Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration Control Officer - Dublin Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 swizzle0411

horseflesh wrote: »
    I was mid-twenties on the list and my message said, "Candidates placed 1-39 on the order of merit are now under consideration, subject to clearance"

did yours also say "should your application come under consideration out will be contacted by this office"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Mudmask

did yours also say "should your application come under consideration out will be contacted by this office"?

I'm within the 39 and my message says, "Your application will now be processed through the clearance stage to check that you fulfil all the requirements governing the competition, including qualifications, health and character.
    We will be in contact with you shortly with regards to this.".
    Delighted to have gotten this far, hopefully we won't be waiting too long in clearance!

Mudmask wrote: »
    I'm within the 39 and my message says, "Your application will now be processed through the clearance stage to check that you fulfil all the requirements governing the competition, including qualifications, health and character.
    Delighted to have gotten this far, hopefully we won't be waiting too long in clearance!

that's fantastic, congrats. I'm hoping they call a second batch for clearance as I should be included in that

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Eagle eyes12

Congratulations!! Just curious if you were 1 to 39 before the interview or outside that bracket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Mudmask

Congratulations!! Just curious if you were 1 to 39 before the interview or outside that bracket?

Thank you! I was less than 39 before and they do mention no change in order of merit or something after interview too.

• Advertisement

Thank you! I was less than 39 before and they do mention no change in order of merit or something after interview too.

It's based off the order of merit however if people fail or miss the interview you're order would change. I was trying to gauge if they have moved outside the first 39 so far

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pennyh

It's based off the order of merit however if people fail or miss the interview you're order would change. I was trying to gauge if they have moved outside the first 39 so far
    Eagle eyes - I'm in early 40's and haven't been called. So I guess they're just concentrating on 1-39 for now.

pennyh wrote: »
    Eagle eyes - I'm in early 40's and haven't been called. So I guess they're just concentrating on 1-39 for now.

Thanks for the information. Just looking for a sign of hope stuck closer to the 100 mark myself

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

Were people told whether they passed or failed the interviews? (Not personal but ...) penny h, do you know if you passed? Would be surprised if all below 39, (a) turned up and (b) passed.

Were people told whether they passed or failed the interviews? (Not personal but ...) penny h, do you know if you passed? Would be surprised if all below 39, (a) turned up and (b) passed.

From reading comments above. Someone pointed out that they were under consideration. A different message than one which I received. I would be very surprised if all 1 to 39 turned up and passed the interview.

Might be a silly question but this is my first cs competition. Will surplus candidates be issued new order of merit numbers after the positions have been filled? Or what way does it work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 pennyh

Yep I passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Can someone confirm that it was a retired PO and a ICO supervisor doing the interviews. Not to detract from others success of getting the role but heard something of being a 2:1 ratio of interviewees to being hired.

Can someone confirm that it was a retired PO and a ICO supervisor doing the interviews. Not to detract from others success of getting the role but heard something of being a 2:1 ratio of interviewees to being hired.

I personally had an ICO supervisor and a pas HR person in my interview. With regards to the ratio I've no idea but there was a poster earlier who's in the early 40s who wasn't put under consideration.

I personally had an ICO supervisor and a pas HR person in my interview. With regards to the ratio I've no idea but there was a poster earlier who's in the early 40s who wasn't put under consideration.

I had a pas rep and someone from the airport too. wouldn't have thought it would be the type of competition they would feel the need for PO level present

• Registered Users Posts: 11 plectrum

I'm one of the lucky ones through to the 39 waiting on clearance. Would love to know if any existing Immigration Officers are following this thread as I really need some info to make my decision when I get the call. As I'm based at a distance from the airport what's the situation about parking, accommodation, food etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Apocoyl

plectrum wrote: »
    I'm one of the lucky ones through to the 39 waiting on clearance. Would love to know if any existing Immigration Officers are following this thread as I really need some info to make my decision when I get the call. As I'm based at a distance from the airport what's the situation about parking, accommodation, food etc?

Congrats Plectrum and well done for getting this far in the competition! Would you mind giving us an idea of roughly what number you were at prior to interview?

Hi Apocoyl, I was number 11 prior to interview

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭horseflesh

I'm sure I saw someone earlier in the thread say parking spaces would be available. But what do you mean by accommodation and food?

Hi Horseflesh. I live about 150 kms from Dublin so commuting to the job wouldn't work. As I already have a house with my partner I couldn't afford to rent so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas - particularly people working in the airport. With the shift you only need a room 8/10 nights or days per month. Cheers, Plectrum

Hi Horseflesh. I live about 150 kms from Dublin so commuting to the job wouldn't work. As I already have a house with my partner I couldn't afford to rent so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas - particularly people working in the airport. With the shift you only need a room 8/10 nights or days per month. Cheers, Plectrum

8 to 10 nights is a bit off. Base of the 5 day working week then a 2 day working week only using 28 days for a month (some have more I know) you'll need a place to stay a minium of 14 times.. without you doing any OT which I believe is more than plentyful atm

• Advertisement

Hi Eagle Eyes 12. From what I'm told immigration officers are currently working 4 shifts 0600-1800; 0530-1730; 1400-0200; 1800-0600 hrs on roughly the following 2 week roster.
    0600-1800 Mon Tues
    Off Weds Thurs
    0530-1730 Fri Sat Sun
    Off Mon Tues
    1800-0600 Weds Thurs
    Off Fri Sat Sun
    1400-0200 Mon Tues
    And then it the shift starts again.
    Maybe I'm wrong and if I am would love to know as I'm basing my decision on above.
    Plectrum

Hi Eagle Eyes 12. From what I'm told immigration officers are currently working 4 shifts 0600-1800; 0530-1730; 1400-0200; 1800-0600 hrs on roughly the following 2 week roster.
    0600-1800 Mon Tues
    Off Weds Thurs
    0530-1730 Fri Sat Sun
    Off Mon Tues
    1800-0600 Weds Thurs
    Off Fri Sat Sun
    1400-0200 Mon Tues
    And then it the shift starts again.
    Maybe I'm wrong and if I am would love to know as I'm basing my decision on above.
    Plectrum

From what I'm was told my the supervisor who interviewed me plus someone in burgh quay and a daa staff member that yes there is some predictability into what days you're off. However the starting times would change almost on a weekly basis.

The shifts may become more stable with more staff. I was only told it's current state

Anyways there is always the travel lodge which is semi affordable but I'd say the classroom environment will be the most difficult for you approx 8 weeks of Monday to Friday. Without the extra 25% wage bonus.

If you work through the roster with the times above you'll find that you start at a different time every week so it fits in with what you've been told - as to the training without allowances that's a prob. The Travel Lodge is'nt cheap if staying up regularly - the pay isn't a fortune unless the TL offer a big discount for airport staff. What we need here is someone who's already doing the job to post what the hours really are and how it all works - anyone out there to guide us?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

I had a pas rep and someone from the airport too. wouldn't have thought it would be the type of competition they would feel the need for PO level present

A retired one maybe?

A retired one maybe?

I couldn't be certain about the airport guy, didnt look anywhere near retirement age though and the pas rep is definitely not retired

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭joe1979

I can tell you from someone I know that parking is provided for staff in staff car park and a bus collects you and brings you to either terminal every few minutes. As regards food it's your responsibility. Bring lunch or there is places open but I think some close overnight after last flight leaves. Only macdonalds stays open 24 hours. As regards accommodation that is also your responsibility. All I'll say is if you can't afford to rent and you are 150km from Dublin that's 300km each way per day I would seriously consider whether it's worth it particularly when you are doing 5 shifts in one week. That's 12 hour shifts five days a week on top of few hours travel. Take into account petrol/toll costs you would probably be better off renting a single room somewhere close to Dublin. On the opposite side one week you only work two days which is good I'd say. I see some people mentioned hotels but hotel prices in Dublin are insane particularly around the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Golf mad 6178

Folks, Looking at some off the comments in the last few days/weeks, it is clear that some applied for the job without fully reading the booklet,
    Eagle eyes is not far off the shift pattern and the starting times will change by 30 minutes from 4am to 6am to cover breaks and change overs, the same again for the evening/night shifts,

Plectrum, it won't be easy travelling this is something I already know as I have a 90 minute drive each way everyday t y currant job but for me the Airport would be a lot closer to home, renting up this way is not cheap and you would have to pay for 7 nights a week even if you done stay every night, driving up and down will also not be cheap as you are looking at around €20 a day on fuel alone never mind tolls if you have to past them,

Someone said something about loads off over-time, but the whole idea off this panel is to get rid off all the over time so we can't rely on that either,

For anyone everyone thinking about taking this post you have to take all off the above into consideration as well as the Union fees which I think works out at about 1% off your weekly pay which doesn't sound like much but it all adds up.

Saying all that I really do wish everyone the best off luck either way in this competition and seeing how things go I might see some off you at some point in the future,

Did anybody manage to find out or figure out how many positions they are looking to fill at the airport? I read a press release on the justice site from last week that mentioned by the end of the year over 120 civilian staff will be deployed at the airport, anyone any clues?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Golf mad 6178

This includes the major programme of civilianisation of front-line port of entry immigration functions which commenced with Terminal 1, Dublin Airport last year.

This will be extended to Terminal 2 later this year by which time over 120 civilian staff will be deployed at the airport

I think this is the press release Apocoyl was making reference to,

But to me it means that in total there will 120 civilian staff between the 2 terminals so what we need to know is how many where put into terminal 1 last year,

• Advertisement

This includes the major programme of civilianisation of front-line port of entry immigration functions which commenced with Terminal 1, Dublin Airport last year.

This will be extended to Terminal 2 later this year by which time over 120 civilian staff will be deployed at the airport

I think this is the press release Apocoyl was making reference to,

But to me it means that in total there will 120 civilian staff between the 2 terminals so what we need to know is how many where put into terminal 1 last year,

Exactly, I figured that 42 were appointed last year, and there was approx 16 already in place but as far as I can make out they were 9-5 shifts only from a trial of the civilian rollout in terminal 1 from 2014, so I don't know if they would have transferred to the required shift pattern or not. Somebody early on mentioned that a lot of these had transferred back to the DOJ, I don't know how true this is however.

Another article on the justice site from the Ministers review of the roll out last September I think it was, suggested that there was already 80 in place in terminal 1 and the transfer corridor in terminal 2, so I assume that would mean approx 40 to complete the civilian programme? All just guess work

Advertisement