Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration Control Officer - Dublin Airport

Options

Comments

Do you still have to go through that procedure even if you already work in the airport and have a valid ID card ?

Yes. Lads already working for Menzies and ocs started with us, they had to go through the same process.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

joe199 wrote: »
    Is anyone else having trouble downloading the first pdf of the application the offline one? Thanks

Yeah wont download for me either

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Farlo1234

What sort of numbers they looking to initially fill?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Looks an interesting role but the money is really poor for entry level and the shift work. Even 25% allowance brings it to just over 500 a week.

Positive bit though is if you stick with it for a number of years and then move to a different department, I've heard you keep the 25% allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭wangchung

not sure but maybe about 100 but its only to fill the posts of those who left and would say there are a few that will be leaving over the next while. they close the door after the horse has bolted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

wangchung wrote: »
    not sure but maybe about 100 but its only to fill the posts of those who left and would say there are a few that will be leaving over the next while. they close the door after the horse has bolted

Are things that bad there that they can't hold onto staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Sup08

EB_2013 wrote: »
    Are things that bad there that they can't hold onto staff?

I believe that the training they receive and calibre of staff that enter the airport within this role, gain such experience, they are promoted quicker than general CO grades and therefore show more attributes to the role of higher grades than a regular clerical officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

Sup08 wrote: »
    I believe that the training they receive and calibre of staff that enter the airport within this role, gain such experience, they are promoted quicker than general CO grades and therefore show more attributes to the role of higher grades than a regular clerical officer.

The vast majority that leave do so on promotion. Far quicker than elsewhere. For an airport CO going for EO, its easy - they have better examples than most HEOs!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭revenent

The vast majority that leave do so on promotion. Far quicker than elsewhere. For an airport CO going for EO, its easy - they have better examples than most HEOs!

Welcome back to the thread. I'm sure you will be bombarded again!

revenent wrote: »
    Welcome back to the thread. I'm sure you will be bombarded again!

Indeed, I've never fully gone away! You could say like a bad smell or something like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ladz

joe199 wrote: »
    Got there in the end cheers

Hi, can you please tell how you got the pdf to download? ive tried several readers & 2 machines & no joy :/ thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ladz

Anyone travel any kind of a distance & do this job? like over an hour? thinking the shift pattern without too many consecutive days would make it doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

ladz wrote: »
    Hi, can you please tell how you got the pdf to download? ive tried several readers & 2 machines & no joy :/ thanks.

You have to open it with Adobe once its downloaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 louis59

Hi guys
    I have applied online, does anyone know if you automatically do the online assessment?
    Or is it only if they are happy with your application, and you are suitable for the job.
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

The vast majority that leave do so on promotion. Far quicker than elsewhere. For an airport CO going for EO, its easy - they have better examples

Very little hope of an immigration kiosk occupier getting an eo In any other department than Justice, no offence but the experience gained there is extremely 1 dimensional , an extremely mundane role.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 googleted

italodisco wrote: »
    The vast majority that leave do so on promotion. Far quicker than elsewhere. For an airport CO going for EO, its easy - they have better examples

Very little hope of an immigration kiosk occupier getting an eo In any other department than Justice, no offence but the experience gained there is extremely 1 dimensional , an extremely mundane role.

Categorically not true, as evidenced by the dozens of CO staff who have been promoted (at open, interdepartmental and internal comps) largely based on the breadth of their experience at the airport. That promoted airport staff tend to stay within Justice points more towards Justice HR being keen to hold onto talent and experience than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Literally none of them have been promoted on internal justice competitions, all on external and inter-d comps.

A number or CO's are now HEOs and APs within 5 years

Literally none of them have been promoted on internal justice competitions, all on external and inter-d comps.

A number or CO's are now HEOs and APs within 5 years

I dont know how one of my last posts seems to read now if quoted as if what was posted by Italxxx was posted by me.

The facts as others have said are there to be seen. Huge numbers of promotions and all on open\inter-d panels. ICOs after any period of time of significance at the airport have very good examples\experience. A significant number of the 2015 intake as ICOs are now HEOs - if that's one dimensional them maybe other COs need to lose some dimensions!

Whether the record.of the last few years on promotion is maintained, time will tell but as a starting position in the civil service that is generating promotion ready staff, the airport is well ahead of the norm.

I dont know how one of my last posts seems to read now if quoted as if what was posted by Italxxx was posted by me.

The facts as others have said are there to be seen. Huge numbers of promotions and all on open\inter-d panels. ICOs after any period of time of significance at the airport have very good examples\experience. A significant number of the 2015 intake as ICOs are now HEOs - if that's one dimensional them maybe other COs need to lose some dimensions!

Whether the record.of the last few years on promotion is maintained, time will tell but as a starting position in the civil service that is generating promotion ready staff, the airport is well ahead of the norm.

