Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astec 49DV DIY Bellbox change

Options
  • 11-06-2016 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I managed to source a replacement bellbox a few years ago but I've never got around to changing it. My alarm engineer is AWOL so I'm having a go at this today myself.

I need to change the bellbox, possibly reconnect the cables on the alarm panel bus and possibly reprogram the bellbox into the system. I have engineer manuals and engineer code.

Before I begin, should the bellbox lights be on top or the bottom?

Many thanks,

PS I may have further questions regarding cabling and reprogramming.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Bell box lights are normally on the bottom.
    Connect wires to the base & into the sounder bus at the panel.
    Enter engineer code & then 73 .
    It should show 1 SAB. If so press set. Enter 16 to check bells & 99 to leave engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Thanks Koolkid, I was hoping you would be around :D:D. I fitted the new bellbox, it lit up for a few seconds and sounded for a few second and then nothing.

Trying to get into engineer code (to see if its seeing it) but after entering it it just returns to standard screen. I have a "77 Call Engineer" but I guess this doesn't stop me entering engineering mode.

I'm tempted to default but I have upstairs and downstairs zones set up. Don't really want to reprogram.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

77 Call engineer is just the service interval .
    Sounds like you have the wrong engineer code?
    But it seems the bells is connected & online. Set and activate the alarm to check.

Thanks Koolkid

Ok I factory reset and I'm setting everything back up.
    External bell seems to be working fine and I'm setting up the entry and part set zones. All looking good.

1 quick question.

When I partset it doesn't give an audible arming sound.

Thats correct.
    You can have it timed by pressing Clear Set Part Part.
    Still silent though.

• Advertisement

Hi Koolkid,

1 more question. I had a spare PIR sensor that I want to connect in. It is very close to the alarm panel pox so I'll run the cable myself.

Would CAT5 UTP work or does it require specific grade cable. The run is only a couple of metres.

That would be fine.
    You will need engineer code to enroll the PiR.

Thanks Koolkid.

I have an idea. There is an smoke alarm just the other side of a studded wall to where I want to run the PIR sensor. I was thinking of using the spare cables (pic 1 below) from this smokie to feed the PIR sensor. I might need to extend it but it would be much tidier job all round.

I'm trying to identify which cable it is on my panel (see pic 2 below). The smokie is assigned as Zone 1 on my panel.

Any ideas?

2wntdfo.jpg
    35lvrbo.jpg

It would be one of the blue/yellow pairs wired into the sounder bus. The last 2 terminals toto the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

JaCrispy wrote: »
    I'm trying to identify which cable it is on my panel (see pic 2 below). The smokie is assigned as Zone 1 on my panel.

Any ideas?

2wntdfo.jpg

From your image it is wired in on a green and yellow.
    On the sounders bus to the right as you look at the image this will also be the case.

If you disconnect one yellow core it should show up as a fault of the control panel. If you do this separately to both yellows you should easily find which one is the one for the smoke.

• Advertisement
Advertisement