Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration Control Officer - Dublin Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 backtogeather

As a previous post stated we are dealing with the top 200 of an aptitude test, this does not mean that they have common sense. I do genuinely wish everyone the best of luck in their interviews but do not assume that you have the position just because you scored high on a test.

This position requires quick thinking, being able to read a person. An ability to deal with all manner of people from all over the world. Delivering bad news to people being refused entry to the state with consideration of the persons humane rights. This is a skill that not everyone has regardless of intelligence.

Again best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 RozDoyle

As a previous post stated we are dealing with the top 200 of an aptitude test, this does not mean that they have common sense. I do genuinely wish everyone the best of luck in their interviews but do not assume that you have the position just because you scored high on a test.

This position requires quick thinking, being able to read a person. An ability to deal with all manner of people from all over the world. Delivering bad news to people being refused entry to the state with consideration of the persons humane rights. This is a skill that not everyone has regardless of intelligence.

Again best of luck.

I 100% agree with you backtogeather. I'm sorry if I caused any offence by mentioning about the top 200 test scores. Not for one minute did I mean it to sound arrogant, I just felt a little insulted by someone suggesting that we must not have read the familiarisation material if we found some elements of the interview to be a little more spontaneous that normal. I've never regarded the position to be "in the bag" or believed that I or anyone else is is entitled to get it based on the aptitude test alone.
    For the record though, I'm not sure being able to fluff up fancy examples or even maybe tell lies on the spot for a thirty minute period is any great measure of common sense or even emotional intelligence either. Not everyone shines at aptitude tests, and not everyone interviews like a pro either. I think we can all agree that no recruitment process is perfect. Accept my apologies again for any offence caused, was genuinely only trying to give my two cents and maybe a "heads up" to others in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 backtogeather

RozDoyle wrote: »
    I 100% agree with you backtogeather. I'm sorry if I caused any offence by mentioning about the top 200 test scores. Not for one minute did I mean it to sound arrogant, I just felt a little insulted by someone suggesting that we must not have read the familiarisation material if we found some elements of the interview to be a little more spontaneous that normal. I've never regarded the position to be "in the bag" or believed that I or anyone else is is entitled to get it based on the aptitude test alone.
    For the record though, I'm not sure being able to fluff up fancy examples or even maybe tell lies on the spot for a thirty minute period is any great measure of common sense or even emotional intelligence either. Not everyone shines at aptitude tests, and not everyone interviews like a pro either. I think we can all agree that no recruitment process is perfect. Accept my apologies again for any offence caused, was genuinely only trying to give my two cents and maybe a "heads up" to others in the process.

RozDoyle I took absolutely no offence to your post. I was just quoting what you said ."the top 200". It just seems that along this board people think that they have the position just because they score high on an aptitude test. Also I do agree with you that not everyone shines in an interview environment either. I think that this job needs good rational thinking people, this cannot be thought in a classroom. This requires life experience that cannot be thought in a classroom. I know plenty of people who have a Master Degree but would shrivel at the thought of confrontation and also know a lot of people who just done a leaving cert that would wipe the floor with confrontation and come out on top.

OK you need a level of intelligence but i just don't think that this job should be based soley on aptitude. And what everyone needs to remember that this is not only just a job it affects peopled lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭kazmcdonald

Will it be via our public jobs profile that we will be told or will they write to us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sumpector

I was told to keep an eye on the publicjobs messages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Will it be via our public jobs profile that we will be told or will they write to us?

Message via your PublicJobs profile on the website. ;)

Had mine this morning, which ever way it went, very nice interviewers.

Now begins the waiting game! Best of luck to all called for interview. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Reav

Now that the interviews are over; how do people, who were lucky enough to get through to that stage, think they went?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Is that all the interviews completed?

Any idea how long the rest of the panel will last? Very narrowly missed out this time :(

• Advertisement

cw67irl wrote: »

Any idea how long the rest of the panel will last? Very narrowly missed out this time :(

I've no idea I didn't ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 StokesDrift

Reav wrote: »
    Now that the interviews are over; how do people, who were lucky enough to get through to that stage, think they went?

Hard to say. Initially I thought mine went ok, but the more time I have to overanalyse, the worse I'm feeling about it!

Well, in comparison to the DFB and AGS. DFB was the start of my introduction to these type of interviews, I didn't think it went well, I failed. AGS, was an improvement, I thought it was bad, I passed, IMC today was great I thought it went well, the outcome, I don't know, you just can't judge it. I might have done well and failed.

But do hope everyone done as best they could and gets what they want. Best of luck.

TallGlass wrote: »
    Well, in comparison to the DFB and AGS. DFB was the start of my introduction to these type of interviews, I didn't think it went well, I failed. AGS, was an improvement, I thought it was bad, I passed, IMC today was great I thought it went well, the outcome, I don't know, you just can't judge it. I might have done well and failed.

But do hope everyone done as best they could and gets what they want. Best of luck.

My interviewers really put me at ease - but who knows......

My interviewers really put me at ease - but who knows......

Exactly, you just don't know. In fairness the best interviews are these, extract information and you are none the wiser about if it's good or bad.

cw67irl wrote: »

Hi cw67irl,
    The lifetime of most public jobs panels is 2 years so there is plenty of time left in this one yet. I think you're in a fairly good position to get an interview call at some stage, it just could be six months or a year down the line. I wouldn't go putting your life on hold for it or anything but really you're not out of the running until a new campaign is announced and a new panel is formed and I can't see that happening before 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Hi cw67irl,
    The lifetime of most public jobs panels is 2 years so there is plenty of time left in this one yet. I think you're in a fairly good position to get an interview call at some stage, it just could be six months or a year down the line. I wouldn't go putting your life on hold for it or anything but really you're not out of the running until a new campaign is announced and a new panel is formed and I can't see that happening before 2018.

Judging by how swiftly this process has gone I would doubt it would go on that long. I think I did read somewhere that the plan was to fill all positions by the 4th quarter of this year. I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

py2006 wrote: »
    Judging by how swiftly this process has gone I would doubt it would go on that long. I think I did read somewhere that the plan was to fill all positions by the 4th quarter of this year. I could be wrong though.

Can't see the panel created this week lasting more than a couple of months at most. That said, the option then could be to interview another batch but time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Mudmask

Anyone ask how long before we hear back from interview? I feel I did poorly and thinking about it is killing me :P. So many things I should have said and its only coming to me now. The interviewers really were lovely though!

Mudmask wrote: »
    Anyone ask how long before we hear back from interview? I feel I did poorly and thinking about it is killing me :P. So many things I should have said and its only coming to me now. The interviewers really were lovely though!

I was told to expect it in the weeks rather than months.

I would say around week and a half to two weeks to here the results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

Noticing that a few people have posted (or others have looked at their posting history and seen it) that they are pursuing a few different competitions like this one; AGS; PASO; DFB got a mention and maybe others. Just wondering of those who are pursuing multiple options; which would you prefer or opt for?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

Noticing that a few people have posted (or others have looked at their posting history and seen it) that they are pursuing a few different competitions like this one; AGS; PASO; DFB got a mention and maybe others. Just wondering of those who are pursuing multiple options; which would you prefer or opt for?

Unsurprisingly, not too many here rushing to answer this one! I'm already working in one of the roles mentioned, so I'm pretty certain I would be taking this if lucky enough to be offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bros81

I'd take this over PASO if offered it.

Only applied for this and would love it if I was offered it. Trying to wait patiently..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 swizzle0411

Been reading here but not posted til now. I read this morning that the take over is now due to happen in early 2017. I'm assuming that the full amount of vacancies won't be filled from the recent interviews if they think it would take that long to be operational. I could be assuming completly wrong though. just a little bit of hope for anyone pinning their hopes on a second batch of interviews

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Paxo16

Been reading here but not posted til now. I read this morning that the take over is now due to happen in early 2017. I'm assuming that the full amount of vacancies won't be filled from the recent interviews if they think it would take that long to be operational. I could be assuming completly wrong though. just a little bit of hope for anyone pinning their hopes on a second batch of interviews
    Hi, do you mind me asking where you read that? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13 swizzle0411

Paxo16 wrote: »
    Hi, do you mind me asking where you read that? Thanks

I thought it was the cpsu website but can't find it now sorry

I thought it was the cpsu website but can't find it now sorry

It was in the July/August edition of Aontas magazine. A digital copy is available on the cpsu website. Definitely says early 2017 now looks likely for handover. Maybe that's taking training time into account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Seamus O Leprosy

Early 2017 for starts does seem logical, as successful candidates will have to undergo Garda clearance and mine for a TCO job has just come through after a 8 week wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It was in the July/August edition of Aontas magazine. A digital copy is available on the cpsu website. Definitely says early 2017 now looks likely for handover. Maybe that's taking training time into account.

So that would have gone to print before the current round of interviews?

Initial comment made it seem like the delay was down to lack of suitable candidates.

Advertisement