Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aspire to an Assistant Principal Post at 2nd Level – Should I do a Course?

Options
  • 10-06-2016 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Need some world wisdom! I’ve been teaching 6 years now and hope to move up the chain once the moratorium is eventually lifted. I’d hope to gain an A Post and then perhaps go for Deputy in years to come (I’m 30 now).

Would anyone advise doing a Post Grad Diploma in Educational Management or Post Grad Diploma in Leadership, N.U.I.M?

Or do you think it is worthwhile doing any of the above in terms of progression or interview weighting?

Finally, does anyone know the difference Between Post Grad Diploma in Educational Management V Leadership?

Many thanks for any advice on the issue,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

There's no harm in doing a course though MEd are becoming more common, especially leadership ones. I became dp and p before I did my MEd but its far more likely you'd be in the minority nowadays. Competition for a posts will be fierce to be honest and I done expect them back as they currently are but rather you work the job. No more posts to make tea or organise a tour.
    DP jobs have a lot of competition too but can be less contentious.
    Days are gone of oldest gets it or friend of P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I'd say tis better to have it than not have it. (Not my cup of tea though so I don't know to what extent it 'prepares you for the role').

Would it be true to say that most of the AP/DP/P jobs are kind of obvious as the candidates have done all the other groundwork stuff 'as well as' the Post Grad/Med qualifications?

I'd say you'll should be putting yourself forward for other stuff too ASAP OP... policy development initiatives, numeracy/literacy strategy, SSE, getting speakers into the school, CPD not necessarily on subject specific stuff, fundraising, Extra Curricular.

You are correct, candidates for A posts are always going to be obvious with groundwork done. DP is a different story as outsiders come into the playground. The important thing to remember is to have your groundwork done, qualifications sorted and extensive preparation for interviews and background.
    The MEd do prepare you for the human aspect of the roles (e.g. Teacher who thinks child should be expelled for looking sideways) but experience gives you so much more.
    Just be sure its what you want- if you want to be DP, do NOT apply for P jobs. They are worlds apart and what suits one, doesn't suit another

• Registered Users Posts: 38 1Elainey1

Thanks for the replies. I have a masters already in my subject area so I'm loathe to go back to slog at a Med when the Post Grad Diploma would probably suffice to tick the box. Would you mind outlining what you see as the groundwork required?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

1Elainey1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I have a masters already in my subject area so I'm loathe to go back to slog at a Med when the Post Grad Diploma would probably suffice to tick the box. Would you mind outlining what you see as the groundwork required?

I'd imagine it's everything else you do on top of teaching your curriculum to help the school/students..... and maybe teachers!

• Advertisement

1Elainey1 wrote: »

You are asked at interview: So how have you contributed to school life/initiative etc. Saying I thought my classes well won't sound good if there is nothing more to add.
    You don't have to do extra things in schools but when you go to the upper management levels, there are so many facets of school life you have to get involved in and that level of commitment needs to be evident.

Advertisement