Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration Control Officer - Dublin Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TestLink

noodler wrote: »
    About 43,000 plus 25% for the shift allowance?

I'm.not sure what a grade five is mind but I assume it means you are a public servants at a point on your scale which is 43,000 and so you'd get the same (before shift allowance) if you got this.

The interview questions would be competency based at CO level looking at the booklet.

I am working with a Local Authority now. Not civil service.

So would have to go back to the starting salary of a Grade 3 Clerical Officer level?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Sup08

TestLink wrote: »
    I am working with a Local Authority now. Not civil service.

So would have to go back to the starting salary of a Grade 3 Clerical Officer level?

See this

https://hr.per.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Starting-Pay-on-Recruitment-through-Open-Competition-to-the-Civil-Service.pdf

Hope the same is applicable for Prison Clerical Officer role as well?

TestLink wrote: »
    Hope the same is applicable for Prison Clerical Officer role as well?

I would think on the basis of the circular, an officer from Public Service Grade 5 (Analogous Grade) may start at the highest point of the CO scale (not on any of the LSI's) €37,855 plus 25% + other allowances.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,394 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Sup08 wrote: »
    I would think on the basis of the circular, an officer from Public Service Grade 5 (Analogous Grade) may start at the highest point of the CO scale (not on any of the LSI's) €37,855 plus 25% + other allowances.

Aye. What's the highest point on weekly scale.for this comp that isn't an LSI?

(Assume it's 37,855 ÷ 52 as you've outlined)

If so, then this would be the correct response. They can't give you a base of 43,000 if you could never earn 43,000 in that role otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 vicky1274

tigerwoods wrote: »
    Just checked my results and they said they intend to call people up to 131.

I checked mine again and it actually says 128 not 126...

It is intended to invite those placed up to 128 on the order of merit to stage 2 of the selection process

... so have they changed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭tigerwoods

vicky1274 wrote: »
    I checked mine again and it actually says 128 not 126...

It is intended to invite those placed up to 128 on the order of merit to stage 2 of the selection process

... so have they changed it?

Not sure.Can I ask did you qualify in the top 128/131

Not sure.Can I ask did you qualify in the top 128/131

No.365 here 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Just checked my results and they said they intend to call people up to 131.

That was for the clerical officer in the prison service, that they are calling the first 131 on the panel..

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭2006

job seeker wrote:
    That was for the clerical officer in the prison service, that they are calling the first 131 on the panel..

I applied for both and both my mails say first 131. I got number 51 for immigration and number 17 for prison service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭tigerwoods

job seeker wrote: »

I only applied for the ICO campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 alzo93

I only applied for the Immigration Control Officer position and mine says that they’ll be calling the first 131 as others have said.

It’s odd that some messages say different things in regards to how many people are being called for interviews. I wonder if it was just an oversight on their part?

Have the interviews begun yet does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 alzo93

They start next Thursday, the 28th, at 9am

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭paulbolg

I got placed 230's and another lad i work with got the exact same number, seems to be some hiicup but it is what it is and we will wait and see, like alot of people applied for the sake of applying and may not go for the job so those that want it enough will just wait out the process, those that may fail interview, garda and airport security clearance also. The numbers will whittle down sooner than most may think, hang in there.

2006 wrote: »
    I applied for both and both my mails say first 131. I got number 51 for immigration and number 17 for prison service

That’s odd!

Great results though! Well done!

I’m not expecting to be contacted in either as I got
    400’s in the immigration campaign and 200’s in the prison campaign..
    I only applied for the ICO campaign.

That’s strange, must just be an error! Never seen that happen before!

paulbolg wrote: »
    I got placed 230's and another lad i work with got the exact same number, seems to be some hiicup but it is what it is and we will wait and see, like alot of people applied for the sake of applying and may not go for the job so those that want it enough will just wait out the process, those that may fail interview, garda and airport security clearance also. The numbers will whittle down sooner than most may think, hang in there.

I was referring to the amount that is being called, as opposed to the results optioned. Btw it’s very common for a number of people to get the same results!

Wont be going for interview. I informed publicjobs that I am withdrawing from the campaign

Was very interested in the role, but the VERY odd work times and shifts wont suit me unfortunately.

vicky1274 wrote: »
    I got 365, I wonder was the order of merit just based on the online questionnaire? Or would being an existing civil servant warrant additional merit?

Being an existing civil servant won't bump you up the order of merit unfortunately

It's an external competition. Being an existing civil servant has no bearing. No idea why you think it would as it would be unfair to non civil servants. It's entirely based on the questionnaire.

I got in the mid 400's, I'm happy enough with my current job but wouldn't mind a change. Hopefully get called within next few months as not everyone in this initial batch of 128 will pass interview/security clearance or even accept an offer like.

The first competition back in 2016 had approx 750 placed in order of merit. They had around 100 jobs going. It still took them 3 years to exhaust that panel. There are around 30-40 ICO jobs to be filled, I'd say if yr placed anywhere over 200 it would be a very long wait if yr called at all.

• Advertisement

If it’s anything like the prison officer recruitment, expect security clearance to take between 8 months to a year.

Airport security clearance will take 10 weeks, gardai clearance another 2 weeks on top of that. Unless of course you weren't born in Ireland or ever worked abroad, then it could take forever.

Poorpolly wrote: »
    Does anyone know the average age of an ICO? Does age have anything to do with the application process?

The current ICO's age range from mid 20's to late 50's

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭2006

Has anyone done the interview yet? How did it go?

The first competition back in 2016 had approx 750 placed in order of merit. They had around 100 jobs going. It still took them 3 years to exhaust that panel. There are around 30-40 ICO jobs to be filled, I'd say if yr placed anywhere over 200 it would be a very long wait if yr called at all.

The first "immigration control officer" specific competition was 2016, the first intake from a competition to this role was from a 2014/15 CO open competition.
    The first civilians appointed immigration officers were from an initial trial from existing Dept. of Justice staff in 2012.
    The last panel (2016) did indeed last 3 years, beyond the normal 2 year life cycle of a civil service panel but I don't think it would be fair to say that anyone over 200 won't be called. It seems the application process has changed since the last intake and therefore the interview process as well.

Sup08 wrote: »
    The first "immigration control officer" specific competition was 2016, the first intake from a competition to this role was from a 2014/15 CO open competition.
    The first civilians appointed immigration officers were from an initial trial from existing Dept. of Justice staff in 2012.
    The last panel (2016) did indeed last 3 years, beyond the normal 2 year life cycle of a civil service panel but I don't think it would be fair to say that anyone over 200 won't be called. It seems the application process has changed since the last intake and therefore the interview process as well.

What number on the panel do you think will be reached? I’m in the 400’s and I wasn’t a tad hopeful at all!

job seeker wrote: »
    What number on the panel do you think will be reached? I’m in the 400’s and I wasn’t a tad hopeful at all!

You could still be called, probably take a while tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭MaxPayneXL

I am working as Asst. Staff Officer Permanent. My salary current is around 44,500.

May I know how much salary I would be able to earn per month, if selected for the ICO role?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

MaxPayneXL wrote: »
    I am working with a Local Authority as Asst. Staff Officer (Grade 5) - Permanent. My salary current is around 44,500.

May I know how much salary I would be able to earn per month, if selected for the ICO role?

This was answered a page or two back. Google civil service pay scale forsa. And look at the CO grade scale. Around 40k is the max, plus shift allowance of 25% bringing it close to 50k.

I find it strange that people are either applying for a job without knowing much about it or asking about the salary of a job they can't apply for for around 2-3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭MaxPayneXL

GarIT wrote: »
    This was answered a page or two back. Google civil service pay scale forsa. And look at the CO grade scale. Around 30k is the max, plus shift allowance of 25% bringing it close to 40k.

Do people have to start from the base clerical officer salary as ICO or would they be able to start from their current salary on their last job? ie would I be able to start from 44,500?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

MaxPayneXL wrote: »
    Do people have to start from the base clerical officer salary as ICO or would they be able to start from their current salary on their last job? ie would I be able to start from 44,500?

The job listing say you have to start from the bottom but I think others experience has generally been different. If you can keep your salary you can only start on ~40k as that is the maximum.

Advertisement