Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling art

Options
  • 10-06-2016 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Any tips on selling paintings/drawings?I'm no professional but I'm handy enough at it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JoseJoestar

This advice is going to be very general in the hopes that it can help both OP and anyone lurking.

Shop through jobs on conceptart.org, look on tumblr and other art and blogging sites for people making artist-wanted ads (not deviantart because most of them are kids and or will only pay in deviantart points which are useless). If you know anyone who has a job where they may have some connections like someone in web design or maybe even another artist who's more established than you, ask them if they could use work or if they know anyone who could. Asking upcoming youtubers if they need channel or thumbnail art is also good.

A lot of these only apply well to digital art though, where it seems much easier to find art jobs these days- if you're a traditional artist go onto sites like craiglist and you might find people looking to buy art. Also, local pubs, especially in smaller towns could be up for local art. Seeing if there are craft shops in your county also helps.

(also I don't know if this is a big enough question to get its own thread- any artists in tralee? I can't seem to find any.)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

With art it can cost literally anything or whatever people are willing to pay. You could go out on the street a sell paintings for €20, then bring those same paintings to a gallery in the evening and sell them for €600 and nobody would bat an eyelid. No one at the gallery would turn around to you and say "that's only street art worth €20". Well, some **** might but for the most part they'll accept whatever's put in front of them as being art worth money.

My sister is a college educated artist, she'll charge €400 up for paintings. She doesn't get the opportunity to sell them all that often though. She needs to get the paintings in the right place so the right people see them. I also found out that if she doesn't sell paintings she can't try and sell them off at a discount to try and get some money in because that would devalue every other painting she's done and it's a bad thing. She might have €2000 worth of paintings and is desperately looking for someone to buy them. So basically art pricing is completely random and depends on who you're selling to and where you are.

I often see guys on the streets of Galway selling watercolor painting around A5 for around €40, they're straight forward enough paintings that they can probably do in a few minutes and are mostly sold to tourists.

Typical pricing seems to be between €20 - €150. What you may want to do is try selling stuff around the €20-€50 and whatever you sell just let everyone know if their looking to commission anything you can do that too, then you can start to charge €60+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

set up a simple website (Weebly / Wix maybe, but not the free option. Pay the few quid extra for your own URL) ... upload your best images and paintings that are available to purchase. Get some business cards and fliers printed. Start a Twitter account to drive people to your website. Set up an Instagram account for your paintings. Try and upload new work as often as you can. Attend exhibitions, circulate with the art crowd and get your name out there.

I know this publication is a bit dated but its still really good..

How to Make Money as an Artist. The 7 Winning Strategies of Successful Fine Artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Th best way to sell art is probably at an exhibition. Find out what exhibitions are on in your area if any, go and speak to people there and see if they are interested in showing any of your work or if they know of anywhere. If there's no exhibitions on then you'll probably have to set one up yourself, maybe if you know any other artists, try and get them involved as well, artists are always looking for a chance to exhibit their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Could you set up a Facebook page and upload pictures of your current canvases? I know of love an original piece of art for my house but can't find any places to buy original art

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Marle Meza

Could you set up a Facebook page and upload pictures of your current canvases? I know of love an original piece of art for my house but can't find any places to buy original art

Sometimes artists sell their work at markets and fairs. I do, I love meeting people who buy from me. I currently only sell my original art and don't as yet do prints, which I will further down the line, but enjoy the thrill of knowing my works are hanging in their lovely new homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

I know this is an old thread sorry to drag it up just wondering did you eventually start selling your art as print? If so how do you go about it, eg do you go to print shop with your art or do you have your own scanner etc to do your own prints?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ScottSchultz

I would say find a niche, stick to it, keep on creating and sharing in social media (instagram is great for that) and don't give up. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

as scottschultz says, keep at it, and develop a niche.

if you are that way inclined maybe a youtube account to promote it, showing your process or whatever. to sell, you need people to want to buy and people buy pretty much anything.

an artist i love is 10 hundred, just love his stuff. still trying to get these 2:

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/562fa82be4b02362ed9ebf68/1547472018360-NIIZZ9C9V9QKS6GUVW66/Dogs-Playing-Poker-Scan2.jpg

Advertisement