Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration Control Officer - Dublin Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SusieD123

Hi All,

I have an interview for this position on the 12th of June. Just wondering if anyone can help me as I've seen a few things in the job description I am unsure of. It says after a one year probation period you are required to remain for 4 years. Is this true or am I taking it up the wrong way. Seems crazy to me if you can't leave with valid notice! Also it says 24/7 shift pattern 365 days a year. However on the daa website it states Dublin airport is closed on Christmas day. I would have a big problem working Christmas Day.

Any help would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Sup08

SusieD123 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have an interview for this position on the 12th of June. Just wondering if anyone can help me as I've seen a few things in the job description I am unsure of. It says after a one year probation period you are required to remain for 4 years. Is this true or am I taking it up the wrong way. Seems crazy to me if you can't leave with valid notice! Also it says 24/7 shift pattern 365 days a year. However on the daa website it states Dublin airport is closed on Christmas day. I would have a big problem working Christmas Day.

You are required to remain for 4 years as an ICO, if you are to remain in the civil service.
    You can leave the civil service when you give the required notice but you will not be allowed to transfer as a clerical officer to another unit or department within the civil service for 4 years unless you are promoted.

Yes, the job is 365/366 days a year as the airport maybe closed but there are flights still in the sky and if a flight was to make an emergency landing, there maybe a requirement for the passengers to dis-embark and be immigrated. The requirement to work Christmas Day changes each year according to the shift pattern.

The DAA do not open the Airport to the public on Christmas day but state agencies do work Christmas Day, including some DAA Staff.

Hope this answers your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 P_cooper

Has anyone else been asked to get a police cert for the vetting process? I lived in Australia for 18 months so need a police cert by Friday 9th but it says it could take 15 days to process the cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jmcturk

Yeah I was asked for one from Scotland. I emailed them and said I might miss the cut off point for handing it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

SusieD123 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I would have a big problem working Christmas Day.

You should probably reconsider applying for a job that provides 24/7 front line cover. There are presently no flights on Christmas Day though who know when that is going to end.

There is talk that the Middle Eastern carriers are pushing for flights on Christmas Day. The fire service, airport police and air traffic control are all working that day so it won't take much to bring in a few flights.

There will be IOs rostered to work on Christmas Day and flights arrive up to and after midnight Christmas Eve and from 4am on St Stephen's morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭cw67irl

P_cooper wrote: »
    Has anyone else been asked to get a police cert for the vetting process? I lived in Australia for 18 months so need a police cert by Friday 9th but it says it could take 15 days to process the cert.

That could be an email we all got? I got it but have never been out of the country for an extended period.

jmcturk wrote: »
    Yeah I was asked for one from Scotland. I emailed them and said I might miss the cut off point for handing it in.

Did you get disqualified for missing the cut off?

Anyone else get their clearance back ��������

• Registered Users Posts: 8 fcsuperihg

Yes and you too???

Yep

Just the starting date we are waiting on now isnt it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 jmcturk

Sup08 wrote:
    Did you get disqualified for missing the cut off?

No got email back saying it wouldn't affect my application and thanks for letting them know. I'm emailing a pas employee directly instead of the generic email address.

jmcturk wrote: »
    No got email back saying it wouldn't affect my application and thanks for letting them know. I'm emailing a pas employee directly instead of the generic email address.

That's great and good for others to know that are in a similar situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Seamus O Leprosy

cw67irl wrote: »
    Anyone else get their clearance back ��������

I got an email confirming my vetting application has been accepted by the vetting unit.
    I dont think this is the same as clearing vetting but may be wrong.

I got an email confirming my vetting application has been accepted by the vetting unit.
    I dont think this is the same as clearing vetting but may be wrong.

You should get another saying it has been completed and returned to PAS when it garda vetting dept have finished with it!

You should get another saying it has been completed and returned to PAS when it garda vetting dept have finished with it!
    Thanks
    Is it taking long, now? my non e vetting last August for a TCO job in a Garda Station took 8/9 weeks

Thanks
    Is it taking long, now? my non e vetting last August for a TCO job in a Garda Station took 8/9 weeks

I don't think it is just Garda clearance that is done for these positions.

I had it done while joining the reserve defence forces. Thats probably 10/11 years ago it was the old version then but that was the old "paper" vetting.

E vetting only took a couple of days this time!

any news ,they are calling for any references?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SusieD123

Sup08 wrote: »
    You are required to remain for 4 years as an ICO, if you are to remain in the civil service.
    You can leave the civil service when you give the required notice but you will not be allowed to transfer as a clerical officer to another unit or department within the civil service for 4 years unless you are promoted.

Yes, the job is 365/366 days a year as the airport maybe closed but there are flights still in the sky and if a flight was to make an emergency landing, there maybe a requirement for the passengers to dis-embark and be immigrated. The requirement to work Christmas Day changes each year according to the shift pattern.

The DAA do not open the Airport to the public on Christmas day but state agencies do work Christmas Day, including some DAA Staff.

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks for the info very helpful! :)

I had it done while joining the reserve defence forces. Thats probably 10/11 years ago it was the old version then but that was the old "paper" vetting.

E vetting only took a couple of days this time!

Yea I tracked mine and it showed "completed" on thursday.
    Not sure what the next steps or time frame is

• Advertisement

Yea I tracked mine and it showed "completed" on thursday.
    Not sure what the next steps or time frame is

Did you get an email from Garda Vetting saying they had completed it and returned to PAS?

Did you get an email from Garda Vetting saying they had completed it and returned to PAS?

It just says "application process completed"

Yes that email arrived today

The wait continues :)

Im like a child waiting on Christmas :)

Waiting its killing me, anybody got any feedback?

fcsuperihg wrote: »
    Waiting its killing me, anybody got any feedback?

I was told security clearance would take up to 12 weeks and reading the comments from the batch taken on last year it is not a quick process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 simon...

Instead of going back through the 50 pages, can anyone tell when are openings for this job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

simon... wrote: »
    Instead of going back through the 50 pages, can anyone tell when are openings for this job?

None for the foreseeable future. Lots of people placed and more people awaiting interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

I was told security clearance would take up to 12 weeks and reading the comments from the batch taken on last year it is not a quick process.

Hopefully shouldn't be too much longer ;)

• Advertisement

And it continues :)

On a worrying sidenote the reintroduction of some automated checkpoints should these effect the planned recruitment?

Advertisement