Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is getting addictive

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

8th of May

4.75 miles in 49 minutes 27 seconds (10:25 average)

Took it handy enough as my hamstrings still felt a bit tight after Saturdays work out, feel better today as also foam rolled when I got finished last night. Will do another 5 miles tomorrow (easy enough) and then aim to do my 1st "speed" session on Thursday evening.

The plan is

1.5 mile warm up

200 metres x 8

1.5 mile cool down

Now I have no idea what I should be looking to see on the 200 metre runs, what sort of time should I be aiming to run? Was thinking something like 50 seconds for 200 metres which is about 4:10 5km pace. Would that be right or should I aim lower/higher? If I am aiming to go under 22 minutes for 5km it is an average of 4:24 per KM, should I be looking at that time?

Will take any and all advice here.

MTD: 10.68 miles
    YTD: 432.55 miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

HigginsJ wrote: »
    The plan is

1.5 mile warm up

200 metres x 8

1.5 mile cool down

Now I have no idea what I should be looking to see on the 200 metre runs, what sort of time should I be aiming to run? Was thinking something like 50 seconds for 200 metres which is about 4:10 5km pace. Would that be right or should I aim lower/higher? If I am aiming to go under 22 minutes for 5km it is an average of 4:24 per KM, should I be looking at that time?

Will take any and all advice here.

MTD: 10.68 miles
    YTD: 432.55 miles

What is your current 5km pace? I would aim for that pace rather than what you'd like your 5k pace to be! The goal should be to do them all at the target pace or as close as possible rather than going super fast for the first couple and struggling with the last couple (which is what regularly happens me :rolleyes:).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

My first piece of advice would be to not jump into speed work until your hamstrings feel like they are ok. Do some strides as part of your warmup.

As for the 200's, are they from a plan you are following? I'd guess they should be at about 3-5k pace. I wouldn't worry too much about the pace, just run them hard but not flat out.

ariana` wrote: »
    What is your current 5km pace? I would aim for that pace rather than what you'd like your 5k pace to be! The goal should be to do them all at the target pace or as close as possible rather than going super fast for the first couple and struggling with the last couple (which is what regularly happens me :rolleyes:).

I did the 1st 5km of the SMRC 10k in 22 something late last year so a sub 22 while a goal is realistic. I just don't know where I stand speed wise at the moment with the slower miles so far this year.

I would love to say the times will be consistent....... :P
    adrian522 wrote: »
    My first piece of advice would be to not jump into speed work until your hamstrings feel like they are ok. Do some strides as part of your warmup.

As for the 200's, are they from a plan you are following? I'd guess they should be at about 3-5k pace. I wouldn't worry too much about the pace, just run them hard but not flat out.

Perfect on the 1st part, as I say feel a lot better today so will roll tonight, another easy run in the morning and should be fine by Thursday then.

I want to incorporate speed work into my running and 200's seem less daunting than 400's as an intro to this.

The plan is I want one quality session per week going forward (speed or strength), 2 normal runs with strides (5 or 6 miles) and then 1 long run.

Now I won't get out for a long run until the weekend after next as have a wedding this weekend. The long runs will be between 9-13 miles as I don't want to lose the base that I have built up with the HM's on the horizon later in the summer.

I was wrecked last Thursday so the planned speed session went out the window, I was on my way into town for a pre work run friday morning when I had to swerve on a back road to avoid someone driving down the middle of the road, swerved to avoid him and blew out my front tyre on a rock. €90 call out and new tyre and I missed my run, not sure which I was more angry about :mad:

Went to a wedding Saturday, not home till after 2 and our son was up and full of beans at 6am :eek:

Couldn't let Sunday pass without some form of exercise.

14th of May

2 miles in 18 minutes 34 seconds (9:19 average)

3 sets by 10 reps

Box Jumps
    Clean & Jerk 21kg

2 miles in 19 minutes 40 seconds (9:50 average)

15th of May

3.15 miles in 27 minutes 35 seconds (8:46 average)

Just a bit of a recovery run this morning as the last time I did the above strength session my hamstrings were tight 2 days later.

Plan for this week is a couple of 5 mile runs with strides followed by a long slow run at the weekeng, long being a relative term, between 8 - 10 miles.

MTD: 17.83 miles
    YTD: 439.7 miles

• Advertisement

16th of May

4.75 miles in 38 minutes 30 seconds (8:07 average)

1st mile was about 8:50 and pushed on a bit after that, will put up the splits once I get my watch synced up later. Good run, effort levels were ok for the pace, took it handy on a couple of hills.

MTD: 22.58 miles
    YTD: 444.45 miles

Any thoughts on what's up next for you, will you attempt another 26.2 this year do you think?

Any thoughts on what's up next for you, will you attempt another 26.2 this year do you think?

God no!! :P I might do Limerick or Dublin in 2018 but I'll see, overall didn't hugely enjoy the whole marathon training, will def look to make some changes and look for a plan that offers a bit more fun next time I decide to give it a go, if I do so.

The plan for the summer will culminate in either a sub 1"45 or 1"40 attempt for the HM in Charleville, all going well.

My next race will be a 5k in Doneraile Park on the 2nd of June, it was my 1st race when I finished C25K last year so have to do it!! Going to do the Achill HM on the 1st of July, have accommodation booked so going to take kids up and we are staying Friday night and Saturday night. The race itself is just to do something nice, it will be little more than a training run as the 1st 4-5 miles looks exceptionally tough which will keep me nicely in check.

Assuming all of that goes well, a 10k race some point between July & September with an attempt to go sub 44 for 10k in the St. Michaels Rowing Club race in October. Will look to do one more half then before the end of the year, not Birdhill, that course was hell last year.

I have a good base of training done and will start back to "long runs" this weekend to keep me ticking over endurance wise and will build to Charleville then from July.

So yea, no real plans!! :D

So yea, no real plans!! :D

Just a lot of sitting around i see :p

I'm looking forward to following your progress. No doubt you will bag a few PBs before the year is out. You've a solid base under you :)

18th of May

2 miles in 19 minutes 44 seconds (9:53 average)

Followed by 3 sets with 90 seconds rest

12 box jumps
    10 thrusters @ 21kg

2 miles in 20 minutes 55 seconds (10:28 average)

Both 2-mile runs had 2 sets of strides. Very little sleep last night so took the extra 20 minutes in bed and will get out for a 5 mile run tonight.

MTD: 26.58 miles
    YTD: 448.45 miles

• Advertisement

20th of May

3.8 miles in 40 minutes 45 seconds (10:44 average)

23rd of May

4.25 miles in 40 minutes 2 seconds (9:26 average)

Very tiring weekend (i.e. lack of sleep) and laziness meant I didn't get out on Sunday. Hopefully will have my 1st proper long run post marathon this weekend. Nothing to report on the above 2 runs.

MTD: 34.63 miles
    YTD: 456.5 miles

24th of May

5.02 miles in 43 minutes 28 seconds (8:40 average)

25th of May

1.32 miles in 12 minutes 54 seconds (9:47 average)
    followed by
    10 thrusters @21kg
    10 box jumps
    followed by

8 x 200 metres (200 metre recovery of walk/jog, it was a slightly uphill 200m)

1. 40.4
    2. 39.2
    3. 43.7
    4. 40.5
    5. 38.2
    6. 40.7
    7. 41.8
    8. 38.5

followed by
    0.62 miles in 7 minutes 12 seconds (11:28 average)

Good session overall, hadn't planned to do the 200m repeats but said I'd give it a shot. The uphill for the 1st 30 metres was tough, the average pace works out about 3:22 per km. Legs were feeling it a bit this morning so happy to get out for the recovery run. 2.93 mile in total for the session, not counting the 200m recoveries.

26th of May

3.10 miles in 30 minutes 54 seconds (9:59 average)

Just an easy recovery run this morning.

MTD: 45.68 miles
    YTD: 467.55 miles

31st of May

4.03 miles in 38 minutes 15 seconds (9:28 average)

Last weekend was a total write off, was really tired and lacking motivation. No real reason, especially as my daughter decided she would like a good nights sleep 4 nights in a row :eek: Can you be tired from too much sleep :confused:

Friday 2nd of June

Dan Byrne Memorial 5k in Doneraile Park

1st 5k race of the year last Friday night, was not sure how realistic it would be to hit my target for the year of sub 22 on my 1st proper 5k attempt in a year and on what is a tough course.

Warm up was 1.46 miles with strides and then keeping loose and helping my wife to entertain the kids for a bit.

Lined up about 4 rows back at the start, the 1st mile was a mix of downhill, loose surface and a couple of tight turns, went a little fast just to get a bit of room, I knew I was through the 1st km in under 4 minutes and the 1st mile was ticked off in sub 7, both of which I have never done before!! Mile 1: 6:48

From here on the course gets very tough as it is pretty much up hill the entire way, couple of tight turns, mainly a looseish surface. The 2nd mile was starting to get tough and I was trying to pace myself. The quads were feeling it at this point and the conscious effort to slow gave a much slower 2nd mile. Mile 2: 7:43

The final mile & a bit has 2 tough climbs, one of which is the last 300 metres, I was behind a club runner for a long time and made a conscious effort after the 2nd last climb that I would take him and finish in front of him. Made an effort to slight shorten stride and up the cadence. Mile 3: 7:26

Was flat out at this stage, and crossed the line to a chip time of 22:26. Pretty pleased with it overall and on a "flat and fast" course I would be confident enough at this stage that I could knock out that sub 22 I am aiming for. Still it is a 30 second PB for 5k and 1st sub 4 minute km and sub 7 minute mile so they are positives.

Sunday 4th of June

5.00 miles in 55 minutes 7 seconds (11:01 average)

Was meant to be a much longer run but my quads were sore enough after Friday night, they loosened out by the end. Have paid my entry to the Achill half on the 1st of July so bit of work to build up to that in the next couple of weeks although there are no thoughts of a HM PB as it is a tough course, it is just something nice to do on a weekend away. Repeat after me, "put thoughts of HM PB out of my head!!"

MTD: 9.56 miles
    YTD: 481.14 miles

Wow 30 sec PB on your 1st 5k of the year and a tough course :eek: You must be thrilled. Well done, a much deserved reward for all the miles logged in recent months :) Sub 22 is on the cards for sure.

Monday 5th of June

3.20 miles in 29 minutes 58 seconds (9:22 average)

Just an out and back, threw in a couple of sets of 100 metre strides on the return just to loosen out after Friday night

Wednesday 7th of June

4.02 miles in 37 minutes 40 seconds (9:22 average)

followed by 7 minutes AMRAP

10 push ups
    10 5kg kettlebell snatches

completed 6 full sets in the 7 minutes

Thursday 8th of June

4.75 miles in 46 minutes 45 seconds (9:51 average)

This is the toughest route I can run at home, real stiff clims in the last 2.5 miles, great work out.

Friday 9th of June

3.16 miles in 30 minutes 32 seconds (9:39 average)

MTD: 24.69 miles
    YTD: 496.27 miles

11th of June

9.01 miles in 1 hour 32 minutes 24 seconds (10:16 average)

1st "long" run since the marathon, just went out and took it easy, will get in another few similar runs before Achill. Not sure on what the plan is for Charleville after that in terms of training. My attempt to follow a "plan" for the marathon fell really flat and I didn't enjoy it. I'll probably be shot for this but tempted to work my own plan on the fly, as long as I am running 4-5 days a week with a long run and a speed/strength session mixed in I think I should be good. I'll have a think about it over the next couple of weeks. There will be 11 weeks between Achill and Charleville so can work a proper plan if I decide to follow one. Oh went over 500 miles for the year during this run, woo hoo :)

13th of June

3.53 miles in 33 minutes 37 seconds (9:31 average)

Had meant to get out yesterday morning but didn't get a chance.

MTD: 37.23 miles
    YTD: 508.81 miles

14th of June

7.03 miles in 1 hour 2 minutes 16 seconds (8:51 average)

Had a little extra time so stuck in a few additional miles. Mile 4 & 5 are along a fairly level stretch of road so upped the pace a bit and the mile splits for those two were 7:29 & 7:52.

15th of June

3.23 miles in 31 minutes 8 seconds (9:39 average)

16th of June

4.05 miles in 35 minutes 54 seconds (8:52 average)

Just two handy runs, aim to do about 9 or 10 mile @ 10 min mile pace on Sunday.

MTD: 51.54 miles
    YTD: 523.12 miles

So haven't logged in a bit and my running for the last 2 week has been fairly light. A few bits going on in life meant running had to take a back seat. We had our planned weekend away in Achill for the half marathon at the weekend which was a well earned break after a hectic few weeks.

20th of June

3.10 miles in 26 minutes 57 seconds (8:40 average)

22nd of June

5.77 miles in 53 minutes 5 seconds (9:11 average)

27th of June

3.70 miles in 34 minutes 26 seconds (9:17 average)

29th of June

3.60 miles in 32 minutes 47 seconds (9:06 average)

1st of July

Achill Half Marathon

I did a 1 mile warm up just to loosen out, a few strides thrown in.

Really had no time in mind for this, only realised that there were pacers about 10 minutes before the off. Lined up about half way between the 2 hour and 2 hour 10 minute pacers.

I wanted to go my own pace and not get sucked in to trying to keep pace with anyone. It ended up that I would catch and then lose the 2 hour pacers over the 1st 10 miles, I tried to keep the effort level constant so as not to burn out. I wanted to finish strong above all else.

As a course it is tough, there is a steady climb for the 1st 4 miles and then some steep climbs between miles 8 & 11.

With about 3 miles to go I caught and passed the 2 hour pacers. I kicked on a little from here. About 50 metres from the line I passed my wife and 2 wee ones. I was delighted I spotted them as I stopped and went back to pick up the guys. They were so exicted that I carried them across the line as they got a big cheer.

My chip time was 1 hour 57 minutes and 6 seconds. Overall pleased with thi;s, on a tough course and that I paced myself really well. I was cruising the last few miles and passed 20 or so of the half marathon runners.

My mile splits were

1. 8:58
    2. 8:55
    3. 9:20
    4. 8:58
    5. 8:32
    6. 8:34
    7. 9:17
    8. 9:15
    9. 9:06
    10. 9:33
    11. 8:08
    12. 8:31
    13. 8:11

The time was nothing to write home about but at no point was I struggling and I finished strong. Good confidence booster for Charleville, lots of work between now and then.

MTD: 14.1 miles
    YTD: 553.39 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pgarr

Well done on the achill half Higgins! It looks like you did indeed pace yourself very well considering the course profile.

1st of July

Achill Half Marathon

With about 3 miles to go I caught and passed the 2 hour pacers. I kicked on a little from here. About 50 metres from the line I passed my wife and 2 wee ones. I was delighted I spotted them as I stopped and went back to pick up the guys. They were so exicted that I carried them across the line as they got a big cheer.

Well done, brilliant performance and on a tough course too. I had to highlight my favourite bit, what a great example and inspiration to set for you little ones :)

• Advertisement

Well done, brilliant performance and on a tough course too. I had to highlight my favourite bit, what a great example and inspiration to set for you little ones :)

Thanks :) My son was so excited to tell me that he got a dinosaur that we needed to paint!!

19511552_1562057547200095_4202008551479628615_n.jpg?oh=7fae6da40d9242c4ddbe9ab2e4922794&oe=59CD76E7

7th of July

3.75 miles in 34 minutes 10 seconds (9:05 average)

followed by 3 sets (with 1 minute rest)

10 Thrusters 25kg
    10 kettlebell snatches 10kg
    10 box jumps

9th of July

4.75 miles in 50 minutes 37 seconds (10:39 average)

Fridays work out was still in the quads so took it purposefully slow.

10th July

3.23 miles in 30 minutes 6 seconds (9:19 average)

Just a few strides thrown in after 1.5 miles

11th July

3.25 miles in 25 minutes 24 seconds (7:48 average)

Unplanned bit of up tempo work this moring, the mile splits were

1. 8:28
    2. 7:32
    3. 7:25

The .25 was @ 7:46, good bit of stretching after this.

MTD: 29.08 miles
    YTD: 568.37 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

That was an excellent run in Achill J...You've made serious progress to be able to do a tough HM like that and run it within yourself. That's a great photo, a special moment that deserves framing and pride of place at home.

Missed a few days training after my last run. Had a tiring July with some sickness at home, interviewing for and getting new job and just fun family days out.

17th July

4.07 miles in 38 minutes 15 seconds (9:22 average)

18th July

4.30 miles in 38 minutes 49 seconds (9:01 average)

20th July

4.00 miles in 40 minutes 4 seconds (10:01 average)

22nd July

4.10 miles in 39 minutes 4 seconds (9:30 average)

23rd July

1.05 mile warm up

4 x 200 metre hill repeats, recovery was a walk back down the 200 metres.

1. 0:59
    2. 1:03
    3. 1:09
    4. 1:11

1.05 mile cool down

There is a field out the back of where I live with a very steep hill, had intended to do 6 of the 200 repeats but was about to die after the 4th one so decided discretion was the better part of valour!!

26th July

4.80 miles in 43 minutes 36 seconds (9:04 average)

28th July

3.30 miles in 29 minutes 56 seconds (9:03 average)

29th July

2.13 miles in 20 minutes 26 seconds (9:35 average)

A couple of easy miles in advance of a 5k race on Sunday.

30th July

Ballyhoura Development 5k

Saw this during the week, it was not a million miles from home so decided I would head over. Did 1.4mile warm up in 13 minutes, a few strides thrown in. It was up hill the 1st half of the warm up so at least I had it in my mind what part of the course would be like if we went that direction, which we did.

The 1st mile was that main up hill and was done in 7:36. The effort was a bit higher than ideal but was going OK. We got to half way and my watch was showing less than 1.5 mile, was my watch really off? The 2nd mile was completed in 7:24, this was a rolling uphill/downhill mile. I picked up the pace as I passed 2 miles and I crossed the line in 21:10 but with only 2.9 miles on my watch. I asked a few other people, I seemed to have it the shortest at 2.9 mile but everyone was between 2.9 & 3 miles. It was not an AAI certified event, I think it was well short of 5k so cannot claim a new 5k PB. I was doing a very comfortable pace in that last mile at 6:47 pace so think I could have snuck in sub 22. It was a very hill course with total climbs of nearly 100ft.

31st July

4.07 miles in 37 minutes 10 seconds (9:08 average)

MTD: 66.75 miles
    YTD: 606.04 miles

Really struggling with the motivation for a long run at the weekends at the moment. Doing a good bit of strength training, 15 minute high intensity sessions 3 evenings a week focusing on crossfit style movements.

Shame the distance was short when you were running so well but well done all the same you are flying.

Have you any target race at the moment? I find it hard to do long runs if i'm not aiming for anything. Especially at this time of year with family, there's always the temptation to head off for the day and do fun things together instead and nothing wrong with that either. Different things will suit at different stages and you know you can do the LSRs if you have a goal worth making the sacrifices for.

Shame the distance was short when you were running so well but well done all the same you are flying.

Have you any target race at the moment? I find it hard to do long runs if i'm not aiming for anything. Especially at this time of year with family, there's always the temptation to head off for the day and do fun things together instead and nothing wrong with that either. Different things will suit at different stages and you know you can do the LSRs if you have a goal worth making the sacrifices for.

Yea, I am still thinking of doing the Charleville half, would need at least 3 or 4 LSR's between now and then along with getting consistent 15-20 miles covered in 4 mid-week runs.

I am actually a bit (read very) annoyed at myself, feel like I have been half assing it for the last while, need to up my game or I will not continue to make improvements.

While replying I will log my run for this morning.

1st of August

4.63 miles in 42 minutes 45 seconds (9:14 average)

MTD: 4.63 miles
    YTD: 610.67 miles

Yea, I am still thinking of doing the Charleville half, would need at least 3 or 4 LSR's between now and then along with getting consistent 15-20 miles covered in 4 mid-week runs.

I am actually a bit (read very) annoyed at myself, feel like I have been half assing it for the last while, need to up my game or I will not continue to make improvements.

I am annoyed with myself for half assing (to steal your words) for the past 3 years :pac: I never realised the difference following a plan could make. BUT it is easy to say that now, without a goal race it is very hard to follow a plan, i tried several times :rolleyes: And i think your own post says it all " I am still thinking of doing....". You're undecided so it is hard to train/focus on something that is undecided... And that's not a bad thing either, you're still ticking over quite nicely, and you had a tough time earlier in the year where you followed a plan towards a goal, you didn't enjoy the plan and eventually had a dnf (sorry to bring it up again :o) maybe you needed a few months to just run and enjoy running again, reignite the fire and all that ;) Next stop, pick a goal and go for it! It doesn't have to include very long LSRs if say it's a 1 mile or 5km goal? Maybe a shorter distance goal would be refreshing coming from where you've been this year. Food for thought maybe ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

I am annoyed with myself for half assing (to steal your words) for the past 3 years :pac: I never realised the difference following a plan could make. BUT it is easy to say that now, without a goal race it is very hard to follow a plan, i tried several times :rolleyes: And i think your own post says it all " I am still thinking of doing....". You're undecided so it is hard to train/focus on something that is undecided... And that's not a bad thing either, you're still ticking over quite nicely, and you had a tough time earlier in the year where you followed a plan towards a goal, you didn't enjoy the plan and eventually had a dnf (sorry to bring it up again :o) maybe you needed a few months to just run and enjoy running again, reignite the fire and all that ;) Next stop, pick a goal and go for it! It doesn't have to include very long LSRs if say it's a 1 mile or 5km goal? Maybe a shorter distance goal would be refreshing coming from where you've been this year. Food for thought maybe ;)

+1 to ariana's post. If you are struggling to get the motivation to do long runs, now is probably not the time to be throwing yourself into them in a last ditch attempt to run Charleville. As someone who has pretty much half assed it myself for a long time and similarly struggled with the thoughts of long runs, I know the feeling that a bad long run brings when you are already struggling for motivation, it can really dent your running confidence and enjoyment which can snowball into just not bothering. Right now, you are not prepared for a half marathon even with a few weeks of long runs left so you won't do yourself justice. Like Ariana said(more eloquently than I ever will), maybe focusing on the shorter distances like 5/10k would be a better option for you right now(maybe even shorter as I have an inkling that you may have a bit of ability at the middle distance stuff. this could also help in getting you accustomed to a weekly long run which you could gradually build up to 8-10 Miles and get the consistency going there. Once you get used to thay(it will take time). If in time, you wish to step up to the longer distances, the leap won't seem as big and you'll established the habit of getting out every weekend for the long run.

The key here is not to be too hard on yourself right now with long runs, take your time and it as easy as you need to get it done, the habit is a major part of it in my opinion. When you look back at how the year went, you're not going to think about how you crushed that long run at 9 minute pace, you'll look back at how you raced and will give you one garuntee, getting consistent long runs in at any pace will obliterate your race times much more than crushing a single long run every so often will. Focus on the process as you need to get your confidence back now on the long runs so getting the distance in is much more important than the pace you run it right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Meta commentary - great posts by ariana` and El Caballo. Go team!

Advertisement