Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend locks for bike

Options
  • 10-06-2016 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

I have a new Trek 8.4 DS Hybrid worth €900 and want to buy a lock or two. I'm considering a U-Lock to lock the Frame & Back Wheel to pole etc. Any recommendations? Also would like to lock the front wheel also. I don't like the idea of carry 2 heavy U-Locks as I cycle.

Also in Dublin etc do many thieves steal the saddle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,945 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

forumdedum wrote: »
    I have a new Trek 8.4

Also in Dublin etc do many thieves steal the saddle?
    I was wondering about this the other day aswell, saddle theft seems to be extinct, probably because they got so good at cutting locks and taking the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Something like this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/kryptonite-
    fahgettaboudit-mini-lock/rp-prod18394

For a start would be worthwhile. The smaller the U-Lock the better in terms of safety, the less leverage they can get on the lock the harder it is to break. Big U-Locks are a waste of time. But this is a heavy lock, and it's small size can make it annoying to use.

As for the front wheel, I'd get a second chain or cable lock to loop through the wheels.

I'd also recommend replacing the quick release on both wheels to make it less likely that someone would attempt to steal. It's a small bit of a pain when you have to deal with punctures, but it's not a huge deal and for the extra security it's worth it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I use a Fahgettaboudit mini u-lock to secure the frame and a Kryptonite Series 2 lock to secure the rear wheel and the frame (directly, by looping around a bit of both, or indirectly, in the Sheldon Brown style).

The front wheel is secured by a Pitlock skewer.

The saddle has a hex-nut collar, so I either wax a 1/4" ball bearing into the nut, or fill the nut with epoxy putty so the thief can't be bothered taking the time to dig it out. Same for the nut that secures the fork on the top of the headset.

Advertisement