Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This is getting addictive

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

20th of May

3.8 miles in 40 minutes 45 seconds (10:44 average)

23rd of May

4.25 miles in 40 minutes 2 seconds (9:26 average)

Very tiring weekend (i.e. lack of sleep) and laziness meant I didn't get out on Sunday. Hopefully will have my 1st proper long run post marathon this weekend. Nothing to report on the above 2 runs.

MTD: 34.63 miles
    YTD: 456.5 miles

24th of May

5.02 miles in 43 minutes 28 seconds (8:40 average)

25th of May

1.32 miles in 12 minutes 54 seconds (9:47 average)
    followed by
    10 thrusters @21kg
    10 box jumps
    followed by

8 x 200 metres (200 metre recovery of walk/jog, it was a slightly uphill 200m)

1. 40.4
    2. 39.2
    3. 43.7
    4. 40.5
    5. 38.2
    6. 40.7
    7. 41.8
    8. 38.5

followed by
    0.62 miles in 7 minutes 12 seconds (11:28 average)

Good session overall, hadn't planned to do the 200m repeats but said I'd give it a shot. The uphill for the 1st 30 metres was tough, the average pace works out about 3:22 per km. Legs were feeling it a bit this morning so happy to get out for the recovery run. 2.93 mile in total for the session, not counting the 200m recoveries.

26th of May

3.10 miles in 30 minutes 54 seconds (9:59 average)

Just an easy recovery run this morning.

MTD: 45.68 miles
    YTD: 467.55 miles

31st of May

4.03 miles in 38 minutes 15 seconds (9:28 average)

Last weekend was a total write off, was really tired and lacking motivation. No real reason, especially as my daughter decided she would like a good nights sleep 4 nights in a row :eek: Can you be tired from too much sleep :confused:

Friday 2nd of June

Dan Byrne Memorial 5k in Doneraile Park

1st 5k race of the year last Friday night, was not sure how realistic it would be to hit my target for the year of sub 22 on my 1st proper 5k attempt in a year and on what is a tough course.

Warm up was 1.46 miles with strides and then keeping loose and helping my wife to entertain the kids for a bit.

Lined up about 4 rows back at the start, the 1st mile was a mix of downhill, loose surface and a couple of tight turns, went a little fast just to get a bit of room, I knew I was through the 1st km in under 4 minutes and the 1st mile was ticked off in sub 7, both of which I have never done before!! Mile 1: 6:48

From here on the course gets very tough as it is pretty much up hill the entire way, couple of tight turns, mainly a looseish surface. The 2nd mile was starting to get tough and I was trying to pace myself. The quads were feeling it at this point and the conscious effort to slow gave a much slower 2nd mile. Mile 2: 7:43

The final mile & a bit has 2 tough climbs, one of which is the last 300 metres, I was behind a club runner for a long time and made a conscious effort after the 2nd last climb that I would take him and finish in front of him. Made an effort to slight shorten stride and up the cadence. Mile 3: 7:26

Was flat out at this stage, and crossed the line to a chip time of 22:26. Pretty pleased with it overall and on a "flat and fast" course I would be confident enough at this stage that I could knock out that sub 22 I am aiming for. Still it is a 30 second PB for 5k and 1st sub 4 minute km and sub 7 minute mile so they are positives.

Sunday 4th of June

5.00 miles in 55 minutes 7 seconds (11:01 average)

Was meant to be a much longer run but my quads were sore enough after Friday night, they loosened out by the end. Have paid my entry to the Achill half on the 1st of July so bit of work to build up to that in the next couple of weeks although there are no thoughts of a HM PB as it is a tough course, it is just something nice to do on a weekend away. Repeat after me, "put thoughts of HM PB out of my head!!"

MTD: 9.56 miles
    YTD: 481.14 miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Wow 30 sec PB on your 1st 5k of the year and a tough course :eek: You must be thrilled. Well done, a much deserved reward for all the miles logged in recent months :) Sub 22 is on the cards for sure.

Monday 5th of June

3.20 miles in 29 minutes 58 seconds (9:22 average)

Just an out and back, threw in a couple of sets of 100 metre strides on the return just to loosen out after Friday night

Wednesday 7th of June

4.02 miles in 37 minutes 40 seconds (9:22 average)

followed by 7 minutes AMRAP

10 push ups
    10 5kg kettlebell snatches

completed 6 full sets in the 7 minutes

Thursday 8th of June

4.75 miles in 46 minutes 45 seconds (9:51 average)

This is the toughest route I can run at home, real stiff clims in the last 2.5 miles, great work out.

Friday 9th of June

3.16 miles in 30 minutes 32 seconds (9:39 average)

MTD: 24.69 miles
    YTD: 496.27 miles

11th of June

9.01 miles in 1 hour 32 minutes 24 seconds (10:16 average)

1st "long" run since the marathon, just went out and took it easy, will get in another few similar runs before Achill. Not sure on what the plan is for Charleville after that in terms of training. My attempt to follow a "plan" for the marathon fell really flat and I didn't enjoy it. I'll probably be shot for this but tempted to work my own plan on the fly, as long as I am running 4-5 days a week with a long run and a speed/strength session mixed in I think I should be good. I'll have a think about it over the next couple of weeks. There will be 11 weeks between Achill and Charleville so can work a proper plan if I decide to follow one. Oh went over 500 miles for the year during this run, woo hoo :)

13th of June

3.53 miles in 33 minutes 37 seconds (9:31 average)

Had meant to get out yesterday morning but didn't get a chance.

MTD: 37.23 miles
    YTD: 508.81 miles

14th of June

7.03 miles in 1 hour 2 minutes 16 seconds (8:51 average)

Had a little extra time so stuck in a few additional miles. Mile 4 & 5 are along a fairly level stretch of road so upped the pace a bit and the mile splits for those two were 7:29 & 7:52.

15th of June

3.23 miles in 31 minutes 8 seconds (9:39 average)

16th of June

4.05 miles in 35 minutes 54 seconds (8:52 average)

Just two handy runs, aim to do about 9 or 10 mile @ 10 min mile pace on Sunday.

MTD: 51.54 miles
    YTD: 523.12 miles

So haven't logged in a bit and my running for the last 2 week has been fairly light. A few bits going on in life meant running had to take a back seat. We had our planned weekend away in Achill for the half marathon at the weekend which was a well earned break after a hectic few weeks.

20th of June

3.10 miles in 26 minutes 57 seconds (8:40 average)

22nd of June

5.77 miles in 53 minutes 5 seconds (9:11 average)

27th of June

3.70 miles in 34 minutes 26 seconds (9:17 average)

29th of June

3.60 miles in 32 minutes 47 seconds (9:06 average)

1st of July

Achill Half Marathon

I did a 1 mile warm up just to loosen out, a few strides thrown in.

Really had no time in mind for this, only realised that there were pacers about 10 minutes before the off. Lined up about half way between the 2 hour and 2 hour 10 minute pacers.

I wanted to go my own pace and not get sucked in to trying to keep pace with anyone. It ended up that I would catch and then lose the 2 hour pacers over the 1st 10 miles, I tried to keep the effort level constant so as not to burn out. I wanted to finish strong above all else.

As a course it is tough, there is a steady climb for the 1st 4 miles and then some steep climbs between miles 8 & 11.

With about 3 miles to go I caught and passed the 2 hour pacers. I kicked on a little from here. About 50 metres from the line I passed my wife and 2 wee ones. I was delighted I spotted them as I stopped and went back to pick up the guys. They were so exicted that I carried them across the line as they got a big cheer.

My chip time was 1 hour 57 minutes and 6 seconds. Overall pleased with thi;s, on a tough course and that I paced myself really well. I was cruising the last few miles and passed 20 or so of the half marathon runners.

My mile splits were

1. 8:58
    2. 8:55
    3. 9:20
    4. 8:58
    5. 8:32
    6. 8:34
    7. 9:17
    8. 9:15
    9. 9:06
    10. 9:33
    11. 8:08
    12. 8:31
    13. 8:11

The time was nothing to write home about but at no point was I struggling and I finished strong. Good confidence booster for Charleville, lots of work between now and then.

MTD: 14.1 miles
    YTD: 553.39 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pgarr

Well done on the achill half Higgins! It looks like you did indeed pace yourself very well considering the course profile.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    1st of July

Achill Half Marathon

With about 3 miles to go I caught and passed the 2 hour pacers. I kicked on a little from here. About 50 metres from the line I passed my wife and 2 wee ones. I was delighted I spotted them as I stopped and went back to pick up the guys. They were so exicted that I carried them across the line as they got a big cheer.

Well done, brilliant performance and on a tough course too. I had to highlight my favourite bit, what a great example and inspiration to set for you little ones :)

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »
    Well done, brilliant performance and on a tough course too. I had to highlight my favourite bit, what a great example and inspiration to set for you little ones :)

Thanks :) My son was so excited to tell me that he got a dinosaur that we needed to paint!!

19511552_1562057547200095_4202008551479628615_n.jpg?oh=7fae6da40d9242c4ddbe9ab2e4922794&oe=59CD76E7

7th of July

3.75 miles in 34 minutes 10 seconds (9:05 average)

followed by 3 sets (with 1 minute rest)

10 Thrusters 25kg
    10 kettlebell snatches 10kg
    10 box jumps

9th of July

4.75 miles in 50 minutes 37 seconds (10:39 average)

Fridays work out was still in the quads so took it purposefully slow.

10th July

3.23 miles in 30 minutes 6 seconds (9:19 average)

Just a few strides thrown in after 1.5 miles

11th July

3.25 miles in 25 minutes 24 seconds (7:48 average)

Unplanned bit of up tempo work this moring, the mile splits were

1. 8:28
    2. 7:32
    3. 7:25

The .25 was @ 7:46, good bit of stretching after this.

MTD: 29.08 miles
    YTD: 568.37 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

That was an excellent run in Achill J...You've made serious progress to be able to do a tough HM like that and run it within yourself. That's a great photo, a special moment that deserves framing and pride of place at home.

Missed a few days training after my last run. Had a tiring July with some sickness at home, interviewing for and getting new job and just fun family days out.

17th July

4.07 miles in 38 minutes 15 seconds (9:22 average)

18th July

4.30 miles in 38 minutes 49 seconds (9:01 average)

20th July

4.00 miles in 40 minutes 4 seconds (10:01 average)

22nd July

4.10 miles in 39 minutes 4 seconds (9:30 average)

23rd July

1.05 mile warm up

4 x 200 metre hill repeats, recovery was a walk back down the 200 metres.

1. 0:59
    2. 1:03
    3. 1:09
    4. 1:11

1.05 mile cool down

There is a field out the back of where I live with a very steep hill, had intended to do 6 of the 200 repeats but was about to die after the 4th one so decided discretion was the better part of valour!!

26th July

4.80 miles in 43 minutes 36 seconds (9:04 average)

28th July

3.30 miles in 29 minutes 56 seconds (9:03 average)

29th July

2.13 miles in 20 minutes 26 seconds (9:35 average)

A couple of easy miles in advance of a 5k race on Sunday.

30th July

Ballyhoura Development 5k

Saw this during the week, it was not a million miles from home so decided I would head over. Did 1.4mile warm up in 13 minutes, a few strides thrown in. It was up hill the 1st half of the warm up so at least I had it in my mind what part of the course would be like if we went that direction, which we did.

The 1st mile was that main up hill and was done in 7:36. The effort was a bit higher than ideal but was going OK. We got to half way and my watch was showing less than 1.5 mile, was my watch really off? The 2nd mile was completed in 7:24, this was a rolling uphill/downhill mile. I picked up the pace as I passed 2 miles and I crossed the line in 21:10 but with only 2.9 miles on my watch. I asked a few other people, I seemed to have it the shortest at 2.9 mile but everyone was between 2.9 & 3 miles. It was not an AAI certified event, I think it was well short of 5k so cannot claim a new 5k PB. I was doing a very comfortable pace in that last mile at 6:47 pace so think I could have snuck in sub 22. It was a very hill course with total climbs of nearly 100ft.

31st July

4.07 miles in 37 minutes 10 seconds (9:08 average)

MTD: 66.75 miles
    YTD: 606.04 miles

Really struggling with the motivation for a long run at the weekends at the moment. Doing a good bit of strength training, 15 minute high intensity sessions 3 evenings a week focusing on crossfit style movements.

Shame the distance was short when you were running so well but well done all the same you are flying.

Have you any target race at the moment? I find it hard to do long runs if i'm not aiming for anything. Especially at this time of year with family, there's always the temptation to head off for the day and do fun things together instead and nothing wrong with that either. Different things will suit at different stages and you know you can do the LSRs if you have a goal worth making the sacrifices for.

Shame the distance was short when you were running so well but well done all the same you are flying.

Have you any target race at the moment? I find it hard to do long runs if i'm not aiming for anything. Especially at this time of year with family, there's always the temptation to head off for the day and do fun things together instead and nothing wrong with that either. Different things will suit at different stages and you know you can do the LSRs if you have a goal worth making the sacrifices for.

Yea, I am still thinking of doing the Charleville half, would need at least 3 or 4 LSR's between now and then along with getting consistent 15-20 miles covered in 4 mid-week runs.

I am actually a bit (read very) annoyed at myself, feel like I have been half assing it for the last while, need to up my game or I will not continue to make improvements.

While replying I will log my run for this morning.

1st of August

4.63 miles in 42 minutes 45 seconds (9:14 average)

MTD: 4.63 miles
    YTD: 610.67 miles

Yea, I am still thinking of doing the Charleville half, would need at least 3 or 4 LSR's between now and then along with getting consistent 15-20 miles covered in 4 mid-week runs.

I am actually a bit (read very) annoyed at myself, feel like I have been half assing it for the last while, need to up my game or I will not continue to make improvements.

I am annoyed with myself for half assing (to steal your words) for the past 3 years :pac: I never realised the difference following a plan could make. BUT it is easy to say that now, without a goal race it is very hard to follow a plan, i tried several times :rolleyes: And i think your own post says it all " I am still thinking of doing....". You're undecided so it is hard to train/focus on something that is undecided... And that's not a bad thing either, you're still ticking over quite nicely, and you had a tough time earlier in the year where you followed a plan towards a goal, you didn't enjoy the plan and eventually had a dnf (sorry to bring it up again :o) maybe you needed a few months to just run and enjoy running again, reignite the fire and all that ;) Next stop, pick a goal and go for it! It doesn't have to include very long LSRs if say it's a 1 mile or 5km goal? Maybe a shorter distance goal would be refreshing coming from where you've been this year. Food for thought maybe ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

I am annoyed with myself for half assing (to steal your words) for the past 3 years :pac: I never realised the difference following a plan could make. BUT it is easy to say that now, without a goal race it is very hard to follow a plan, i tried several times :rolleyes: And i think your own post says it all " I am still thinking of doing....". You're undecided so it is hard to train/focus on something that is undecided... And that's not a bad thing either, you're still ticking over quite nicely, and you had a tough time earlier in the year where you followed a plan towards a goal, you didn't enjoy the plan and eventually had a dnf (sorry to bring it up again :o) maybe you needed a few months to just run and enjoy running again, reignite the fire and all that ;) Next stop, pick a goal and go for it! It doesn't have to include very long LSRs if say it's a 1 mile or 5km goal? Maybe a shorter distance goal would be refreshing coming from where you've been this year. Food for thought maybe ;)

+1 to ariana's post. If you are struggling to get the motivation to do long runs, now is probably not the time to be throwing yourself into them in a last ditch attempt to run Charleville. As someone who has pretty much half assed it myself for a long time and similarly struggled with the thoughts of long runs, I know the feeling that a bad long run brings when you are already struggling for motivation, it can really dent your running confidence and enjoyment which can snowball into just not bothering. Right now, you are not prepared for a half marathon even with a few weeks of long runs left so you won't do yourself justice. Like Ariana said(more eloquently than I ever will), maybe focusing on the shorter distances like 5/10k would be a better option for you right now(maybe even shorter as I have an inkling that you may have a bit of ability at the middle distance stuff. this could also help in getting you accustomed to a weekly long run which you could gradually build up to 8-10 Miles and get the consistency going there. Once you get used to thay(it will take time). If in time, you wish to step up to the longer distances, the leap won't seem as big and you'll established the habit of getting out every weekend for the long run.

The key here is not to be too hard on yourself right now with long runs, take your time and it as easy as you need to get it done, the habit is a major part of it in my opinion. When you look back at how the year went, you're not going to think about how you crushed that long run at 9 minute pace, you'll look back at how you raced and will give you one garuntee, getting consistent long runs in at any pace will obliterate your race times much more than crushing a single long run every so often will. Focus on the process as you need to get your confidence back now on the long runs so getting the distance in is much more important than the pace you run it right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Meta commentary - great posts by ariana` and El Caballo. Go team!

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys. Really good feedback, I have 2 more runs this week and then off to France for a weeks holidays (will be taking my running shoes with me!!).

Have been thinking of just focusing on 5k's a bit for the rest of the year (really close to my sub 22 goal for the year so would like to achieve at least one goal for the year), looking at a few improver 5k plans over the last few days so maybe this might not be a bad time to put some focus on those.

Will have (hopefully) lots of quiet evenings when the kids are in bed on holidays so will read up a bit more on these and look up a few 5k races to start incorporating into a plan and will update on my decision once I am back from holidays then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

You have a great fitness base from the long distance stuff to do a good 5km. The only thing you're missing is doing some shorter repeats
    like 400 600 and 800 metres. They're great for building up the speed and getting used to high effort levels and the pain involved
    in 5km running. I honestly think you'll get well below 22mins with a couple of weeks of 5/6km tempo runs and sessions of intervals.
    I think for 5km training doing a LSR of 50/55 mins is enough. It's 2.5 times the target race time. Mix that up with speed sesions and
    you'll make quick progress.

3rd of August

2.27 miles in 18 minutes 53 seconds (8:18 average)

8th of August

4.07 miles in 36 minutes 52 seconds (9:03 average)

This was my only holiday run although got plenty of pool time with the kids. St. Jean De Mont area was nice, will definitely go for 2 weeks next year as with all the driving it made the week very short.

13th of August

4.10 miles in 37 minutes 11 seconds (9:04 average)

This was a slow run with 5 sets of 200 metre strides, had planned to do the strides around 5k pace but they were a lot closer to mile pace and faster in some spots.

14th of August

1.2 miles (9:56 average) followed by 2 1km @ 5k pace

1. 4:15
    2. 4:16

followed by

1.5 miles (10:35 average)

16th of August

3.2 miles in 34 minutes 40 seconds (10:49 average)

This was a pure recovery run, Tuesday evening I did foam rolling & stretching followed by death by Thrusters @25kg. Managed to complete 11 rounds but by quads and glutes felt it!!

18th of August

4.35 miles in 41:17 (9:29 average)

Just another few easy miles, legs feeling a bit better. Decided to enter the Curragh Chase 10k on Sunday, paid the entry during the week. Aside from the marathon it has been my poorest race experience to date as things did not go well in it last year. Not planning for any amazing times, just want to get around and feel happy.

Also going to do an 8k cross country race in Newcastlewest on the 3rd of September, again just for fun but I am open to any advice of tips.

MTD: 26.6 miles
    YTD: 632.64 miles

3rd of August

2.27 miles in 18 minutes 53 seconds (8:18 average)

8th of August

4.07 miles in 36 minutes 52 seconds (9:03 average)

This was my only holiday run although got plenty of pool time with the kids. St. Jean De Mont area was nice, will definitely go for 2 weeks next year as with all the driving it made the week very short.

13th of August

4.10 miles in 37 minutes 11 seconds (9:04 average)

This was a slow run with 5 sets of 200 metre strides, had planned to do the strides around 5k pace but they were a lot closer to mile pace and faster in some spots.

14th of August

1.2 miles (9:56 average) followed by 2 1km @ 5k pace

1. 4:15
    2. 4:16

followed by

1.5 miles (10:35 average)

16th of August

3.2 miles in 34 minutes 40 seconds (10:49 average)

This was a pure recovery run, Tuesday evening I did foam rolling & stretching followed by death by Thrusters @25kg. Managed to complete 11 rounds but by quads and glutes felt it!!

18th of August

4.35 miles in 41:17 (9:29 average)

Just another few easy miles, legs feeling a bit better. Decided to enter the Curragh Chase 10k on Sunday, paid the entry during the week. Aside from the marathon it has been my poorest race experience to date as things did not go well in it last year. Not planning for any amazing times, just want to get around and feel happy.

Also going to do an 8k cross country race in Newcastlewest on the 3rd of September, again just for fun but I am open to any advice of tips.

MTD: 26.6 miles
    YTD: 632.64 miles

Good luck with the 10k and well done on the cross country, fair play on embracing something new! I've no advice I'm afraid, just wanted to wish you well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Only ever did one x/c but they are tough and you just race runners of similar ability if you can Identify them :), forget about watch or time it's all about gaining positions and finishing ahead of as many as you can, not to sure it was fun, but would definitely give another go.

• Advertisement

19th of August

3.25 miles in 30 minutes 34 seconds (9:24 average)

20th of August

Curraghchase 10k

Did a 1.52 mile warm up and then tipped away for the race. Forgot how tough a course it is. Finished in 51:40 which is fine for the effort I put in & the fact my legs were a bit dead from the week.

22nd of August

4.02 miles in 35 moinutes 50 seconds (8:53 average)

23rd of August

4.15 miles in 39 minutes 11 seconds (9:26 average)

Started new job in a new company on Monday so making a real conscious effort to keep my running up and not let it affect things. Waiting on a new pair of shoes I ordered so hope they come in the next few days.

MTD: 45.7 miles
    YTD: 651.74 miles

25th of August

Foam rolling & stretching followed by

21-15-9
    25kg Barbell Thrusters
    Burpees over Barbell

27th of August

6.52 miles in 59 minutes 28 seconds (9:07 average)

29th of August

New shoes!! Got a pair of Brooks Launch 4. Have got great wear and performance out of my UA Charged Bandit 2's, want to get another pair soon but had a voucher for Elvery's so gave the Brooks pair a shot,

AM Run - 2.07 miles in 17 minutes 14 seconds (8:19 average)

PM Run - 4.18 miles in 36 minutes 29 seconds (8:43 average)

31st of August

AM Run - 2.10 miles in 17 minutes 18 seconds (8:13 average)

PM Run - 4.55 miles in 40 minutes 45 seconds (8:56 average)

Aiming to do the Open Cross Country 8km in Newcastlewest on Sunday which could be fun. New job is going well, up the walls with it but has helped give running a kick start as well I feel.

MTD: 65.12 miles
    YTD: 671.16 miles

2nd of September

4.60 miles in 40 minutes 26 seconds (8:47 average)

3rd of September

5.44 miles in 54 minutes 41 seconds (10:02 average)

Had a good bit to do around home that has been put on the back burner of late so tackled that rather than heading to NCW for the cross country race. Was tired this evening (not helped by lack of sleep last night) so took a nice handy pace for my run.

MTD: 10:04 miles
    YTD: 681.20 miles

6th of September

AM - 2.10 miles in 17 minutes 19 seconds (8:15 average)

PM - 4 miles in 35 minutes 44 seconds (8:56 average)

MTD: 16.14 miles
    YTD: 687.3 miles

8th of September

5 miles in 41 minutes 50 seconds. (8:22 average)

Threw in 8 sets of strides that were somewhere between 5k & 1 mile pace I guess & they were for about 30 seconds each. Also got covered in cow **** as someone had just moved cows on the road, it rained & there was lots of traffic :eek:

9th of September

4.42 miles in 41 minutes (9:16 average)

Just took it handy after Friday night.

MTD: 25.56 miles
    YTD: 696.72 miles

• Advertisement

10th of September

4.50 miles in 39 minutes 18 seconds (8:45 average)

Very long & tiring day so was happy to get out for a few miles this evening. Fierce windy but luckily no downpours while I was out, although took the cow **** route again which I really need to remember to avoid if its a wet evening :D

MTD: 30.06 miles
    YTD: 701.22 miles

12th of September

3.85 miles in 38 minutes 40 seconds (10:03 average)

Really long day in work, hadn't ate properly, was tired from the kids being up a lot the night before, it was very windy and my legs were dead when I got going. The 1st 2 miles was nearly all into a gusting headwind, it was a tough, tiring run.

MTD: 33.91 miles
    YTD: 705.07 miles

it was a tough, tiring run.

They're the ones that count the most apparently. Well donew :)

15th of September

3.22 miles in 35 minutes 43 seconds (11:06 average)

Is there such a thing as a short slow run? I think jaded best describes how I felt on Friday evening and this was about as fast as my legs could carry me. Just a very long week.

17th of September

5.27 miles in 49 minutes 21 seconds (9:22 average)

A couple of nights of relatively unbroken sleep helped. Still not sure on my next race target but will get back to 4 runs this week now.

MTD: 42.4 miles
    YTD: 713.56 miles

19th of September

4.75 miles in 42 minutes (8:51 average)

24th of September

4.35 miles in 39 minutes 5 seconds (8:59 average)

Wife & kids were sick most the week & work was hectic. I was too tired to get out most evenings.

25th of September

4.55 miles in 39 minutes 57 seconds (8:47 average)

28th of September

2.2 miles in 17 minutes 16 seconds

Was really short for time so did an out & back, lapped it on my watch at 1.1 miles, the run out was 9 minutes 10 seconds & back in 8 minutes 6 seconds which was a good effort.

29th of September

4.30 miles in 40 minutes 10 seconds (9:21 average)

MTD: 62.55 miles
    YTD: 733.71 miles

30th of September

5.06 miles in 46 minutes 48 seconds (9:15 average)

MTD: 67.61 miles
    YTD: 738.77 miles

1st of October

5.12 miles in 50 minutes 14 seconds (9:49 average)

Just kept a nice gentle pace today, still not sure on my next race :(

MTD: 5.12 miles
    YTD: 743.89 miles

3rd of October

4.01 miles in 33 minutes 49 seconds (8:25 average)

5th of October

2.2 miles in 17 minutes 23 seconds (7:53 average)

6th of October

3.03 miles in 29 minutes 24 seconds (9:41 average)

7th of October

SMRC Urban Run 10K

Signed up for this during the week, was a race I enjoyed last year and was my 10K PB of 47:44. Did 1.75 miles for warm up with a couple of sets of strides thrown in. Was aware that I did not want to go out too hard and was aiming to come in under 47 minutes (did not know if that was pie in the sky or underselling it). It was a warm enough afternoon as well.

My mile splits were
    1. 7:41
    2. 7:44
    3. 7:38
    4. 7:31
    5. 7:38
    6. 7:26

The .2 was covered off @ 6:59 pace and I crossed the line in a chip time of 47:07. It's a 37 second PB, don't think my training deserved any more but would have been nice to come in under the 47. The main positive is that it was pretty well paced.

MTD: 22.31 miles
    YTD: 761.1 miles

3rd of October

4.01 miles in 33 minutes 49 seconds (8:25 average)

5th of October

2.2 miles in 17 minutes 23 seconds (7:53 average)

6th of October

3.03 miles in 29 minutes 24 seconds (9:41 average)

7th of October

SMRC Urban Run 10K

Signed up for this during the week, was a race I enjoyed last year and was my 10K PB of 47:44. Did 1.75 miles for warm up with a couple of sets of strides thrown in. Was aware that I did not want to go out too hard and was aiming to come in under 47 minutes (did not know if that was pie in the sky or underselling it). It was a warm enough afternoon as well.

My mile splits were
    1. 7:41
    2. 7:44
    3. 7:38
    4. 7:31
    5. 7:38
    6. 7:26

The .2 was covered off @ 6:59 pace and I crossed the line in a chip time of 47:07. It's a 37 second PB, don't think my training deserved any more but would have been nice to come in under the 47. The main positive is that it was pretty well paced.

MTD: 22.31 miles
    YTD: 761.1 miles

37 seconds is a great pb especially off the back of non-specific training :) If you followed a 10k plan you'll easily know the 7 seconds off in 8-10 weeks ;)

11th of October

5.63 miles in 53 minutes 32 seconds (9:31 average)

Started to feel like crap yesterday (freezing cold with high temperature) and my glutes and lower back felt very sore and stiff, had foam rolled Sunday/Monday so was a bit surprised by that. Still not feeling great today but felt I needed to get out and do a bit this morning. Took it relatively handy, still feel like crap but no worse than before going for the run so no harm done!!

MTD: 27.94 miles
    YTD: 766.73 miles

• Advertisement

14th of October

4.11 miles in 39 minutes 32 seconds (9:38 average)

With a mental week in work, the race last weekend & being sick in the early to mid part of the week I was not too pushed with too many runs this week.

15th of October

7.10 miles in 1 hour 7 minutes 9 seconds (9:28 average)

Plan to build up to some long runs over the next few Sundays. Mixing that with 4 midweek runs (a few at a bit faster pace) will hopefully see me into the 46's in 10k before the end of the year. Will add about 1 additional mile each Sunday.

MTD: 39.15 miles
    YTD: 777.94 miles

18th of October

2.2 miles in 17 minutes 37 seconds (8:00 average)

20th of October

4.09 miles in 37 minutes 33 seconds (9:10 average)

22nd of October

6.45 miles in 1 hour 4 minutes 29 seconds (9:59 average)

24th of October

4.33 miles in 34 minutes 24 seconds (7:55 average)

MTD: 56.22 miles
    YTD: 795.01 miles

27th of October

7.02 miles in 1 hour 2 minutes 18 seconds (8:53 average)

29th of October

4.02 miles in 39 minutes 30 seconds (9:50 average)

31st of October

6.10 miles in 52 minutes 51 seconds (8:40 average)

MTD: 73.36 miles
    YTD: 812.15 miles

1st of November

7.07 miles in 1 hour 31 seconds (8:34 average)

Starting work later a few days this week so have the chance to throw in a few extra miles

MTD: 7.07 miles
    YTD: 819.22 miles

2nd of November

5.07 miles in 42 minutes 49 seconds (8:27 average)

Good run on the toughest 5 mile route near me this morning, good week so far, prob won't get out tomorrow but will go for run Sunday and should be able to log a few good midweek runs next week again.

Haven't ordered a headtorch but aiming to do this in the next day or two when I make up my mind on one.

MTD: 12.14 miles
    YTD: 824.29 miles

4th of November

3.89 miles in 30 minutes 41 seconds (7:43 average)

8th of November

5.73 miles in 51 minutes 28 seconds (8:58 average)

10th of November

2.2 miles in 17 minutes 44 seconds (8:02 average)

12th of November

4.06 miles in 39 minutes 15 seconds (9:39 average)

17th of November

4.73 miles in 41 minutes 56 seconds (8:51 average)

MTD: 32.75 miles
    YTD: 844.9 miles

I suck so bad at this running game, just been wrecked the last 2 weeks with work, family and work. Have done a couple of CrossFit WOD's 2 evenings this week (DT & a 21-15-9) just so as not to feel like a complete couch potato.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

No running for the rest of this week, have a physio visit on Friday. Been told that I have either runners knee or IT Band inflamation/insertion in the knee.

1st injury since I started running back in April :(

Not sure what the recovery times are for either, if anyone has any experience let me know.

Pretty sure I had IT problems at one stage. I never got it officall diagnosed though so it's possible it was something else.

I Rested IT for a while , no running and then just eased back into it . After an igial period of rest It used only come on after four or five miles so I just ran shorter distances for a while.

The best of luck with the revovery

No running for the rest of this week, have a physio visit on Friday. Been told that I have either runners knee or IT Band inflamation/insertion in the knee.

Not sure what the recovery times are for either, if anyone has any experience let me know.

Pretty sure I had IT problems at one stage. I never got it officall diagnosed though so it's possible it was something else.

I rested it for a while , no running and then just eased back into it . After an initial period of rest It used only come on after four or five miles so I just ran shorter distances for a while.

I Rested IT for a while , no running and then just eased back into it . After an igial period of rest It used only come on after four or five miles so I just ran sjorter distances for a while.

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote: »

I Rested IT for a while , no running and then just eased back into it . After an igial period of rest It used only come on after four or five miles so I just ran shorter distances for a while.

:confused::confused: err, that post was over a year old but cheers!! :P

Advertisement