Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

camping gas stove gas head and gas advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I presume it runs butane. What gas bottle do you have for it?
    It used to be you'ld use rubber hose and jubilee clips to connect the hose to the appliance and to the regulator of the bottle of gas.
    You might need a gas plumber these days though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Firstly you don't want the Campingaz CV470 Plus Camping Gas which is for a much smaller stove.

The "Empty" Campingaz 907 Empty Cylinder is sort of what you want with a suitable regulator and hose. Obviously you need to go somewhere to get the cylinder filled and pay for filling (normally you swap an empty for a full one).

The only possible reason for using that size cylinder is if you don't have room for a standard home calor 11.34kg butane bottle one of the orange ones you can get in any hardware, builders merchants and many garages in Ireland, or if you are using it outside Ireland.

For any of the larger size gas bottles you need (the campingaz one should do your 4 nights OK) you have to buy the bottle. If the 11.34kg butane bottle isn't too big ask around as there are loads lying around in peoples sheds so you can easily get one for free then it will cost about €30 to exchange the bottle for a full on. The regulators are standard for those bottles (know as a Jumbo) and cost about €15.

Anyway to answer your question just take the stove along to any builders merchants and ask for a hose, regulator and suitable size gas bottle. If you go with the orange calor bottles and have to buy one there is a smaller 5kg one that is a better size for camping. But try and get a free bottle first, condition isn't important, I've picked up rusty cylinders on the breach and exchanged them (they test and throw away and damaged ones).

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

my3cents wrote: »
    Firstly you don't want the Campingaz CV470 Plus Camping Gas which is for a much smaller stove.

The "Empty" Campingaz 907 Empty Cylinder is sort of what you want with a suitable regulator and hose. Obviously you need to go somewhere to get the cylinder filled and pay for filling (normally you swap an empty for a full one).

The only possible reason for using that size cylinder is if you don't have room for a standard home calor 11.34kg butane bottle one of the orange ones you can get in any hardware, builders merchants and many garages in Ireland, or if you are using it outside Ireland.

For any of the larger size gas bottles you need (the campingaz one should do your 4 nights OK) you have to buy the bottle. If the 11.34kg butane bottle isn't too big ask around as there are loads lying around in peoples sheds so you can easily get one for free then it will cost about 30 to exchange the bottle for a full on. The regulators are standard for those bottles (know as a Jumbo) and cost about 15.

Anyway to answer your question just take the stove along to any builders merchants and ask for a hose, regulator and suitable size gas bottle. If you go with the orange calor bottles and have to buy one there is a smaller 5kg one that is a better size for camping. But try and get a free bottle first, condition isn't important, I've picked up rusty cylinders on the breach and exchanged them (they test and throw away and damaged ones).

Hi

Thanks for your relay, helped me a lot, I tried to find a old cylinder but could not get one, so just when to Woodies and got regulator, hose and 6kg cylinder, was a grey one, was a butane bottle much better size for taking camping as I only have a small car,

Delboy007 wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks for your relay, helped me a lot, I tried to find a old cylinder but could not get one, so just when to Woodies and got regulator, hose and 6kg cylinder, was a grey one, was a butane bottle much better size for taking camping as I only have a small car,

How much was the new cylinder out of interest. iirc last time I heard it was about €60 :mad: However it wouldn't surprise me if the on the ball staff at Woodies forgot to charge for a new cylinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

my3cents wrote: »
    Hi

How much was the new cylinder out of interest. iirc last time I heard it was about 60 :mad: However it wouldn't surprise me if the on the ball staff at Woodies forgot to charge for a new cylinder.

No was not so lucky, was 14.49 for the hose, Regulator 23.89, 6kg Propane Gas 21.99 and the Cylinde 30, total 90.37. So all this was near 3 times the price of the gas stove, madness

• Advertisement

No was not so lucky, was 14.49 for the hose, Regulator 23.89, 6kg Propane Gas 21.99 and the Cylinde 30, total 90.37. So all this was near 3 times the price of the gas stove, madness

The cylinder or its replacements will probably outlast the stove by years, but you can see now why I said try and get a SH cylinder. For anyone else if you use a builders merchants most aren't fussy about what you swap so if you can find an empty 11.34kg butane bottle most will swap it for a 5kg butane or even propane bottle with no questions. Its just a matter of them having something to return.

With the stove use plenty of aluminium foil if you are using the grill and clean it well, oil any bare metal and store dry after use. Most of those stoves succumb to rust after a few years if not stored well.

Advertisement