Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin

Options
  • 10-06-2016 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hey Everyone,

Moving to Dublin at the end of the month for work in city centre and currently on the lookout for accommodation.

My knowledge of surrounding areas of the city centre are limited so was looking for advice on the best areas to look at. Looking at a 20/30 min commute by Luas/Dart/Bus at most. Areas i have been looking at so far have been the likes of Clontarf on the northside and then southside i have been looking at the likes of Rathmines/Rathgar/Ranelagh.

Is there any areas including those mentioned you would aim for over another?I Im also looking for all the usual things you would want in an area, supermarkets, pubs restaurants etc, somewhere that is a good spot to live.

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

All those places you've mentioned are fine. Rathmines, Rathgar, Ranelagh would probably have more younger professionals living in them. All will be fairly expensive at the moment too but good spots to live. I lived in Ballsbridge for about 2 years and loved it there but the rent forced me to move eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I can recommend Ranelagh. If you've got the money, there's a lifestyle on offer there to rival anywhere in Europe, notwithstanding Irish weather.

Pubs, restaurants, cafes, take aways, boutiques. All top quality. Good groceries and supermarkets available, both indie and chain. It's within walking distance of town, on the Luas, good bus routes as well. Lively on the main road, quiet on the side streets.

The only negative is that it is a difficult place to leave Dublin from. I was living there when my brother was living in Williamsburg in Brooklyn. I preferred the Ranelagh life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

It really depends on your budget. If money's no object then Clontarf is hard to beat.

I've never been a fan of the Southside R's tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,263 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Clontarf - lovely place to live but a lot of it isn't actually that close to the DART stations (Clontarf Road or Killester), especially along the coast towards Vernon Avenue which would have the biggest cluster of shops and restaurants. Your public transport options there are the 130 bus.
    If you are going to be reliant on the DART then you need to pay attention to the location of the DART stations. The DART station is called Clontarf Road rather than Clontarf for a reason :(

If you aren't planning to get a car then Ranelagh \ Rathmines would be a good option. Has everything you need on foot and city centre is walkable.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jayo5012

Cheers everyone for your replies.

Yep i noticed that with Clontarf odyssey, there was a house share i thought would be great, then went to see how long it would take to get to the dart station, was an age away!

Any thoughts on the likes of Fairview and Kilmainham? The one good thing about working in the city centre there is plenty of bus services so dont necessarily have to be on the dart or luas lines but dont want to be taking forever to get into town either!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Ranelagh is hands-down my favourite part of Dublin. As previously mentioned it has everything (apart from the sea).

Rathmines would be a respectable second to Ranelagh (and it's very nearby).

Clontarf is lovely, Fairview is nice enough although the park suffers from a skanger problem, but once you get closer in towards town (North Strand / Five Lamps area) or too far west (Ballybough) things get grim.

For a vibe that has some of the nice pubs / cafes and proximity to town etc. of the likes of a Ranelagh or Rathmines, but a bit less 'posh', it's worth at least having a look at Phibsboro or Stoneybatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 otoolej2

I've been living in Rathmines as a student/worker for the last 4 years now, could'ent recommend it enough. Loads of grocery shops, really cool pubs, excellent public transport options including bus and luas, quite close to the city, great selection of lunch spots, gym/leisure centre just off the main street, a few quaint cafes around also and theres just a great vibe around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 susmac

Can I jump on this thread? Am moving from Cork with my husband and 20month old. I've got a course which will involve a number of placements that could be anywhere between westmeath and kildare, and also blocks of teaching in city centre. Hubby hasn't got a job yet. Any info on best places for young families with good transport links? Have a car but obviously that isn't going to be most convenient for everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I'd suggest somewhere in west Dublin. Blanchardstown, maybe Clondlakin.

It's really going to come down to budget and availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I would also put Lucan in those areas MarcAnthony listed, as they are all along the commuter belt on the West of the county and well served by public transport if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 rufus_firefly

Ranelagh is hands-down my favourite part of Dublin. As previously mentioned it has everything (apart from the sea).
    Doesn't have charity shops or a library.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Doesn't have charity shops or a library.

Rathmines 5 minutes away has loads of the first and a fine example of the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Whats it like actually securing a house in Ranelagh? Looking on daft ads posted have hundreds of views within hours. I would be flexible on budget for the wrought place but I'm concerned about the ability to actually find somewhere.

Advertisement