Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling to neighbours of house I want to buy?

Options
  • 10-06-2016 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My wife and I currently have had an offer accepted on a property but it is well below asking price and the deal was done withing hours of bidding. I was happy at the start as we like the property but I'm starting to wonder/worry about the fact they where so eager to get the deal done!

Is it a good idea or do people even do it to knock a few doors in the area and ask about any issues?

Anyone else any other input on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Is it a good idea or do people even do it to knock a few doors in the area and ask about any issues?

Its tens (in your case maybe hundreds) of thousands of euro. Ask away!

When i was making my purchase, I drove around a few times at the weekend, nighttime, etc, to look for potential antisocial behaviour, spoke to some neighbours i saw, etc.

You're buying into the neighbourhood as much as you're buying into the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I personally wouldn't be upset if one of my future neighbors would knock on my door and ask about the property. I'd give that a try.

The thing with deals like that can be a very harmless reason.

For example my parents, they are going to sell their house in Austria in the next few weeks because they're going to move abroad. They're just happy to get the deal done asap because it's a big bit that's gone when you know the house is sold.

But yes, it is maybe a lifetime purchase so go and ask around. Personally I'd probably do the same and do a bit more of research if I'd be super suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ask the next door neighbours their opinion of the area, saying that you're looking to move in nearby, and you may get your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Its tens (in your case maybe hundreds) of thousands of euro. Ask away!

When i was making my purchase, I drove around a few times at the weekend, nighttime, etc, to look for potential antisocial behaviour, spoke to some neighbours i saw, etc.

You're buying into the neighbourhood as much as you're buying into the house.

Absolutely I'd knock on a few doors, if someone did that too me I'd be honest with them and only too happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I wouldn't think there is anything wrong with it.. Youd be surprised sometimes there are bad neighbours or something sometimes there is nothing but worth checking out.. The neighbours will either say yes or no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

I would definitely ask a few neighbours. We did, and we were blessed as we knocked on a door where two older women answered and were more than delighted to fill me in! It's well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

I did it - It set my mind at ease and now I've decided not to buy in the area. Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

I did it - It set my mind at ease and now I've decided not to buy in the area. Thanks for the advice

Come on!!

What did you find out???!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I've done it with two houses. Id start with not immediate neighbours and just ask about neighborhood. Different for me as was always rural areas so would of had mutual acquaintances and excuse of broadband

Ohh yeah spill the beans.... Good on ya for doing it, it is great to get feedback from the people who are used to living in the area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

To be fair the people I talked to where nice and said they generally liked where they lived but they did point out that they do get some kids hanging around from a very close by social housing estate. This didn't really bother me that much but when I went home I typed the housing estate into google and found alot of bad stuff like drug dealers, houses being burned down etc.

So as I had my doubts I thought it best just to leave it.

Ah not the worst so but a little dodge..Better off as you say if you had doubts not to do it, if something did happen youd be kicking yourself...best of luck finding a new place

Advertisement