Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Prix 4000s II Versus Open Pave CG III

• 10-06-2016 7:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭

After this thread about mavic Tyres, I have teh fear. I think they are grand and have had no issues, even downhill during the constant rain of this years Orwell Randonee, but I now have worries in the recesses of my tiny mind.
    But let's face it, I don't think any of the "pros" use them when they are running mavic wheels.

So...

Who'd win in a fight? And why? Or is there a better option?

Who would win in a fight? 32 votes

Continental Grand Prix 4000s II 25mm
    0% 0 votes
    Vittoria Open Pave CG II 25mm
    53% 17 votes
    A. N. Other
    31% 10 votes
    Tyre can't fight, ya sap. AKA Atari Jaguar.
    15% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I like and use both but I have a special place for the open pave having used them as tubs and clinchers. The are for me the perfect early spring /autumn tyre whereas the gp's are great summer speed.

More feel from the Vittoria tyres for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭G1032

You could try the Schwalbe Durano Plus Smartguard

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/schwalbe-durano-plus-road-tyre-smartguard/rp-prod128939

I had the GP4000's 25mm for a while. One developed a big enough bulge in it. The other was fine until it wore down. They were comfortable, no doubt about it, but quite expensive.

The Durano Plus are a super tire. Guy in a local shop recommended them to me over the GP4000's and I'm delighted he did. Comfy, grip well in dry and wet, super super puncture protection and don't cut up. I've the front one on for somewhere between 4000- 4500km and no sign of any significant wear at all. Definitely much longer lasting than GP4000's. I'll 100% be buying them again and can't see myself buying a GP4000 as long as these Duranos are available.

The only Vittoria tyre I ever tried was the Vitorria Rubino Pro (or something like that). They were grand. They were cheap, only 20 odd euro I think, but they cut up easily enough I found (but I know these aren't the Vittorias you ask about)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭C3PO

G1032 wrote: »
    You could try the Schwalbe Durano Plus Smartguard

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/schwalbe-durano-plus-road-tyre-smartguard/rp-prod128939

I had the GP4000's 25mm for a while. One developed a big enough bulge in it. The other was fine until it wore down. They were comfortable, no doubt about it, but quite expensive.

The Durano Plus are a super tire. Guy in a local shop recommended them to me over the GP4000's and I'm delighted he did. Comfy, grip well in dry and wet, super super puncture protection and don't cut up. I've the front one on for somewhere between 4000- 4500km and no sign of any significant wear at all. Definitely much longer lasting than GP4000's. I'll 100% be buying them again and can't see myself buying a GP4000 as long as these Duranos are available.

That's an interesting option - huge fan of Schwalbe MTB tyres but always runs Conti GP 4000s or 4-Seasons on all the road bikes - think I'll give these a try next time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Open Paves for me. Fan of them for years now, like Borderfox I use both tubs and clinchers. Surface rubber can cut up but I can't remember anything getting through to the tube. Currently trying out the new Vittoria Corsa Open G+ tyres.

Vittoria seem to have dropped the Open Pave from their lineup, so if you use them stock up while you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

C3PO wrote: »
    That's an interesting option - huge fan of Schwalbe MTB tyres but always runs Conti GP 4000s or 4-Seasons on all the road bikes - think I'll give these a try next time!

I tried gator skins and hated them as they have no grip, then moved into GP4000s and they lasted a very short time so I've giving up on contis. I picked up a cheap michellen tyre and tube on chain reaction for 14 euro and can't fault it.

Its 18 now http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/michelin-lithion-2-tyre-grey-25c-free-tube/rp-prod119795

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Been having serious issues with the conti's lately. Had 3 sidewall failures in the last 2 months, one was from a hitting a sharp stone which was fair enough but I've had 2 this week on a set of 25's with less than 100k on them and a fairly big sidewall blowout. Stitching seems to be splitting on them but I'm back on 23's now as I've never had a problem with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

El Caballo wrote: »
    Been having serious issues with the conti's lately. Had 3 sidewall failures in the last 2 months, one was from a hitting a sharp stone which was fair enough but I've had 2 this week on a set of 25's with less than 100k on them and a fairly big sidewall blowout. Stitching seems to be splitting on them but I'm back on 23's now as I've never had a problem with them.

Any chance your brake pads were rubbing off the side walls of the 25s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭snottybridge

Had 2 blowouts recently on conti 25s,sidewall stitching gone in places, very little mileage on the tyre, upon closer inspection looks like break pads were rubbing off tyre,both blowouts happened when braking on a descent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭koutoubia

I have been an avid user of Vittoria for many years but in the last 2 to 3 years have found the quality of the tyres to be dropping.
    While they are a really nice tyre to ride they are becoming simply too unreliable and when my stock has been depleted I will move to Conti.
    I understand that blowouts can happen on any tyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

ted1 wrote: »
    I tried gator skins and hated them as they have no grip, then moved into GP4000s and they lasted a very short time so I've giving up on contis. I picked up a cheap michellen tyre and tube on chain reaction for 14 euro and can't fault it.

Its 18 now http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/michelin-lithion-2-tyre-grey-25c-free-tube/rp-prod119795

+1 on the michelins. Will be my choice of tyre for winter from now on after noticing the front tyre saving me twice during the winter from crashes. And at the price I don't see why I'd spend the extra on more expensive tyres.

Vittoria Rubino pro's are also a good option at under 20 euros on some sites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭C3PO

Had 2 blowouts recently on conti 25s,sidewall stitching gone in places, very little mileage on the tyre, upon closer inspection looks like break pads were rubbing off tyre,both blowouts happened when braking on a descent.

I've done the same thing recently - can be difficult to replicate on a work stand what actually happens when 80kgs is sitting on the tyre!! Felt like a proper gobs**te!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Thanks everyone for the input!

I went with the Conti Grand prix 4000s II for todays Wicklow 200.

Seems the Open paves are more winter based!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I voted A.N. Other.

My preference is for Michelin Pro 4. That said, I can't make a comparison with the other two mentioned.

I'll be swapping out my current Pro 4 set this week. There's over 5,000km on them and they've never skipped a beat grip-wise. In the 5,000km the front has punctured once and the rear twice (the second was today).

They roll really well if a bit noisy and are easy to fit by hand.

Advertisement