoming too helpful. For us and future HPAT students (hopefully not us anymore, we'll be in med school, away from that!) courses have become only a sort of tool to make us more confident, there's so much they can really help with.

They truly do want to test our potential, intellect and mental capacities from the stimuli we receive on the day, not all the stuff we hope to see. On the way, they seriously test our resillience to stress! (like "the universe" in that Section II q!)

I was similar to you. I missed about 8 or 9 qs from section 2! I also missed a few from the other sections... I usually get good scores on the ones I get done but I'm not sure if I've done too few on the day.

I was similar to you. I missed about 8 or 9 qs from section 2! I also missed a few from the other sections... I usually get good scores on the ones I get done but I'm not sure if I've done too few on the day.

How did you find the other 2 sections?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Username_17

How did you find the other 2 sections?

Slightly tougher than usual. But I think I did well enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Izumi998

How did you all find section 3? Am I the only one who found many questions..well, different?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 nol980

How did you all find section 3? Am I the only one who found many questions..well, different?

Nope:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Izumi998

nol980, I felt some were rather different than the ones on the ACER samples, but maybe that's just me. About 3/4 of tchem were the "usual" but some really caught me.

nol980, I felt some were rather different than the ones on the ACER samples, but maybe that's just me. About 3/4 of tchem were the "usual" but some really caught me.

Which ones? Just curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 nol980

Few examples:

There was one flower-type next in sequence question with grey petals and black petals if I remember correctly. Couldn't identify a pattern within the time so guessed by looking at the options, choosing the one with the most common similarities to the rest.

The transformations were particularly difficult IMO and I couldn't figure out within the time limit what shape coded for what change if you get what I mean. There was one in particular with hearts and other straight-sided shapes transforming boxes containing cirles and black lines. Couldn't figure out what was changing the number of black lines but 4/5 of the answer options had 2 black lines so assumed the right answer would have 2. Looked at a couple of the transformations to see what caused the change in the dot position but didn't have time to go through them all to be certain.

A good few others didn't look too difficult but I didn't have time to properly figure them out so guessed by choosing what looked like the obvious answer. I wouldn't be half surprised, however, if they were all "trick" questions, requiring further extrapolation to realise that the obvious answer was in fact, wrong.

There was a lot of uncertainty for me with this section, so I am prepared to receive both a poor and excellent score...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mbh008

Hey
    Does anybody know when the results are out?
    I mean, at what time on Monday?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 taro

mbh008 wrote: »
    Hey
    Does anybody know when the results are out?
    I mean, at what time on Monday?
    Thanks!

I did it last year and got the email saying they were out at around 5 AM

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Grimnir333

Anyone have an idea what time the results will be out on Monday?

Hi guys, current med student in trinity! Hope to see you guys there in October, let me know if anyone has any questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Hugo09

Hi - advice needed - I got 565 LC points - first time LC sitting - hpat score low - would you repeat LC and Hpat or just Hpat - confused !! Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mbh008

Hugo09 wrote: »
    Hi - advice needed - I got 565 LC points - first time LC sitting - hpat score low - would you repeat LC and Hpat or just Hpat - confused !! Tks

You just need to repeat the HPAT

your lc is fine. You need to get more than 550 (you for 565 So you're ok)
    Every 5 points after 550 are reduced to 1 in medicine
    So you got 553 then you have to add your hpat score to it to get the total

I hope I'm making sense :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 isabelhorgan

Hi,
    I recently purchased a Med Entry Silver Package for €425 and have now come to the realisation that I don't want to do medicine at all. Any ideas on how I can get rid of it? Does anybody know of anyone that would want it? I have only used 5% of the online facilities and the workshop is for January 4th in CIT. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Eaglextrix

Whats the best way to maximize your points in section 2?
    Also does anyone have any tips on how to do prepare for the day itself?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BigMac90

Is it too late to start studying for the hpat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 LiteCash

Selling HPAT notes from the Institute as well as personal preparation notes and a copy of HPAT 2 Paractice test.

PM if you are interested.

Advertisement