Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVA exploiting unemployed art students ?

• 11-06-2016 7:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭

http://www.eva.ie/jobs

Check this out. 50 euros a week on top of your dole for 9 months of work. How about a real salary for this 35 hour a week job? Unfair for both the tax payer and the individual. 3rd level education required.

A joke.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

It's "humanities / arts / education" graduates they are looking for, not Art Students.
    And the closing date for applications is this Monday. So probably a bit late to apply anyway.
    It's a JobBridge position. Most of those only pay €20 on top of your JSA, so €50 is actually a smallish improvement on what most of these Schemes are offering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    It's "humanities / arts / education" graduates they are looking for, not Art Students.
    And the closing date for applications is this Monday. So probably a bit late to to apply anyway.
    It's a JobBridge position. Most of those only pay €20 on top of your JSA, so €50 is actually a smallish improvement on what most of these Schemes are offering.

230 euros for 35 hours. You'd be better off getting a job in Dunnes. Then the next time around they'll hire another sucker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

And Hugh Murray on the board.... after what happened with Murray O'Laoire Architects in that city and the employees....

What a gall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

http://www.eva.ie/jobs

Check this out. 50 euros a week on top of your dole for 9 months of work. How about a real salary for this 35 hour a week job? Unfair for both the tax payer and the individual. 3rd level education required.

A joke.

It's a jobbridge, there are literally hundreds of them! Are you worried they might be taken by ISIS?

adaminho wrote: »
    It's a jobbridge, there are literally hundreds of them! Are you worried they might be taken by ISIS?
    What are you on about? I just think it is unfair to study for 4 years and then basically work for less than what you would get in Dunnes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

What are you on about? I just think it is unfair to study for 4 years and then basically work for less than what you would get in Dunnes.

First of all there is nothing wrong with working in Dunnes.

If you have a problem with Jobsbridge then you should check out the Work & Jobs forum on boards, I can't see how this is a Limerick issue.

Clareman wrote: »
    First of all there is nothing wrong with working in Dunnes.

If you have a problem with Jobsbridge then you should check out the Work & Jobs forum on boards, I can't see how this is a Limerick issue.

I never said there was. Do you need a university qualification to work in Dunnes though?

It's a Limerick issue because Limerick city council is employing using jobsbridge to get cheap labour from the arts colleges.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I never said there was. Do you need a university qualification to work in Dunnes though?

It's a Limerick issue because Limerick city council is employing using jobsbridge to get cheap labour from the arts colleges.

Lots of jobs in Dunnes will need a university qualification, some of them will require a masters or above.

They aren't getting cheap labour, they are availing of the Jobsbridge scheme, I'm sure if they were paying 100k for the role there'd be someone complaining about that as well.

Lots of jobs in Dunnes will need a university qualification, some of them will require a masters or above.

They aren't getting cheap labour, they are availing of the Jobsbridge scheme, I'm sure if they were paying 100k for the role there'd be someone complaining about that as well.

Perhaps, but someone stacking shelves for minimum wage is going to get more than whoever is lucky enough to get the jobsbridge position.

So they pay 50 euros and they get someone to work for 35 hours. That sounds cheap to me.

Who pays the rest? Me and you with our tax.

If you want to encourage and support the arts then how about creating real arts based jobs? Everything is jobsbridge. You can do the "internship" but guess what? No actual job at the end of it. You can piss off to England or the US for that.

230 euros for 35 hours. You'd be better off getting a job in Dunnes. Then the next time around they'll hire another sucker.

I think job brdige is in theory a good idea for graduates who can't get jobs to gain experience. My problem with jobs bridge is a lot of employers are using it to get cheap labour in being a 'shelf stocking engineer' or 'mop operator', job bridge should not be replacing minimum wage jobs because if you are working a job in tesco/whatever you deserve minimum wage.

In fairness if you have graduated with a degree in humanities there isn't a massive market for jobs in a lot of the humanities at the moment. If you do the 9 month jobsbridge you might gain some valuable experience which might result in you getting a full time job in the future, so that right there makes it better off for them than working in Dunnes.

• Advertisement

I think job brdige is in theory a good idea for graduates who can't get jobs to gain experience. My problem with jobs bridge is a lot of employers are using it to get cheap labour in being a 'shelf stocking engineer' or 'mop operator', job bridge should not be replacing minimum wage jobs because if you are working a job in tesco/whatever you deserve minimum wage.

In fairness if you have graduated with a degree in humanities there isn't a massive market for jobs in a lot of the humanities at the moment. If you do the 9 month jobsbridge you might gain some valuable experience which might result in you getting a full time job in the future, so that right there makes it better off for them than working in Dunnes.
    So the arts student working in Dunnes does not qualify as they are employed. So what do they do? Stop working and go on the dole for a year so they qualify?

There's a great debate in AH on Jobbridge that covers an awful lot of the issues with the scheme http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056987239

There's a great debate in AH on Jobbridge that covers an awful lot of the issues with the scheme http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056987239

Okay sure. Just wanted to highlight the employment practises of our dear city council.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

So the arts student working in Dunnes does not qualify as they are employed. So what do they do? Stop working and go on the dole for a year so they qualify?

Actually agree with you here that it does seem to be unfair on those that would have the qualifications for this and who would benefit greatly from the added experience but aren't eligible because they took a job at somewhere like Dunnes or even a pub/restaurant because there was nothing available in their field at the time.

Okay sure. Just wanted to highlight the employment practises of our dear city council.

There's 34 internships in Limerick City and 16 in Limerick County

There are far more than just the council availing of the system.

There are far more than just the council availing of the system.
    True. Not a fan in general but I think the council should lead by example. If they want to promote the arts then pay a decent wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

It's €50 more than most Art Students will earn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

firstly, jobbridge is NOT cheap labour, it is free labour, as it is the taxpayer and not the employer that pays the 52.50.

secondly, those at the top of EV+A are being well paid. if they deserve to be paid, everyone does.

as a humanities graduate, with a family to support, i can honestly suggest that those that are at the head of ev+a can ram this position where the sun don't shine

as a humanities graduate, with a family to support, i can honestly suggest that those that are at the head of ev+a can ram this position where the sun don't shine

Sad thing is it actually looks like quite interesting work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

I don't see what the problem is here. Eva are giving an opportunity for someone who wants to work in this industry and is unemployed a chance to work for a biennial art exhibition that has an excellent reputation. This experience would stand to anyone looking to break into this industry. If you have a problem with the jobsbridge scheme then I don't think the Limerick forum is the right place to talk about it.

• Advertisement

Bored_lad wrote: »
    I don't see what the problem is here. Eva are giving an opportunity for someone who wants to work in this industry and is unemployed a chance to work for a biennial art exhibition that has an excellent reputation. This experience would stand to anyone looking to break into this industry. If you have a problem with the jobsbridge scheme then I don't think the Limerick forum is the right place to talk about it.

They are excluding people who are not on the dole. It affect Limerick so it is the perfect place to talk about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Bored_lad wrote: »
    The problem is how arrogant employers have gotten and how little they value young people and graduates who are working like donkeys to get experience and they can't even give them the decency of minimum wage.

Advertisement