Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration Control Officer - Dublin Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭kazmcdonald

Previous employer was only putting the dates I worked and if PAS needed anymore info they could contact HR so I contacted them to see if this was okay and they said that if I can get an original statement of employment from them and bring it on the day – you can attach contact details of the HR department so that we can contact them in due course, should you be successful. I was also told, as I have been unemployed the last couple of months I needed a statement off the social if I was getting a payment. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

What type of donkey work is this. Written reference are something I have only ever needed once and I don't even think that was a job. So what do I ask for? Just to say I worked there or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 RozDoyle

TallGlass wrote: »
    What type of donkey work is this. Written reference are something I have only ever needed once and I don't even think that was a job. So what do I ask for? Just to say I worked there or something?

Hi TallGlass, I've gotten written references a few times before. They usually just confirm the dates that you worked for the company and give a few general positive comments along the lines of working well with others, being an asset to the team/company, etc etc.
    To be honest I don't really see the need for requesting written references if they're going to be ringing the employers to check anyway. Surely just the contact details of the relevant employer would suffice. Just another hoop to make us jump through I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mob123456789

Does anyone know what the parking situation is for non DAA employees at the airport? is there free staff parking or reduced rate or what? Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Does anyone know what the parking situation is for non DAA employees at the airport? is there free staff parking or reduced rate or what? Cheers.

Parking is free for this job anyway

• Advertisement

Oh yeah? Didn't know there was any free parking out there, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Oh yeah? Didn't know there was any free parking out there, cheers.

Yep, you get a permit for one of the staff car parks

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gar1989

Hi guys got my interview but am worried about start dates if I'm successful. I'm due to go away for a wedding for 2 weeks in October and when I rang the other day they said there is no set start date. Does any know if they tend to be accommodating with things like this?

I don't think it's a start date but more a date when the training starts. I think training is 8 weeks so looking at Jan/Feb with training etc.. done.

I don't think it's a start date but more a date when the training starts. I think training is 8 weeks so looking at Jan/Feb with training etc.. done.

Would be great if it is that late when they get started with things like November/December but I heard the take over from the gardai is due to happen in November

• Advertisement

gar1989 wrote: »
    Would be great if it is that late when they get started with things like November/December but I heard the take over from the gardai is due to happen in November

Yeah would be great, but just totally guessing to be honest, but it could move fairly quickly from interview.

Guys are we looking at around 27k starting pay with the allowance.

Anyone know anyone doing the role at the moment, just wondering what advise they would have for someone looking to get into the role?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 benny2008

Guys just wondering have all 199 candidates gotten there interview dates or just the earlier numbers?

benny2008 wrote: »
    Guys just wondering have all 199 candidates gotten there interview dates or just the earlier numbers?

I know a guy in the 200's that got an interview

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Any idea where in the 200s he placed?

Was very low in the 200's as far as I know but they have definitely issued all first round interviews anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 benny2008

Thanks. I didn't apply for ICO. Applied for PASO. They must be interviewing all ICO applicants first & then moving on to PASO applicants.

benny2008 wrote: »
    Thanks. I didn't apply for ICO. Applied for PASO. They must be interviewing all ICO applicants first & then moving on to PASO applicants.

Oh yeah possibly i only applied for ICO haven't a clue about PASO

Yeah would be great, but just totally guessing to be honest, but it could move fairly quickly from interview.

Guys are we looking at around 27k starting pay with the allowance.

Anyone know anyone doing the role at the moment, just wondering what advise they would have for someone looking to get into the role?

425 a week plus 25% shift allowance, 531 a week pay is every 2 weeks so 1062 every 2 weeks bout 27600

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Was very low in the 200's as far as I know but they have definitely issued all first round interviews anyway.

Looks like i missed out by single figures. I was less than 20 from 199 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

425 a week plus 25% shift allowance, 531 a week pay is every 2 weeks so 1062 every 2 weeks bout 27600

Lots of overtime if one is so inclined too...

• Advertisement

Seems fairly reasonable I think. I will be taking a bit drop in pay but I want out of my current industry so I don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

Tall Glass, there's an interview to pass first "I will be taking a drop in pay"

Add in public holidays and salary year one is €28,500 approx for 7 days work a fortnight.

You can't rely on overtime - I'd assume this recruitment campaign will reduce the need for overtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tombolaboy69

A lot of guesswork in this thread, from people talking about how many positions there are, people pulling start dates out of the air. Also a lot of people assuming they have they position. 'Lots of overtime'. My advice to people would be to stop visiting this thread, ask your questions at the interview and don't assume you have the position.

Tall Glass, there's an interview to pass first "I will be taking a drop in pay"

Add in public holidays and salary year one is €28,500 approx for 7 days work a fortnight.

You can't rely on overtime - I'd assume this recruitment campaign will reduce the need for overtime.

Theoretically I would be taking a drop in pay? What's the problem in saying it. Chill out lads jaysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Amanda.ie

Turtyturd wrote: »
    True, and if it was me I wouldn't be taking any chances. But I reckon those who scored higher in the tests will get the majority of the positions unless they really mess up the interview, and the rest called for interview will make up the panel.

Scoring high is one thing, sitting down and talking about yourself, selling yourself is a bit different. What is good on paper is sometimes not all that great in reality.
    For anyone going for the interview, don't go there thinking it's just a formality because it's not. The interview is quiet difficult actually. They will be looking for a certain type of person.

Keep in mind what is involved in the job !!! be prepared for questions like!! what documentation would you ask for at passport control?
    How would you feel about refusing people, families, children leave to enter the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

A lot of guesswork in this thread, from people talking about how many positions there are, people pulling start dates out of the air. Also a lot of people assuming they have they position. 'Lots of overtime'. My advice to people would be to stop visiting this thread, ask your questions at the interview and don't assume you have the position.

You could also ask current serving ICOs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

Tall Glass - this is meant as friendly advice - you said "I will be taking a pay cut". You didn't say you would be IF you got the job. You don't know who reads a forum or how others will read comments in terms of how they might react etc

Other posters have said, don't assume anything.

Interviews are next week - dont know anyone doing them - so best of luck to those who have a slot

Just wondering is there many people here currently serving at a post in the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MisterWelly

Theoretically I would be taking a drop in pay? What's the problem in saying it. Chill out lads jaysis.

When a person has lots of posts here, they are easy to identify. This forum is not anonymous. It takes 30 secs to find out you're a reserve garda and are waiting on interview results for the garda. Is reserve garda on your application form? Are you tall?

People who conduct civil service interviews read this forum. Saying something here that has them prejudiced against you before you walk in the door won't help you.

• Advertisement

When a person has lots of posts here, they are easy to identify. This forum is not anonymous. It takes 30 secs to find out you're a reserve garda and are waiting on interview results for the garda. Is reserve garda on your application form? Are you tall?

People who conduct civil service interviews read this forum. Saying something here that has them prejudiced against you before you walk in the door won't help you.

Yes while I understand, what it came across as. I think you'd be a fool to think you'd gotten past an interview that hasn't even started. I'll be prepping the weekend and hopefully I will pass.

The job would interest me and if I got it I would be taking a cut. But it's the job is more inline with my interests so I do not mind.

I know I am not anonymous, but I don't post anything bad on here, what I said came across the wrong way.

In no way is any interview a formality, it's another stage and another test for you to complete.

Advertisement