Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration Control Officer - Dublin Airport

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 plectrum

Hi Golf Mad, if you could explain the roster a little more it would really help. The roster I quoted in an earlier post was given to me by an Exec Officer out at the Airport and I figured it should be fairly accurate but maybe you have a different insight? As I previously said would be brilliant if a serving officer could fill us in if they're following our ramblings.
    Cheers, Plectrum

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Golf mad 6178

Plectrum,
    The shift times are as follows:

05:00 to 17:00 (day shift 1*); 06:00 to 18:00 (day shift 2); iii) 14:00 to 02:00 (swing); 18:00 to 06:00 (night).

(*day shift 1 currently operate from 06:00 to 18:00 pending deployment to Terminal 2. Two officers on rotation start at 05:30 to facilitate the operation of the Transfer Corridor).

Breaks are scheduled within the shift times above but the timing in any given day will be determined having regard to passenger arrival profiles and the requirements of the Organisation of Working Time Act.

An administrative civil servant (i.e. those working a traditional Monday to Friday cycle) is expected to work a net 37 hour week over five days. The shift roster will see an ICO work an average of 37 hours net in any given week when balanced over a two week period. ICOs work 7 shifts across a 14 day period.

In a 14 day period starting on a Monday ICOs work as follows:

Monday and Tuesday ON
    Wednesday and Thursday OFF
    Friday, Saturday and Sunday ON
    Monday and Tuesday OFF
    Wednesday and Thursday ON
    Friday, Saturday and Sunday OFF

This pattern then repeats itself over each subsequent two week period.

As must currant staff are garda it will be hard to get one say much on here,

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

Most current staff are not Garda members.

As I said before and others have said, read the booklet the answers are in it.

Someone posted about starting at 4am - no shift has ever started at that time. The shifts are as per the above extract from the info booklet.

It's now 10pm - rush hour in T1 hasn't started yet; the T2 rush hour is over by 6am. The airport doesn't run to the times of ordinary workplaces - it runs to its own schedule. Flights are arriving 22 hours a day at present. There are another maybe 40+ flights due in tonight.

I know from people out there that a very very small number "transferred"; most who have moved on have done so on promotion- to such an extent that the airport (for civi servants) is fast gaining a reputation as a place where the staff are favourites for promotion.

The information booklet advises candidates to consider their personal and domestic circumstances. The job, the location, the roster etc won't suit everyone ... For those it suits good luck; for those who haven't thought about it fully, don't take the post as all you will be doing is denying someone who actually wants it and wasting a lot of people's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 swizzle0411

has anyone that was successful but outside the first 39 been able to find out their current place on the panel rather than original order of merit?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Apocoyl

has anyone that was successful but outside the first 39 been able to find out their current place on the panel rather than original order of merit?

If you just call PAS I'd say they would just tell you the new position over the phone, if you do call let us know how you got on, cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sumpector

Has anybody in the clearance stage heard anything yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 StokesDrift

Nope, still waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Eagle eyes12

Been a little over 3 weeks since results came out, just wondering if anyone near the top has heard anything yet?

I haven't heard anything yet anyway. I presume the garda vetting is going to be completed before they contact us again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Sup08

Apocoyl wrote: »
    Did anybody manage to find out or figure out how many positions they are looking to fill at the airport? I read a press release on the justice site from last week that mentioned by the end of the year over 120 civilian staff will be deployed at the airport, anyone any clues?

Can you post a link to the press release from last week?

This is the one that I remember from over a year ago but doesn't mention taking complete control of terminal 2.
    Minister Fitzgerald indicated that the civilianisation programme would continue over the coming months and that civilian immigration officers would take over further immigration control duties in Terminal 2 in October with completion of the full civilianisation programme as soon as possible thereafter. Garda numbers at Dublin Airport have fallen from more than 120 in 2008 to just over 60 today with the number Gardaí assigned to the Airport set to be reduced by another 20 when the civilian roll-out is completed. The programme will result in reduction in costs of the immigration function at Dublin Airport, from €7 million to approximately €3 million once completed.

Full press release here

• Advertisement

It's on the Ministers site in the article about Burgh Quay from 7th September

It's on the Ministers site in the article about Burgh Quay from 7th September

Yes, this quote from it.
    The transfer of the registration function to INIS and the introduction of the new online appointment booking system forms part of the wider reform programme of immigration services.
    This includes the major programme of civilianisation of front-line port of entry immigration functions which commenced with Terminal 1, Dublin Airport last year.
    This will be extended to Terminal 2 later this year by which time over 120 civilian staff will be deployed at the airport giving rise to the release of an equivalent number of Garda resources for operational duties. Also, an on-line appointment service for re-entry visas has been in operation since November 2015.

Worded very well like the quote I posted, doesn't say all staff will be deployed to terminal 2 but only to the airport.

Other articles suggest that up to 80 staff were deployed at the airport by end 2015 and GNIB are still looking after T2 at this stage, so I would assume there would be deployment to T2 from this campaign?

Yes, there would be eventually full deployment in T2 but probably not later this year if the staff are not already trained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Other articles suggest that up to 80 staff were deployed at the airport by end 2015 and GNIB are still looking after T2 at this stage, so I would assume there would be deployment to T2 from this campaign?

It will be deployment to the airport and then mix and match between the 2 terminals. I doubt it will ever be the case that anyone will be permanently assigned to T2

Avada wrote: »
    It will be deployment to the airport and then mix and match between the 2 terminals. I doubt it will ever be the case that anyone will be permanently assigned to T2

Yes, this will be the case.

The first batch in clearance will start in the next few weeks and then another batch will go into clearance. T2 by year end is probably unrealistic at this stage but 120+ ICOs early in the New Year will mean INIS running both Terminals by early next year. I just wish things would push on so we could get started

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭horseflesh

The first batch in clearance will start in the next few weeks and then another batch will go into clearance. T2 by year end is probably unrealistic at this stage but 120+ ICOs early in the New Year will mean INIS running both Terminals by early next year. I just wish things would push on so we could get started

Does "first batch" mean anyone who's in clearance now?

horseflesh wrote: »
    Does "first batch" mean anyone who's in clearance now?

Yes, those who have already received notice that they are currently under consideration and awaiting clearance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Mudmask

I'm not so sure about people starting in the next few weeks. During a call to PAS I was told there would be 'plenty' of notice given for a start date, and there's been no notice as of yet, as far as I know?

• Advertisement

Mudmask wrote: »
    I'm not so sure about people starting in the next few weeks. During a call to PAS I was told there would be 'plenty' of notice given for a start date, and there's been no notice as of yet, as far as I know?

The Tanaiste has a press release on Dept Justice website that says funding provided for extra sure riots for airport and that recruitment will be immediate. I would read that to mean movement will now happen.

See www.justice.ie - it's on the headline or front page.

The Tanaiste has a press release on Dept Justice website that says funding provided for extra sure riots for airport and that recruitment will be immediate. I would read that to mean movement will now happen.

See www.justice.ie - it's on the headline or front page.

Typo in last mail - meant recruits not riots!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 StokesDrift

For now there are more delays on the garda vetting front due to new rules brought in for teachers. According to the vetting bureau 80% of applications are processed withing 4-5 weeks, but others clearly take longer. The first batch in clearance have been waiting 5 weeks now. Even if we hear anything back within October, it'll be at least another month for people to quit jobs, move etc., before training will begin. So the first batch of maybe 30 people will start as fully fledged immigration officers in late January at the earliest.

For now there are more delays on the garda vetting front due to new rules brought in for teachers. According to the vetting bureau 80% of applications are processed withing 4-5 weeks, but others clearly take longer. The first batch in clearance have been waiting 5 weeks now. Even if we hear anything back within October, it'll be at least another month for people to quit jobs, move etc., before training will begin. So the first batch of maybe 30 people will start as fully fledged immigration officers in late January at the earliest.

Clearance is not getting. Can't see Dept waiting for people to move. I would say it's more a case of ensuring there are enough lined up for a chosen date and if you're not available that date then you will have to wait until the next batch - that was essentially the story with the January 15 batch anyway. Roll on some concrete news

So I contacted PAS last week to get an update. The first batch is in security clearance and this takes between 8-12 weeks usually. Does anybody know how many references PAS look for generally?

sumpector wrote: »
    So I contacted PAS last week to get an update. The first batch is in security clearance and this takes between 8-12 weeks usually. Does anybody know how many references PAS look for generally?

2 referees are the norm for PAS. You should get notification from them to tell you they will be contacting your referees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ABitMoreInfo

Anyone gotten a start date? Anyone know when newbies are gonna start? The blackout on info is starting to hurt!

Supposed to be starting in September before, looking more like 2017 now :(

Anyone gotten a start date? Anyone know when newbies are gonna start? The blackout on info is starting to hurt!

Supposed to be starting in September before, looking more like 2017 now :(

I wonder is the potential Garda strike after slowing down the processing in Justice, agreed though it is a very tough wait, but hopefully worth it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ABitMoreInfo

Waiting for CO too, just want to know when I'm getting a salary. Don't even care anymore, I'll go with what comes first, sick of waiting.

• Advertisement

Hopefully we'll hear something within the next month. Some wait though, two months since we got interview results.

Advertisement