Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Learner licence query/test

• 10-06-2016 7:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

I had a provisional licence for a bike around 7 years ago, I did not apply for test , though I did sit the theory test. I am wondering can I renew it or do I have to start all over again as I now want to do the test.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

After 7 years it's long gone, it's a fresh start it looks like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

shawnee wrote: »
    I had a provisional licence for a bike around 7 years ago, I did not apply for test , though I did sit the theory test. I am wondering can I renew it or do I have to start all over again as I now want to do the test.

This is tricky enough to answer.

First of all, what matters is when the last permit expired. If it expired more than 5 years ago then you will be starting over. If it's inside 5 years, even by a day then you're good to renew it.

The next big question is what category? Maybe you only had A1. Assuming you did have a the ole 'A-restricted' learner category, the next question is about IBT- if you want to get onto full power bikes, you will either have to take IBT now or later. If you are able to renew the permit, you can avoid IBT and take the A2 test but you won't graduate to A bikes after two years like you would have before; you'd need to get the A through progressive access or by taking A IBT and passing the A test later.

So if you're over 5 years and you're starting over, there is still a chance you might avoid the theory test. The question is that of if you took the car theory test at some point between 2001 and 2006 and went on to either pass the car driving test OR have held car learner permits since without any breaks of 5+ years. If either is the case, then you could avoid the theory test. However, if the only theory test you ever took was the bike one after 2006 and your permit expired more than 5 years ago, you're Shiit out of luck and will have to start over including a bike theory test again.

If you think any or all of the above might be the case, the best thing to do is call the NDLS with your driver number and ask them how you're fixed.

If you're right back to the start, the process is DTT + LP + IBT + 6mths + Test = happiness

As a general point, I'd advise you that if are going right back to the start of the process, take the bull by the horns and go for a full A. There's nearly the same rigmarole to go the a full A as a full AM- you can always use school bikes for training and tests so you're still free to have the bike of your choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Thanks for the thorough answer cantdecide. Licence expired in 08 and I did pass the ttheory test. I have a full car licence with m on it that allows me to drive up to 50cc. Feck it sounds a long winded process at my age to get my licence. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

shawnee wrote: »
    Thanks for the thorough answer cantdecide. Licence expired in 08 and I did pass the ttheory test. I have a full car licence with m on it that allows me to drive up to 50cc. Feck it sounds a long winded process at my age to get my licence. :(

Yes, the days of just picking up a permit and buying a restricted bike are long gone. However, whenever I see someone close to me going through the formal training process, I feel relieved the regime exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

I fully agree with bike lessons, they are really necessary. I took quite a few some years back but decided to give biking a rest and sold out but think it's in the dna so will stick to the dirt tracks for the moment and hopefully will get sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement