Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration Control Officer - Dublin Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭gelsthe

Yep I just got a message on my message board too . I was waiting on results from the EO campaign and assumed it was that . Nearly 2 years later ....... I've replied saying I'm still interested see what happens

Same as that... Would this require the whole interview process again?

I was placed at around 560 after test, thought I'd never hear any more about it then last Thursday I received an email asking me was I still interested. Any body have any information on what the job entails? Don't want my brain turning to mush scanning passports for 12 hours on the trot.

revenent wrote: »
    Trainings good, goes in depth with what you will be doing day to day, covers passenger interview techinques, what to look for and talks from all relevant parties in the airport. Also always good meeting who you will be working with. All in all its good and enjoyable if a little daunting at first.

What does average day involve?

4 shifts

05:00 to 17:00
    06:00 to 18:00
    14:00 to 02:00
    18:00 to 06:00

Each officer works basically 183 days in year. Which essentially means 25% are the 18:00 to 06:00!shift.

All this was in information booklet everyone could access
    Is that 183 before holidays are taken into account?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭revenent

I was placed at around 560 after test, thought I'd never hear any more about it then last Thursday I received an email asking me was I still interested. Any body have any information on what the job entails? Don't want my brain turning to mush scanning passports for 12 hours on the trot.
    If that's all you think of the job why did you apply? Plenty of information previously posted on here regarding what the job entails as well as the information book provided when you first applied.

• Advertisement

If that's all you think of the job why did you apply? Plenty of information previously posted on here regarding what the job entails as well as the information book provided when you first applied.

I was hoping the job would be varied and interesting. I've gone through the information leaflet but was hoping for first hand experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Twelve-hour shifts? How many days a week? No wonder some of the passport-checkers look exhausted and pissed off.

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Twelve-hour shifts? How many days a week? No wonder some of the passport-checkers look exhausted and pissed off.

Every second week it's 5 days a week, same as any other job facing people sometimes it's hard to keep a smile on your face.
    It's hard work oftern underappreciated/misunderstood by the general public

Every second week it's 5 days a week, same as any other job facing people sometimes it's hard to keep a smile on your face.
    It's hard work oftern underappreciated/misunderstood by the general public

The shift pattern is 3-2-2-3. Three on, 2 off, 2 on and 3 off. Just repeats itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

zweton wrote: »
    Off topic i know but does anyone kmow if they hire Immi control officers for shannon airport regularly?

No never seen it advertised for Shannon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

gelsthe wrote: »
    Same as that... Would this require the whole interview process again?

I got the email also and replied toteh email saying I was still interested, good question though, is it a 12/24 month panel they are forming to fill future vacancies?

Did anyone get confirmation of their email of interest back by any chance?

gelsthe wrote: »
    Did anyone get confirmation of their email of interest back by any chance?

No confirmation yet.

I rang Pas today and they've emailed everyone who passed the tests at qualifying stage. Next stage would be interview he said but no dates for when that will happen due to holidays etc.. Looking like a September start date if sucsessful

Is it that there is a high turnover of staff or just recruiting extra for the airport expansion? Any thoughts....

Is it that there is a high turnover of staff or just recruiting extra for the airport expansion? Any thoughts....

Lot of people getting promoted, it's a good problem to have but still a problem. Currently running overtime to compensate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Shortalldude

Lot of people getting promoted, it's a good problem to have but still a problem. Currently running overtime to compensate

What sort of promotions are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

What sort of promotions are they?

Mostly to EO elsewhere in the Department/Civil Service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Shortalldude

Mostly to EO elsewhere in the Department/Civil Service
    Thanks, would these promotions mean leaving the airport or where do some of them go to?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Thanks, would these promotions mean leaving the airport or where do some of them go to?

At the moment it pretty much means you leave.

• Advertisement

There doesn't seem to be any urgency in calling people for interviews. Considering there is a lead in time of approx 12 weeks with training and security clearance.

Interviews not scheduled til September at earliest. 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LostDays

Hi can anybody give me some advice on what type of work background is needed to get a job as an immigration officer or what field of study should i undertake to give me the best chance thank you

Interviews not scheduled til September at earliest. 😱

I got a message saying 17th/19th September but subject to change..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Seamus O Leprosy

Ive worked there a couple of years and now that BMU is in T2 the job has become exponentially more difficult and tiring unless you live next door to the airport consider any alternatives carefully.
    12 hour shifts and commute time leave you without much quality time with family.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 oooosk

Ive worked there a couple of years and now that BMU is in T2 the job has become exponentially more difficult and tiring unless you live next door to the airport consider any alternatives carefully.
    12 hour shifts and commute time leave you without much quality time with family.

How can you have worked there for a couple of years when your previous posts clearly show that you joined the BMU AFTER the move to T2 in October 2017?

Your opinion is your opinion, but with respect, it would appear that you are not in a position to give advice on historical working conditions in the BMU at this point in time so please don't portray yourself as an authority on the matter to others who may be considering this job.

oooosk wrote: »
    How can you have worked there for a couple of years when your previous posts clearly show that you joined the BMU AFTER the move to T2 in October 2017?

Your opinion is your opinion, but with respect, it would appear that you are not in a position to give advice on historical working conditions in the BMU at this point in time so please don't portray yourself as an authority on the matter to others who may be considering this job.

Any details of this job are helpful, the information booklet only tells you so much. At least he has hands on experience regardless how long he is there.

Any details of this job are helpful, the information booklet only tells you so much. At least he has hands on experience regardless how long he is there.

As someone who knows about working in the airport I'm actually not disputing the fact it can be "difficult and tiring", that's the reality of front line 12hr shifts. However, the impression that was given is that this was becoming "exponentially" worse over time which implies that the conditions are becoming harder and harder for the staff working there. I am disputing this assertion and feel it is irresponsible to prospective staff to claim it to be the case, especially when it appears that the poster hasn't worked in the airport for a very significant period of time.

In any event, if you are going for interview for this job the interviewers will expect you to have thought carefully about the impact it will have on your domestic life and for you to be able to show that you have the commitment and drive required to succeed in the role.

oooosk wrote: »
    As someone who knows about working in the airport I'm actually not disputing the fact it can be "difficult and tiring", that's the reality of front line 12hr shifts. However, the impression that was given is that this was becoming "exponentially" worse over time which implies that the conditions are becoming harder and harder for the staff working there. I am disputing this assertion and feel it is irresponsible to prospective staff to claim it to be the case, especially when it appears that the poster hasn't worked in the airport for a very significant period of time.

In any event, if you are going for interview for this job the interviewers will expect you to have thought carefully about the impact it will have on your domestic life and for you to be able to show that you have the commitment and drive required to succeed in the role.

Is it difficult to get leave over the summer months?

• Advertisement

Is it difficult to get leave over the summer months?

Not particularly if you plan in advance.

Obviously summertime is the busy period but with numbers on teams growing in numbers it makes it easier for supervisors to allow a limited number of staff to be on leave at the same time. Even if you do run up against problems taking leave you can try to swap shifts with another member of staff with you repaying the favour at another date.

Advertisement