Management do not want ICOs to remain out at the airport for too long and would prefer to see them move on after a few years when they can. They do not want people to make careers out of this job and would rather have regular turnaround of staff. That's why they don't offer good conditions out at the airport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭2006

Just got an email to do the online assessment,would anyone know how long after do we get result or know about interview

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭paulbolg

2006 wrote: »
    Just got an email to do the online assessment,would anyone know how long after do we get result or know about interview

It said it at the end of the questionaire that you will hear end of November.

Management do not want ICOs to remain out at the airport for too long and would prefer to see them move on after a few years when they can. They do not want people to make careers out of this job and would rather have regular turnaround of staff. That's why they don't offer good conditions out at the airport

Why do you think "regular turnaround" is preferred?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭niteclubbecks

2006 wrote: »

Did the assessment myself. Wasn’t too bad. Just the long wait for the results now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Absolute nonsense, Obviously someone with no idea what the job actually entails. As for promotion iv lost count the number of ICOs promoted in my time out there. Most go EO but some have gone straight to HEO and recently direct to AP...

cw67irl wrote: »

Absolute nonsense, Obviously someone with no idea what the job actually entails. As for promotion iv lost count the number of ICOs promoted in my time out there. Most go EO but some have gone straight to HEO and recently direct to AP...

Have you moved on yourself when you say your "time out there"?

Can think.of several ways the role.is.different to the run of the mill. Detaining people being a very obvious one; swearing affidavits is another; actually being responsible for making decisions another. "Confronting" all sorts of people is another. Conducting searches. Weighing up.European, Constitutional and Case Law at midnight or later whilst some Irish person is moaning about "ridiculous having to queue to come home". The respect internationally amongst other services is also there in the background.

Of course, there are challenges with IT, equipment and facilities but the strength of.the people.has been the key element. "Kiosk operators" - laughable but as you say from someone who has no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Can think.of several ways the role.is.different to the run of the mill. Detaining people being a very obvious one; swearing affidavits is another; actually being responsible for making decisions another. "Confronting" all sorts of people is another. Conducting searches. Weighing up.European, Constitutional and Case Law at midnight or later whilst some Irish person is moaning about "ridiculous having to queue to come home". The respect internationally amongst other services is also there in the background.

Of course, there are challenges with IT, equipment and facilities but the strength of.the people.has been the key element. "Kiosk operators" - laughable but as you say from someone who has no idea.

No im still here, i had aimed that at the original quote. Apoligies if it came across as if it were aimed at yourself.

Typical of the sort of comment you might expect from the ssme small minded person who as you put it complains about it being "ridiculous about having to que to come home"but yet at the same time complains about waves of people entering the country. It seems people cannot wait 5 minutes in a que but still want security at the border.

I would hazard a guess that our "kiosk operator" poster has little or no experience of a heavy workload such as the one faced on a daily basis in DAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NiMatihLiom

You are, as always, glorifying the role. Your BS reminds me of the initial training where the phrase 'powers of arrest' was bandied about as if it were a legitimate aspect of the job.

The role was and is a cost saving role, BMU staff do a better job than AGS did on the frontline but at a fraction of the price. Your claim that there is respect internationally by other services is laughable, there's no respect from anyone. There's so little respect even from Justice itself, who refuse to acknowledge it is a front line role. If it were a respected service the pay and conditions would reflect this. Rather it is a unit set up to save money in the Justice budget, the staff are over worked and under appreciated. A lot of this stems from the original, self serving, management and the culture they created is hard to shift.

You are, as always, glorifying the role. Your BS reminds me of the initial training where the phrase 'powers of arrest' was bandied about as if it were a legitimate aspect of the job.

The role was and is a cost saving role, BMU staff do a better job than AGS did on the frontline but at a fraction of the price. Your claim that there is respect internationally by other services is laughable, there's no respect from anyone. There's so little respect even from Justice itself, who refuse to acknowledge it is a front line role. If it were a respected service the pay and conditions would reflect this. Rather it is a unit set up to save money in the Justice budget, the staff are over worked and under appreciated. A lot of this stems from the original, self serving, management and the culture they created is hard to shift.

Opinions are what make the comments on here interesting.

The respect point internationally I said was there in the background, I would point you to London, Paris, Frankfurt, Bucharest, the US and others plus of course the airlines themselves (which was hard won). To know of that respect though would require involvement with those services.

Culture is an interesting topic as it relates to the shared values and beliefs of people in an organisation or a part of it. Culture in an organisation is never set by 1 or 2 people but the people in an organisation as a whole.

The "original" management in BMU was non existent in real terms (on the ground at the airpprt) during the pilot phase until 2015; then it was very thinly spread and to a large degree still is with demands from HQ for.big delivery. There was only one HEO for most of 2015; none from the mid point 2016 until Spring 2017; then one and two wasnt reached again until late 2017. The admin office has never been at the full numbers approved for it. In comparison, Customs which has fewer staff (significantly fewer) has a PO, AP, and 3 if not 4 HEOs at the airport.

I wouldn't disagree that the level of support or commitment from the "mothership" was\is questionable and I wouldn't disagree that there has been no investment in the service\facilities (beyond training).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭niteclubbecks

Has anyone here know the process of the recruitment? What’s the training like,ect

Advertisement