Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rule Query

• 11-06-2016 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Interclub match last Wednesday , matchplay . Player A marked and picked up ball belonging to opposition on 2nd play off hole (on green). when mentioned to him , replaced it and proceeded to play own ball and par hole . opposition also parred hole for half.
    A. Should this have been a penalty ?
    B. Player As team won on 21st knocking other team out of comp. Is it too late to mention now ? No one called it at the time despite 20 people watching.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Think all is ok here, no penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Think all is ok here, no penalty.
    http://www.barryrhodes.com/2010/08/moving-another-players-ball.html?m=1

This seems to suggest otherwise ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Did they mark the ball without permission?

Did they mark the ball without permission?
    Yes , thought it was his ball , marked and picked up .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Yes , thought it was his ball , marked and picked up .

There may be a different way of looking at it but in effect, you ignored a rule of golf. Ignoring a rule breach in match play is allowed as long as you don't mention it during play of that hole, you have to wait until the next stroke on the next hole to mention it.

I'm pretty certain it's to late, it was too late by the time you teed off on the next hole.

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    There may be a different way of looking at it but in effect, you ignored a rule of golf. Ignoring a rule breach in match play is allowed as long as you don't mention it during play of that hole, you have to wait until the next stroke on the next hole to mention it.

I'm pretty certain it's to late, it was too late by the time you teed off on the next hole.

I would have thought the same , but just wanted to query it. Surprised no one picked up on it at the time as there was quite a few people around us due to it being the final match. Only afterwards I started querying it with myself

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭WheresMyPar

I would have thought the same , but just wanted to query it. Surprised no one picked up on it at the time as there was quite a few people around us due to it being the final match. Only afterwards I started querying it with myself

A lot people want to win matches with golf so a lot of times little things like that get ignored,
    I had a guy show his partner a line bye running his finger along the green to the hole, I mentioned after hole he was breaking a rule so not to do it again but I didn't claim the hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

A lot people want to win matches with golf so a lot of times little things like that get ignored,
    I had a guy show his partner a line bye running his finger along the green to the hole, I mentioned after hole he was breaking a rule so not to do it again but I didn't claim the hole

And that's your prerogative in matchplay.

Advertisement