Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration Control Officer - Dublin Airport

Options

Comments

You are, as always, glorifying the role. Your BS reminds me of the initial training where the phrase 'powers of arrest' was bandied about as if it were a legitimate aspect of the job.

The role was and is a cost saving role, BMU staff do a better job than AGS did on the frontline but at a fraction of the price. Your claim that there is respect internationally by other services is laughable, there's no respect from anyone. There's so little respect even from Justice itself, who refuse to acknowledge it is a front line role. If it were a respected service the pay and conditions would reflect this. Rather it is a unit set up to save money in the Justice budget, the staff are over worked and under appreciated. A lot of this stems from the original, self serving, management and the culture they created is hard to shift.

Couldn't agree more. Justice don't care about this role or the welfare of their staff, its only there to save money nothing else. All they want are queues moving, the temperamental gates running and everyone to use their best customer service smile.

In truth the vast majority of people who got promoted did so because they no longer wanted to work there. That’s also not to mention the large number of people who took the trade facilitation job, reverted back to a CO job or just quit. Its dishearting to see the people actually who poured their heart and soul into the job no longer care about it and just go through the motions.

There so many problems out in the airport, staff physically and verbally attacked, fatigue from the shifts, chronic back pains from poorly designed booths, some of the worst facilities I’ve ever seen in any job, reduced annual leave and no form of any health and safety. Only look what the sun posted today in relation to strike action.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Bosco43211 wrote: »
    reduced annual leave

It's interesting you say this, the current job listing says 30 days annual leave, which works out to 8.5 weeks when you are working an average of 3.5 days per week, is the reality different?

GarIT wrote: »
    It's interesting you say this, the current job listing says 30 days annual leave, which works out to 8.5 weeks when you are working an average of 3.5 days per week, is the reality different?
    Annual leave for a clerical officer starting out is 22 days. Immigration control officers are constantly reminded that they are a clerical officer grade. We fall under the working time act which states that if you work over 1365 hours a year your entitled at minimum to 4 full working weeks off. In the BMU your told you work 30% less days but work more hours, so they decided to convert the days into shifts and only give you 15.49 shifts off. With zero explanation
    how this was worked out. Which makes no sense at all before you even take onto account that shift workers according to the HSA are supposed to be awarded more down time to combat shift work. Now for obvious reasons this was was left out of the information booklet. It should also be noted that if youu equire any bereavement leave they convert that to shift as well. Like I said just something to add to the list of why they lose so much staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Annual leave for a clerical officer starting out is 22 days. Immigration control officers are constantly reminded that they are a clerical officer grade. We fall under the working time act which states that if you work over 1365 hours a year your entitled at minimum to 4 full working weeks off. In the BMU your told you work 30% less days but work more hours, so they decided to convert the days into shifts and only give you 15.49 shifts off. With zero explanation
    how this was worked out. Which makes no sense at all before you even take onto account that shift workers according to the HSA are supposed to be awarded more down time to combat shift work. Now for obvious reasons this was was left out of the information booklet. It should also be noted that if youu equire any bereavement leave they convert that to shift as well. Like I said just something to add to the list of why they lose so much staff.

Sounds like it's worth contacting the union, if they can't fix anything call for a strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭revenent

Couldn't agree more. Justice don't care about this role or the welfare of their staff, its only there to save money nothing else. All they want are queues moving, the temperamental gates running and everyone to use their best customer service smile.

In truth the vast majority of people who got promoted did so because they no longer wanted to work there. That’s also not to mention the large number of people who took the trade facilitation job, reverted back to a CO job or just quit. Its dishearting to see the people actually who poured their heart and soul into the job no longer care about it and just go through the motions.

There so many problems out in the airport, staff physically and verbally attacked, fatigue from the shifts, chronic back pains from poorly designed booths, some of the worst facilities I’ve ever seen in any job, reduced annual leave and no form of any health and safety. Only look what the sun posted today in relation to strike action.

Strike is an interesting notion. Having it on the rte news will certainly get people talking. Hopefully as well about the crazy number of asylum claims that are flooding in and putting everyone under pressure. People need to know what's actually going on behind the scenes. (circus) It's so unfair on those who do/did enjoy the role and puts needless pressure on those that remain with the high turnover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Augme

GarIT wrote: »
    Sounds like it's worth contacting the union, if they can't fix anything call for a strike.

There is no way the union will call a strike just for the COs in immigration control.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

Augme wrote: »
    There is no way the union will call a strike just for the COs in immigration control.

A dispute involving solely the airport staff is perfectly plausible, it wouldn't be a general strike. The one problem Forsa has with seeking a strike is that the Public Service Stability Pact prohibits strike action on any matter covered by the Pact and prohibits cost increasing claims which is what a call for Sunday premium is. If a ballot is held, if strike action is mandated, the employer will invoke arbitration to confirm the prohibition.

The wider problem Forsa has is a credibility one. Forsa knew the pay arrangements back in 2014 months before anyone started shift work amd raised no issues. The knew about the leave arrangements and raised no issues and it was and is all explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NiMatihLiom

A dispute involving solely the airport staff is perfectly plausible, it wouldn't be a general strike. The one problem Forsa has with seeking a strike is that the Public Service Stability Pact prohibits strike action on any matter covered by the Pact and prohibits cost increasing claims which is what a call for Sunday premium is. If a ballot is held, if strike action is mandated, the employer will invoke arbitration to confirm the prohibition.

The wider problem Forsa has is a credibility one. Forsa knew the pay arrangements back in 2014 months before anyone started shift work amd raised no issues. The knew about the leave arrangements and raised no issues and it was and is all explained.

No the issue here is the conditions you set.
    I think it would be best were you to concentrate on your current department and leave the staff in the airport to unravel the mess your legacy has left behind.

No the issue here is the conditions you set.
    I think it would be best were you to concentrate on your current department and leave the staff in the airport to unravel the mess your legacy has left behind.
    I think its more a creditability issue for the Department of Justice. They set up the BMU knowing full well they were in breach of the statuary requirement to pay a Sunday premium. They reduced annual leave in breach of working time act, they use facitiiles and provide no health and safety statement or standard operating procedures in breach of all welfare circulars for civil servants 1989 and beyond. They’ve settled payments brought to the wrc and labour court already in regards to Sunday pay. The previous head of operations was humiliated in front of the labour court because he couldn’t answer a simple question as why Sunday pay had not be paid to begin with. Staff hired before entering the airport had been told they would work the same shift as Guards 6 on 4 off but this was changed 2 weeks prior...which shows the planning but in to begin with. An FOI was put in for annual leave and the shift pattern none of what used now was recommend or previously decided on was ever used. The current 15.49 shifts off and shift pattern was either never discussed or put to paper in fear of it being requested. It makes a mockery of everything the HSA recommend for shift workers and fyi they were never involved in the formation of the BMU. The cold hard truth is Justice and the previous head of operations threw aside all and every aspect of staff welfare so they could further their career and save money, which is what it will always boil down to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 The Snow man

Can any one tell me.. Has the stage formats changed since the last intake..
    Ie. Online questionnaire, Online assessment at home, supervised assessment at chapter House, then interview!

Going by the next take it only says..

It is important to understand that you must qualify at Stage 1 before being considered for Stage 2 (Interview). If you do not reach the required standard at Stage 1 your application will receive no further consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

italodisco wrote: »

Literally none of them have been promoted on internal justice competitions, all on external and inter-d comps.

A number or CO's are now HEOs and APs within 5 years

I’m aware of a number in revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PooAtPauls

I’m aware of a number in revenue

Revenue is a separate department so they can't be from an internal Justice promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Omnissiah

Couldn’t agree more with some of the comments here. The Dept couldn’t care less about the staff at the airport. They don’t want to engage or offer solutions. Everything is about doing it on the cheap. Mgt are more concerned with bad press then backing decisions made by officers. It isn’t about enforcement of legislation as it should be, they just want Bord Failte in a uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Has anyone heard anything yet? I'm guessing they'll have shortlisting out this Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭niteclubbecks

Has anyone heard anything yet? I'm guessing they'll have shortlisting out this Friday.

Haven’t heard anything yet. Hopefully we ll heard something soon

• Registered Users Posts: 9 C2019

Has anyone got an update on when the results will be released

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Boebo

C2019 wrote: »
    Has anyone got an update on when the results will be released

When I submitted the tests I did at home it said that they would be out the end of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 C2019

Perfect thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jay2020

What tests has everyone received? I have so far just had the questionnaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jay2020

Boebo wrote: »
    When I submitted the tests I did at home it said that they would be out the end of November.

What tests did you have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Boebo

Jay2020 wrote: »
    What tests did you have?
    The online questionnaire sorry I just call them all tests. but it was just the online questionnaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭2006

Jay2020 wrote:
    What tests has everyone received? I have so far just had the questionnaire.

The online questionnaire and the online assessment after that

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kiki329

Has anyone heard anything from the latest campaign?

Kiki329 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything from the latest campaign?

Nothing yet 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 26,394 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Previous guy said it'd be end-November

• Registered Users Posts: 12 vicky1274

It said that you would be contacted before the end of November, I guess it depends on the amount of applications received, long wait though.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭tigerwoods

Results are out.

tigerwoods wrote: »
    Results are out.

Yeah I only got placed 851. I’m disappointed but not much I can do now

• Registered Users Posts: 12 vicky1274

Yeah I only got placed 851. I’m disappointed but not much I can do now

They could have worded their letters better, Congratulations you passed and are number *** on the list. And then in the next paragraph telling you they are only calling 126....I got all excited until I read the next paragraph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Kiki329

vicky1274 wrote: »
    They could have worded their letters better, Congratulations you passed and are number *** on the list. And then in the next paragraph telling you they are only calling 126....I got all excited until I read the next paragraph.

I know right 😂 I was thinking oh great I “qualified” to be placed at 1210 raging. Defo could be worded better

Advertisement