Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - Group A - Albania vs Switzerland aka Xhaka vs Xhaka, Sat. 2 pm, RTE & BBC

• 11-06-2016 12:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

albania-switzerland-preview-badge-graphic_3480348.jpg?20160608171306

Albania vs Switzerland

2:00pm Saturday 11th June
    Stade Felix Bollaert-Delelis, Lens

fc_xhakabro_1296x729.jpg&w=738&site=espnfc

Not a game that looks terribly exciting at first glance, but this game will have a very interesting subplot: two brothers could feature against one another for the first time at a European Championship.

It's not guaranteed: Taulant Xhaka's fitness will be monitored by Albania, but if he is passed fit then we should see a bit of history.

The background:
    In the red and white corner, recent £30 million Arsenal signing Granit will represent Switzerland, to whom he committed in 2011; in the red and black corner, Taulant will line up for Euro 2016 underdogs Albania, having debuted in September 2014 in time for their remarkable run to the finals.

It is a match-up without precedent in a major international tournament; Kevin-Prince Boateng and Jerome Boateng lined up on opposite sides when Ghana and Germany met at the 2014 World Cup, but they are half-brothers. The Xhakas' situation feels more immediate, more rooted in modern European history and geopolitics.

Their parents, Ragip and Elmaze, were among the thousands who arrived in Switzerland from the ethnically Albanian Kosovo while it was still a part of the former Yugoslavia, primarily due a political situation that soon veered into a bloody war. Their sons were born after they had settled in Basel. Five other members of the Swiss squad -- Shaqiri and the Watford midfielder Valon Behrami among them -- join Granit in having Albanian heritage, and, remarkably, nine of the Albanian party were born or brought up in Switzerland. To some extent, Saturday's fixture in Lens will be contested between players who had someday hoped to be working alongside each other.

Not least Granit. He openly stated his wish to play for Albania before, frustrated by the the football federation's lack of proactivity in enlisting his services, making his decision to play for Switzerland instead. Taulant was less eagerly pursued by the Swiss setup, and that left the door open for him to represent Albania, finally making his first appearance in the 1-0 win in Portugal that set the tone for an eventful and sometimes stormy Group I campaign.

"Family is the most important thing to me," Granit said in an interview three and a half years ago. "Especially my brother Taulant -- we talk about everything together."

http://www.espnfc.com/european-championship/74/blog/post/2889739/taulant-and-granit-xhaka-two-brothers-face-off-in-switzerland-vs-albania

Quite interesting the crossover factor here with the players. Which brother will be celebrating at the final whistle?

Possible teams (credit The Guardian):

Albania

Berisha

--Hysaj
    Cana
    Mavraj
    Agolli--

Xhaka
    Abrashi
    Memushaj

Gashi
    Cikalleshi
    Lenjani

Switzerland

Sommer

--Lichtsteiner
    Schar
    Djourou
    Rodriguez--

Behrami
    Xhaka
    Dzemaili

Shaqiri
    Seferovic
    Mehmedi

What are your predictions for this one? I'm not expecting it to be as open as France vs Romania was. No player for Albania scored more than one goal during the qualifying campaign.

I'm going to go for a bit of an upset here and say Albania to nick it 1-0.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I wish Liverpool would sign one of the Xhakas. How could you turn down a midfield partnership of Xhaka Can?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I wish Liverpool would sign one of the Xhakas. How could you turn down a midfield partnership of Xhaka Can?

If Payet's goal was a post it would be this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It'll be interesting to see Lorik Cana playing CB. He had an excellent season at Sunderland a few years ago playing DM but filled in a couple of times at CB too. He played there against Liverpool at the Stadium of Light in the 2nd half of the beachball game and was immense. One of the best performances I've seen from an individual player at the club. I have rarely watched him play since he left however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Paully D wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see Lorik Cana playing CB. He had an excellent season at Sunderland a few years ago playing DM but filled in a couple of times at CB too. He played there against Liverpool at the Stadium of Light in the 2nd half of the beachball game and was immense. One of the best performances I've seen from an individual player at the club. I have rarely watched him play since he left however.

I remember him! Also remember being very impressed with him but haven't seen one bit of him either since he left Sunderland. i think Albania might surprise a few. I think they'll get a draw today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

"I Feel For You"

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Switzerland should win this one , but there known to have an odd wobbly could be one here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Go Albania!!

latest?cb=20110827072630

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

They've only ever one Euros game but this should be the 2nd one, fancy Shaqiri to score anytime as a bet. Albania should better than people expect though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Switzerland not a bad starting 11 in fairness to them.

CkqupsEWsAA6_6v.jpg:large

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

this is the type of game that tv companies from teams who have qualified talk about their own team. TV companies from non-qualified teams start broadcasting at 1.59pm..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

dfx- wrote: »
    this is the type of game that tv companies from teams who have qualified talk about their own team. TV companies from non-qualified teams start broadcasting at 1.59pm..

LOL, so true - still talking about Ireland on RTE 2 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Albania team:

Berisha; Hysaj, Mavraj, Cana, Agolli; Xhaka, Kukeli, Abrashi; Roshi, Lenjani; Sadiku.

Surprising choice up top. All the predictions seemed to suggest Cikalleshi would be the main striker (he's the more expensive option in the fantasy game as well).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

No Gashi is odd. I would've thought he'd be their best player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Switz 2-0 @ 7/1 and Shaqiri any time @13/5. 20 bean returns 116.

Hotties in the crowd!! YUSSS!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

The amount of Albanians!
    Huge support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

That's me missing the first five minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,198 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

10 of the Albanian team were born in Switzerland and most of them could leave for Kosovo if they get full status. Definition of complicated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Well that was nice....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

That_Guy wrote: »
    Hotties in the crowd!! YUSSS!!!

The question has to be asked.... Has the Euros babes thread been reopened yet?

• Advertisement

Cracking atmosphere. The place will go up if Albania take the lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

This is why i love the Euros. Why else would you watch Albania Vs Switzerland and be happy to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Shocking goalkeeping.

Well that was pretty easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Swiss take the lead already

At least the Romanian keeper was close to the ball last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Another goalkeeper howler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Awful goalkeeping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,198 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Terrible goalkeeping again

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

Goalkeeper gifted Switzerland that goal.

• Advertisement

How has that full back Rodriquez been playing over the last couple of years? I know there was a lot of talk about him a couple of years ago at the World Cup but I haven't heard much since then and have rarely watched him play either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Frere Xhaka, frere Xhaka, do do do.

Is there a way of muting the TV so as that you can hear the crowd but dont have to endure hear alkin and Kerr (although Kerr comes out with some crackers often!) .......

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

Even without the terrible keeping, it was a free header

Euro 2016 is going to be the tournament of shíte goalkeeping. I look forward to Joe Hart's offering later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Is there a way of muting the TV so as that you can hear the crowd but dont have to endure hear alkin and Kerr (although Kerr comes out with some crackers often!) .......

BBC & you can chose the audio.... Including no commentary, just game noise.

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    Euro 2016 is going to be the tournament of shíte goalkeeping.

You'd almost think we were watching the African Cup of Nations so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

The man who does the ads for nivea

Ann Summers in goal for Swiss. Looks very metrosexual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Turn off Kerr?

Just ask one of the supervisors in the asylum you're clearly in.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Odise Roshi - They call him "the rocket"... Thanks Brian

• Advertisement

I've never seen a ball hold up like that on the goal line before. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Albania look terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

jamesbere wrote: »
    The man who does the ads for nivea

"slippy hand cream on his hands" - Kerr :pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I love the games between teams I know relatively little about. My favourite thing about these tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Manufan123

He can't pronounce any name's.

BBC & you can chose the audio.... Including no commentary, just game noise.

Ha! Really , I was just joking ! It is much better! Keeps your attention span on screen more. But I haven't a clue who most of players are by just looking at the screen view so commentary is needed at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That was a perfectly good tackle. It's not wonder La Liga is full of whiners when the ref blows up for the smallest touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭LordAwesome

I hope there are no Swiss listening to Kerr's massacre of their language, they might declare war on us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Love listening to Brian Kerr co commentating.

Probably setting myself up for a bit of a fall but Albania look pretty terrible. They are getting murdered on the counter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement