Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What percentage of the MSc is the thesis worth?

Options
  • 10-06-2016 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭

I have just my thesis left to hand in for my MSc. I got the 60 credits and passed the course with a 71% average. So that would be a first.

What weight would the thesis be on top of the course? I'm not sure is it a universal thing or if every course is different?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

30 credits so basically a third of the overall mark (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Utah wrote: »
    I have just my thesis left to hand in for my MSc. I got the 60 credits and passed the course with a 71% average. So that would be a first.

What weight would the thesis be on top of the course? I'm not sure is it a universal thing or if every course is different?

How did you pass the course if you haven't submitted or been marked on your thesis? Do you mean the 60 credits are a post grad diploma? Sounds like you have just completed the PG dip the thesis will take you up to masters level, usually 30 credits for thesis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

dar100 wrote: »
    How did you pass the course if you haven't submitted or been marked on your thesis? Do you mean the 60 credits are a post grad diploma? Sounds like you have just completed the PG dip the thesis will take you up to masters level, usually 30 credits for thesis

Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant. I've completed all parts of the PGD and will be submitting thesis soon.

Ok, so the PGD is 60 credits the thesis is 30 credits.
    If I got a 71% average in the PGD and, hypthetically, if I got say 50% in the thesis, would that mean I got 63.4% overall?

PGD = 60 credits = 66% of the course
    Thesis = 30 credits = 33% of the course
    (71% of 66%) + (50% of 33%) = 63.4%

Is that the way it works or is the thesis weighted in some way?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Not weighted so it's as you've posted above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Excellent.
    Thanks guys

• Advertisement
Advertisement