Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Human Nutrition UCD

• 10-06-2016 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I'm looking for some kind individual to give me some advice on Human Nutrition, as a course. I have just completed first year in Radiation Therapy in Trinity, and because of my lack of interest in pursuing Radiation Therapy as a career, I've decided to change course. I have an extremely strong interest food and am genuinely curious about nutrition. Science also interests me, so Human Nutrition seems to be the perfect marriage of the two. I would appreciate if someone could inform me on the workload of the course (hours per week, difficulty of modules etc), job prospects for graduates, and how it compares to Food Science.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭nerd95

Clo97 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking for some kind individual to give me some advice on Human Nutrition, as a course. I have just completed first year in Radiation Therapy in Trinity, and because of my lack of interest in pursuing Radiation Therapy as a career, I've decided to change course. I have an extremely strong interest food and am genuinely curious about nutrition. Science also interests me, so Human Nutrition seems to be the perfect marriage of the two. I would appreciate if someone could inform me on the workload of the course (hours per week, difficulty of modules etc), job prospects for graduates, and how it compares to Food Science.
    Thanks

Hi there- I'm not actually studying Human Nutrition in UCD but my housemate is so I do have some knowledge of the course (I'm actually studying science in UCD). Basically, from what I have gathered anyway, the modules in human nutrition overlap quite a bit with our science modules- my housemate was even in some of the same lectures as me last year such as cell biology and genetics etc. Therefore, if you like both science and nutrition, it would certainly be an interesting course for you (you would have several labs a week too). I know that they also have modules in physiology and medical basis of disease which are also science based modules- Therefore, considering I have covered similar modules myself, I can say that the workload is definitely manageable. Furthermore, in third year, all nutrition students are required to complete a one year placement (which they help you to organise) so my housemate is off to Nottingham for the year to gain experience in a lab. That being said, you don't have to go abroad- you can also do a placement in Ireland too (depending on what the offers are of course)- I know some who are working in temple street for example. As regards to food science, I unfortunately cannot help you on that as I have absolutely no idea what it is like or how it compares to nutrition. What I would recommend though is looking at UCD Course Search- it is a very helpful site that gives you an indication of what the core modules for any course will be - if you click the first option "Agriculture, food and nutrition" it will show the degree for human nutrition. It also includes a description of each module, the workload, how you will be assessed etc. You could perhaps have a look at that to see how human nutrition compares to food science??? There is even a description of the year long placement on Course Search so it may be of use :)

Advertisement