Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - Group A - Albania vs Switzerland aka Xhaka vs Xhaka, Sat. 2 pm, RTE & BBC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Manufan123 wrote: »
    He can't pronounce any name's.

But he can probably spell names.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Funny oul game.

How did the Albanians end up in Switzerland? There not even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Love the aerial camera

That_Guy wrote: »
    Probably setting myself up for a bit of a fall but Albania look pretty terrible. They are getting murdered on the counter.

They could be very nervous, first ever finals match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I love the games between teams I know relatively little about. My favourite thing about these tournaments.

My favourite thing about these games is on forums where the self anointed superfans pop up and clearly bluff about knowing a lot about a team like Albania and their players :D there is always half a dozen knocking around !!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Brian Kerr really is the ace in the RTE deck. Would anyone be watching this game if he wasn't commenting?

I'm not sure how I feel about him getting stuck with the "small" games... on the one hand he's often the best thing about them but on the other I'd like him to be rewarded for being so great. Maybe he could do all the small games and then the final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Commentator says 'Swiss tend to keep possession well', immediately they kick the ball long and lose it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Sha-Carey

Brian Kerr really is the ace in the RTE deck. Would anyone be watching this game if he wasn't commenting?

I'm not sure how I feel about him getting stuck with the "small" games... on the one hand he's often the best thing about them but on the other I'd like him to be rewarded for being so great. Maybe he could do all the small games and then the final?
    Most intelligent commentary you will get on tv. So far ahead of the normal standard.

• Advertisement

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Funny oul game.

How did the Albanians end up in Switzerland? There not even close.

http://https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_from_the_former_Yugoslavia_to_Switzerland

Good read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

He's just quality. First of all he knows his stuff. But some of the things he says is brilliant. I remember in the last World Cup he was doing a match at one in the morning our time, it was something like Japan Vs Honduras and he managed to bring Dynamo Tralee into the conversation. What a hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Bad tackle and a lot of the game to play for Cana with a yellow card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

ShaCarey, Shakira, ShaKiru.

Great players. :p

He is a commentator slut! Really gets around! Today FM, Radio 1, Rte TV, news talk, tv3!! Every night a different channel!

He's brilliant!

Is there a thread on his greatest quotes!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

A fair bit of exaggerated simulation from Albania so far; arms in the air and jumping and rolling.

• Advertisement

Albania starting to settle and play better now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

He is a commentator slut! Really gets around! Today FM, Radio 1, Rte TV, news talk, tv3!! Every night a different channel!

He's brilliant!

He just used a phrase I hang heard in years, "the defender gave him a hoosh"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

''Sedeeeku gave him a bit of an aul hoosh there, Stephen. No harm in it''.

Brian Kerr > Ronnie Whelan

dfx- wrote: »
    A fair bit of exaggerated simulation from Albania so far; arms in the air and jumping and rolling.

Not as good as the Swiss roll though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

This is absolute trash so far.

Switzerland can't let themselves get involved in the game that Albania want to play.

Albania will be down to 10 men by the 60th minute if they keep going they way they are currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

He's brilliant!

He just used a phrase I havnt heard in years, "the defender gave him a hoosh"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

What game are ye all watching?

Albania are the better side since they conceded in the one I'm watching

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

monkey9 wrote: »
    He's just quality. First of all he knows his stuff. But some of the things he says is brilliant. I remember in the last World Cup he was doing a match at one in the morning our time, it was something like Japan Vs Honduras and he managed to bring Dynamo Tralee into the conversation. What a hero.

I think he sort of sends up people's expectations of him. His accent * and use of 1970s Dublin colloquialisms might lead some people to think he won't have a clue, yet he must do more research than any other commentator on TV... he really does know everything about the games he comments on. A cult hero.

He's definitely under appreciated by RTE. How Ronny Whelan and Ray Houghton get the higher profile games I've no idea.

Briann Kerr and Richie Sadlier should be the linchpins of the RTE football coverage... pity they weren't involved with higher profile teams in their careers. I'm guessing that's what holds them back.

* No offence to those with Dublin accents - I'm a north Dub with an accent myself

What a pass that was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Very unlucky, Albania playing much better now

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Great save

Very good keeping there. Saved the swiss bacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

Beaut of a through ball, shame about finish. Would love to see Albania score.

monkey9 wrote: »

I remember him going on about the refs using the temporary white lines in the tournament.

''Very straight lines there from Senor Rodriguez there, really working the shaving foam well there in the heat, to be fair to him. It's all in the wrist ya see, Stephen.''

Or another time when commentating on Ecuador.

''Actually Ener Valencia comes from a family of footballers. His brother was a decent junior player but went in to selling furniture if ya can believe that''. I can believe that Brian, because you told me it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Albania have settled in to this now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

What an idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

god damn.... idiot.

Albania down to 10.

Oh f*ck. That's catastrophic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Well that changes the game completely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Albania have settled in to this now.

Their centre back just ruined it for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Ouch, captain gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Idiotic by Cana.

Thats the game done so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

What a spanner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Brainless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Really is game over now.

Looked like a fish out of water. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Paully D wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see Lorik Cana playing CB. He had an excellent season at Sunderland a few years ago playing DM but filled in a couple of times at CB too. He played there against Liverpool at the Stadium of Light in the 2nd half of the beachball game and was immense. One of the best performances I've seen from an individual player at the club. I have rarely watched him play since he left however.
    Johner wrote: »
    I remember him! Also remember being very impressed with him but haven't seen one bit of him either since he left Sunderland. i think Albania might surprise a few. I think they'll get a draw today.

Muppet. :pac:

callaway92 wrote: »
    Albania will be down to 10 men by the 60th minute if they keep going they way they are currently.

You called it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

What a muppet

• Advertisement

a lot of the game to play for Cana with a yellow card.

Not really as it turns out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Johner wrote: »
    Muppet. :pac:

Never rated him anyway! :pac:

So stupid from Cana, cost his team any chance of getting back into this.

If the Swiss/Albanians-in-white score again before half time it will make for a dead 2nd half.

Cana kick it? No you can't?
    Cana handle it? Yes you can

• Advertisement
Advertisement