Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apres Match Euro 2016

• 10-06-2016 10:36pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭

First sketch of the tournament tonight, they were taking the piss of TV3 and those 'we were there' TV License ads, maybe a bit too close to the bone for RTE but pretty funny, they're off to a good start.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Will these be on RTE player at some point? Usually end up missing half of them.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

They usually are so i'd expect the same.

Loved the TV3 p!sstake tonight, very funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

The repeat of the game is on rte player, apres match is at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Apres Match has been ****e for god knows how long and tonight was no excpetion. It's like the Simpsons at this stage, it's been so long since it was funny that I'm starting to doubt if it ever really was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Apres Match has been ****e for god knows how long and tonight was no excpetion. It's like the Simpsons at this stage, it's been so long since it was funny that I'm starting to doubt if it ever really was.

Meh. A generic blanket description to be honest, it has it's hits and misses. Tonight was quite good I thought.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Meh. A generic blanket description to be honest, it has it's hits and misses. Tonight was quite good I thought.

Not generic or blanket, I'm referring to one specific show that's been running way too long and stopped being funny years ago, the same as the Simpsons, hence my non generic, non blanket point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Not generic or blanket, I'm referring to one specific show that's been running way too long and stopped being funny years ago, the same as the Simpsons, hence my non generic, non blanket point.

How has it be running for too long?

It's only on every 2 years in short bursts unlike The Simpsons which have to fill 24 episodes each year.

I've always found it funny and lasts night's sketch was good.

They were good during the World Cup too with good sketches slagging Dunphy over cursing in air.

You need to drop your prejudices and judge each sketch on its merits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I meant blanket by saying it stopped being funny years ago, I'd be surprised if you haven't found a least a few sketches funny in those years but fair enough if you haven't.

Corholio wrote: »
    I meant blanket by saying it stopped being funny years ago, I'd be surprised if you haven't found a least a few sketches funny in those years but fair enough if you haven't.

I honestly haven't found it funny... but maybe that's just me, I'm certainly not saying people are wrong if they like it. We all like whatever we like.

I'm just one of those who liked it when it was on first but thought it went really bad. Among people I chat to most seem to think it's awful... I'm surprised to see so many on here still hold it in high regard.

murpho999 wrote: »
    How has it be running for too long?

It's only on every 2 years in short bursts unlike The Simpsons which have to fill 24 episoðs each year.

I've always found it funny and lasts night's sketch was good.

They were good during the World Cup too with good sketches slagging Dunohy over cursing in air.

You need to drop your prejudices and judge each sketch on its merits.

I'm prejudiced now for not liking a comedy sketch? Prejudiced against things I don't find funny I guess... fair enough.

• Advertisement

I'm prejudiced now for not liking a comedy sketch? Prejudiced against things I don't find funny I guess... fair enough.

Yes, I woukd call,a post that has a sweeping generalisation not based in fact to be prejudiced or at least open to being perceived as prejudiced.

Anyhow, if you don't like it, just don't watch it and let others enjoy it if they want.

Yes, I woukd call,a post that has a sweeping generalisation not based in fact to be prejudiced or at least open to being perceived as prejudiced.

Anyhow, if you don't like it, just don't watch it and let others enjoy it if they want.

Not based in fact? I've watched the show and drawn a conclusion. How exactly would one dislike a TV show "based in fact" if not by watching the show?

Also, I'm not sure how me posting my opinion here prevents anyone from watching and enjoying the show. Or is this a thread for Apres Match lovers only?

Not based in fact? I've watched the show and drawn a conclusion. How exactly would one dislike a TV show "based in fact" if not by watching the show?

Also, I'm not sure how me posting my opinion here prevents anyone from watching and enjoying the show. Or is this a thread for Apres Match lovers only?

You really sound like a barrel of laughs , so no wonder you don't like it.

Good luck.

I am a barrel of laughs, must be all the Apres Match I watch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I love apres match, i think the sketches are brilliant, I thought friday nights sketch was hilarious personally, taking the piss out of tv3's morning show....brilliant

I was hoping it would be on the rte player but its not.

I love apres match, i think the sketches are brilliant, I thought friday nights sketch was hilarious personally, taking the piss out of tv3's morning show....brilliant

I was hoping it would be on the rte player but its not.

I haven't checked it, but it could be that it's tagged on at the end of the match programme itself and you may have to click onto that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Another pretty good one tonight. They seem to be on form this year.

Arghus wrote: »

Ah feck i missed it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

monkey9 wrote: »
    I haven't checked it, but it could be that it's tagged on at the end of the match programme itself and you may have to click onto that.

It has it's own thingy

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/euro-2016-extras-30003616/10584260/

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Arghus wrote: »

Didn't find it funny at all personally. Thought Friday's one was good. I wonder how long it'll be before they start taking the piss out of Duff and the likes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^

its not fair taking the mickey out of the new fellas i think, they're nervous enough as it is..no need to make them more self-concious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Lol on, "It's weird o'clock." and then the creepy priest comes in to do 'Night Light'. I have fond-ish memories of when weird stuff used to come on RTE after 11 or 12 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

That_Guy wrote: »
    Didn't find it funny at all personally. Thought Friday's one was good. I wonder how long it'll be before they start taking the piss out of Duff and the likes.

I'd say its about finding little characterisms in the pundits.

Trevor Welch and Keith Andrews are teeing themselves up for Apres Match Comedy gold! I fact its a comedy in itself, without Apres Match!
    Id like to see them take the piss out of Aidan and Jacqui also and I imagine they will have a fair few Joey "the Philosopher" Barton onews lined up, perhaps, Joeys thoughts of the day or something! (Check him out on twitter if you dont know what I mean!)

Other potential good sketches could be
    Martin O Neill v Tony O Donoghue (the tension between them in interviews is unreal! O Donoghue looks like he is scared sh1tless!

they always throw a few GAA ones in so maybe Brolly and Tomas o se,

Player wise, Shane Long' sing a longs might have a bit of potential.

Brian Kerr is self explanatory!

Apres Match will have its biggest sketches for Ireland matches but its the hidden gems that come about after the likes of a Romania and Albania game that usually become the best remembered!

the whistling is the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I liked apres match because it had something to do with the football. everyone got riled up watching a serious game and then they'd take the piss out of said game and us for taking it so seriously.

what's all this nonsense about morning Ireland and tv3 weather and the like? seems totally unrelated to the euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I wouldn't say you are prejudiced at all. You come across to me as somebody who doesn't have a great attention span and get's bored quite easily.

Apres match I can take or leave but there have been some great shows and last night's was very, very good.

I liked apres match because it had something to do with the football. everyone got riled up watching a serious game and then they'd take the piss out of said game.

what's all this nonsense about morning Ireland and tv3 weather and the like? seems totally unrelated to the euros.

ah, there was always one or two of those thrown in. The tv3 p1ss take is brilliant! Its bang on! Just a bit of banter to start the ball rolling!
    Almost all these sketches are premade, they have to be written, produced and acted and get second opinions. They wouldnt have time to get a quality written and produced sketch out every day on a topical subject.

They also will have to develop some new characters and see what the public are reacting to.......ie Keith Andrews' shouting and everyone complaining and irked by it will set up a few sketches. Pre tournament, bar a few europa league matches it wasnt really a talking point.

Its not easy to get a consistent level of funny material out every night (or however regular it is this year) without having to step out of the soccer domain somewhat.
    The Eamon Dunphy impersonation whilst still funny has been done to bits over the last 16 years or more and if you had to listen to that every night it would be negative craic.
    Topical, Diverse, original, relatable and precise are the main ingrediants but its pointless having them without the humorous material!

Its short and silly but thats why its more often than not, funny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I wouldn't call myself a major fan by any means, but I remember a sketch done a few years ago which revolved around Sonia O'Sullivan talking to Dunphy on the phone from Australia and the utter confusion that ensued due to the time delay. It was such a clever and well executed gag.

The Apres Match "Match of the Day" specials were very well done! Was watching the Ireland Romania one last night. The p1ss take of the adverts was a nice touch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Only one video up on the rte player? Or am I using it wrong

emo72 wrote: »
    Only one video up on the rte player? Or am I using it wrong

theres 2 that i cann see. The one about Norrrrrdddinnnnnn Ireland and the TV3 p1ss take one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Apt user name if ever there was one.

Apres Match has, nin my opinion been ****e for god knows how long and tonight in my opiniont was no excpetion. To meIt's like the Simpsons at this stage, it's been so long since it was funny in my opinionthat I'm starting to doubt if it ever really was but I still watch it so as that I can go on Boards and slag it.
    Not generic or blanket, I'm referring to one specific show that's been running way too long and stopped being funny years ago,in my opinion the same as the Simpsons, hence my non generic, non blanket point.but I seen a boards thread so I had to come on and slag it!

Couple of minor alterations for you

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Maybe it's just me but I kind of figured it was their opinion, considering it was them that posted the comments and all.

vidor wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me but I kind of figured it was their opinion, considering it was them that posted the comments and all.

Ah yeah, I was just kidding about there! Apologies! Humour isn't scientific, it's personal attitude!

Sure I do the same thing myself all the time, adamant that my opinion is fact!!!

• Advertisement

Couple of minor alterations for you

Yes my opinion... Thanks for telling that things I say are my opinion.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I wouldn't say you are prejudiced at all. You come across to me as somebody who doesn't have a great attention span and get's bored quite easily.

Apres match I can take or leave but there have been some great shows and last night's was very, very good.

Short attention span because I don't like a 2 minute sketch? Okay then...

Also, there's no apostrophe in "gets". You might want to check your grammar when commenting on someone's intelligence.

Yes my opinion... Thanks for telling that things I say are my opinion.

see ............./l\
    above post ....l

In fairness though you were quite damning and assured that your opinion was right! You can't deny that!

And now you are giving about someone's minor grammar mistake on a boards.ie thread yet you moan when someone points out your sentence structure (omitting "in my opinion" ) in an opinion post!

see ............./l\
    above post .....l

In fairness though you were quite damning and assured that your opinion was right! You can't deny that!

I was damning on an internet forum because in my opinion Apres Match is rubbish. I saw the headline in the soccer forum and clicked in to see what people thought, was surprised to see everyone singing its praises so commented with my opinion of the show.

Not sure why people seem so annoyed by that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭TonyCliftonEsq

How about some videos eh?

• Advertisement

I was damning on an internet forum because in my opinion Apres Match is rubbish. I saw the headline in the soccer forum and clicked in to see what people thought, was surprised to see everyone singing its praises so commented with my opinion of the show.

Not sure why people seem so annoyed by that...

I'm not annoyed at all! I alluded to that above. I was just messing about !
    I never questioned your entitlement to your opinion or sense of humour !

I do get annoyed with people who point out minor spelling mistakes on a boards thread though! It's a cheap shot! ;)

Let's just leave it now!

I'm not annoyed at all! I alluded to that above. I was just messing about !
    I never questioned your entitlement to your opinion or sense of humour !

I do get annoyed with people who point out minor spelling mistakes on a boards thread though! It's a cheap shot! ;)

Cheap shot at someone who suggested my dislike of Apres Match was a result of a lack of attention span. When you get personal the cheap shots become legitimate.

And I'll leave it when people stop quoting me :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Just not the same without an O'Herlihy impression.

That one was a cracker!! Really enjoyed it. "We'll be back with the second half of the Angelus after this commercial break". :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Not great. 3/4 now using tv3 characters

That was the second today. The first was the weather man for the full clip

Did they rip off that ad with all the weather presenters or the other way round?
    That guy deserves the mocking though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Sparko

Vincent Browne doing the rose of tralee was good alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

zarquon wrote: »

Love the mark Cagney depiction! Spot on!

As is the Aidan Cooney and the baker from Odlums who is always on!!

Love the mark Cagney depiction! Spot on!

As is the Aidan Cooney and the baker from Odlums who is always on!!

I enjoyed but I never watch TV3 breakfast (or any TV in the morning) so didn't really get the jokes.

Been a good start though and I look forward to the rest.

I enjoyed but I never watch TV3 breakfast (or any TV in the morning) so didn't really get the jokes.

Been a good start though and I look forward to the rest.

ha, it makes no sense if you havent seen Ireland AM in fairness!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement