Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is my Driver Swing Fix wrong?

• 10-06-2016 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi folks, need your input please. I have found a way to Stop slicing my driver. The thing is it goes against everything in the game about swinging the "RIGHT WAY!". First what is natural for me: strong grip, perpendicular alignment great contact, ball starts out straight to target for 175 yds+ then veers right, trajectory really nice. Ball ends up 50-60 yds right in the trees/rough/next fairway. Fix is as follows: shift body/ alignment/ direction etc 2 o'clock and bomb it. Result is STRAIGHT DOWN FAIRWAY NO CURVE . Result is great but I'm convinced all it is is a pure pull cos there's totally no curvature on the ball flight. If I was perpendicular to target then it would be considered a straight pull and ball would bomb to 11 o'clock! Anything I have researched would suggest this is a pure pull. So accordingly iam led to believe it's wrong but with a good result. I haven't got around to trying to swing in to out for that "ideal swing" yet. That's my next objective. Should I take my chances etc or disregard it as simply the wrong way to swing the driver and opt for the in to out. Should golf be about doing it right or simply getting results (without really believing in what your taught). Hope this makes sense what I've just explained. Any comments helpful!, ⛳️😄

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Sugarblue wrote: »
    Hi folks, need your input please. I have found a way to Stop slicing my driver. The thing is it goes against everything in the game about swinging the "RIGHT WAY!". First what is natural for me: strong grip, perpendicular alignment great contact, ball starts out straight to target for 175 yds+ then veers right, trajectory really nice. Ball ends up 50-60 yds right in the trees/rough/next fairway. Fix is as follows: shift body/ alignment/ direction etc 2 o'clock and bomb it. Result is STRAIGHT DOWN FAIRWAY NO CURVE (265/270 yds). Result is great but I'm convinced all it is is a pure pull cos there's totally no curvature on the ball flight. If I was perpendicular to target then it would be considered a straight pull and ball would bomb to 11 o'clock! Anything I have researched would suggest this is a pure pull. So accordingly iam led to believe it's wrong but with a good result. I haven't got around to trying to swing in to out for that "ideal swing" yet. That's my next objective. Should I take my chances etc or disregard it as simply the wrong way to swing the driver and opt for the in to out. Should golf be about doing it right or simply getting results (without really believing in what your taught). Hope this makes sense what I've just explained. Any comments helpful!, ⛳️😄
    Was actually just reading an article there that was talking about this kind of thing on golfwrx. Basically a pro writing that there is no one right way to swing a club, what matters is clubface at the point of impact & not how you get there, ie look at Furyk vs Scott.

What you're thinkin, by the sound of things is not actually counterintuitive. One way I've seen recommended to conquer a slice is to point your body at 2 o'clock-ish & swing on the line of your body as that will naturally point you towards an in to out path

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sugarblue

Yeah after maybe 100s of YouTube videos I've watched but all are talking about how to draw the ball or else in to out but I'm convinced I'm still over the top just 2 o'clock and can't decide on any permanent strategy for consistency at my age/ handicap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Try to find a "How to fix my 270 yard straight drive" video and let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,752 ✭✭✭DeBurca

It does not matter how you stand to the ball it is the shot that counts and not your stance or alignment
    Golf is a game of how many and not what type of shot you played, there is only a place on the score card for your score and not how you achieved it

Like you I to have had to stand closed to the ball to get the ball on the fairway but I always put this down to a back injury I received many many years ago
    So go out and enjoy the game and have fun playing your approach shot from the short stuff and remember golf is spelled FUN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Sugarblue wrote: »
    Yeah after maybe 100s of YouTube videos I've watched but all are talking about how to draw the ball or else in to out but I'm convinced I'm still over the top just 2 o'clock and can't decide on any permanent strategy for consistency at my age/ handicap

I think the difference is with your new swing you are more committed plus more speed and what's happening is your completing your turn.
    I went through this myself I was hitting the ball as opposed to swinging a full arc. I try to imagine my arc before I swing and more importantly where I'll be looking when I finish left field 9 o clock. Try it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement