Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetsuit

Options
  • 10-06-2016 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi guys.
    I'm looking to purchase my first wetsuit and I would like some recommendations of where I can buy one. I'm living in Louth. I'm a bit uneasy about buying my first one online so if there's a shop within a reasonable distance it'd be great.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Barry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

In no particular order, Swimkit in the National Aquatic Centre, Cyclesuperstore in Tallaght, Wheelworx in Fonthill Liffey Valley and Base2Race in Ballymount all stock wetsuits. I'd ring ahead though to see what they have in stock and sizes. Not all shops keep a huge stock of wetsuits in.

I've only experience of base2race but if you ring ahead you can book in to try the wetsuit in the endless pool (not sure if there is a cost to this. Wasn't last I heard). I think though all them shops stock different brands and will normally try and push their brand on you.

You are going the right way though, your better off trying a wetsuit on in person than buying online, especially your first one. Fit is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭barrymac20

joey100 wrote: »
    In no particular order, Swimkit in the National Aquatic Centre, Cyclesuperstore in Tallaght, Wheelworx in Fonthill Liffey Valley and Base2Race in Ballymount all stock wetsuits. I'd ring ahead though to see what they have in stock and sizes. Not all shops keep a huge stock of wetsuits in.

I've only experience of base2race but if you ring ahead you can book in to try the wetsuit in the endless pool (not sure if there is a cost to this. Wasn't last I heard). I think though all them shops stock different brands and will normally try and push their brand on you.

You are going the right way though, your better off trying a wetsuit on in person than buying online, especially your first one. Fit is key.

Thanks a million.
    I'll have a look into those places.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Turtle001

Are you a standard size when it comes to regular clothes? If so buying online will save you €100 or more easily.

I actually bought mine in base2race and they have a good service there however if you do book in for the pool experience then you'll likely end up buying there. In reality you are paying part of the price to have someone show you how to put it on.

I have friends who bought online and lived to tell the tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

I have friends who bought online and lived to tell the tale.[/QUOTE]

Hi guys, as a complete newbie, I bought a second hand good condition ex rental wetsuit last year in Irish Fit in Sandyford for €50 (plus a free tube of Black Witch) and the lads in the shop were very helpful and fitted me out in an entry level suit that was perfect for me.

I did a few events last year and the suit was perfectly fine and I decided that I was going to stick with O/W swimming (Aquathons and sprint Tri's for now), so I just bought an 'Orca TRN' on Wiggle for €133 (incl delivery). A friend of mine bought one last year off them and was very happy with the suit....so fingers crossed mine is ok when it arrives later in the week! But Wiggle will swap it out if I got the size wrong (and don't rip it putting it on of course :D. I will keep the ex-rental as a spare/loaner to friends looking to get involved in O/W swimming as I am really enjoying it so far.

The very friendly Cycle Superstore in Tallaght are also selling off a few ex rentals (mens and womens) for €50, but they sell out quick, they also have new Zoot and Orca brands for around €200 rising up to €800 for more serious swimmers.....just to have a few options to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

I did a few events last year and the suit was perfectly fine and I decided that I was going to stick with O/W swimming (Aquathons and sprint Tri's for now), so I just bought an 'Orca TRN' on Wiggle for €133 (incl delivery). A friend of mine bought one last year off them and was very happy with the suit....so fingers crossed mine is ok when it arrives later in the week! But Wiggle will swap it out if I got the size wrong (and don't rip it putting it on of course :D. I will keep the ex-rental as a spare/loaner to friends looking to get involved in O/W swimming as I am really enjoying it so far.

Update: The Orca TRN (size 8) was more suited to a young boy with short legs and was returned to Wiggle (no problems at all BTW). I then tried on a Zoot wetsuit in Cycle Superstore and the Medium was too tight and the Large was too loose!
    Finally realised that I (5:10,82kg) was probably a 'Medium Large' in most suits but the Cycle Superstore did not stock that size in the Zoot,so I came across an Aquasphere Pursuit (entry level but decent spec) on Amazon and bought the Medium Large (75k-90kg) and it arrived the other day and fits me perfectly.....result!!

Brexit meant that it was it was only €109 as the Sterling had dropped, so I got a decent deal in the end :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement