Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a car without service history

• 11-06-2016 9:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭

We've been looking at a second hand 2010 C3. It's a private sale, the car originally came in from England. The only issue I have with it is there's no service history. The current owners husband runs a garage and services it himself.

Anybody else bought without a service history before. Should I be right to be wary?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark sun

Can be a bit risky, but get a decent mechanic to check it over, look for any proof any receipts e.g parts, oil that have been used and proceed with caution check mileage and compare with nct and a good discount as you are taking a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Why buy it?
    Plenty choice of good cars.
    If this is a super deal it's probably clocked.
    In fact anything in from UK where history is missing is likely clocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Get a professional inspection carried out.

For example the aa offer such a service.

I have no idea what the cost range is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

I bought 2nd car from a dealer, car had one owner and service history had 1 stamp in log book. Dealer said many people go to back to main garage for their first service then get indi garages to service after. Got car checked first though. car going great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

Thanks all. I'm thinking of passing to be honest, there's 42k on it which makes me suspicious. It's a nice car though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

SteM wrote: »
    Thanks all. I'm thinking of passing to be honest, there's 42k on it which makes me suspicious. It's a nice car though.

Always go with that gut feeling..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

As a starting point get the original UK Reg of the car from the VLC (log book). To verify the mileage you may be able to see at least one MOT from this link:

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

That's free. From here you could pester Citroen UK for the service history they may have captured from their franchised dealers, or at least tell you which dealer may have sold/serviced the car. You might get fobbed off but keeping trying.

The right advice however is to move on to the next, less hassle car that is available. Or go to the UK yourself and pick one up, save a bit of money and get something with history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

"The current owners husband runs a garage and services it himself. " sounds like someone selling cars on the side.

"The current owners husband runs a garage and services it himself. " sounds like someone selling cars on the side.

Yeah, to be fair he pretty much said as much when I was talking to him yesterday evening.

.......Or go to the UK yourself and pick one up, save a bit of money and get something with history.

The Revenue's VRT calculator seems to be down. Is there alternative does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

SteM wrote: »
    The Revenue's VRT calculator seems to be down. Is there alternative does anyone know?

No that's it, could be down all weekend too as they normally do updates lasting a full weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

I would proceed with extreme caution with this car if it has the 1.6 HDI DV6 engine.

These engines are prone to turbo failure caused by oil starvation due to the oil pickup line getting clogged with sludge.

This in invariably caused by missing or late oil services, not draining the oil properly, or using cheap oils instead of the needed C3 fully synthetic oil.

Google DV6TED4 turbo failure and have a read.

Ken

Advertisement