Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hairdressing & Breaks -Help!

Options
  • 11-06-2016 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi everyone,

I'm a trainee hair dresser, and I need some advice.

I usually work 9-5, 5 days a week. Often I stay an extra hour, without extra pay. We don't get breaks really - I get 5/10 to shove my lunch into my face but that's it. Yesterday I was told that hours would be changing, that it would be 8-5 or 9-6 every day (usually 8s for me) but we would be getting an hour lunch break now to make up for the extra hour worked. Sounded great. Time to eat and sit. i rang my husband to meet me for lunch. However, when I went to go to lunch I was told it was too busy that day, and when it's busy I won't get the full hour or maybe none at all. Also, I have to be around in case clients come in or something needs doing. So basically my hours increased and I get some kind of imaginary lunch break now.

I'm told it's that way because that's just how salons are. Hairdressers work 9-12 hours a day without breaks, and that's just how it is everywhere. Too bad, that's the job I've picked. It doesn't seem right to me though - surely you can't not apply employment laws simply because nobody else is doing it!!

What should I do? I've only been here 3 months. I make apprentice wage, which is 100 a week or so less than minimum wage plus I work over the 40 hour limit apprentices are meant to. I haven't been receiving any training either, I'm just a cleaner who shampoos as well. I have no contract yet, but I'm told that when I sign it it's a part time contract and that I will still have another 9 months probation. I'm afraid to put up a fuss about this since I could just be let go.

Any advice? I'd love to just quit, but I'm also the only source of income in the house and it's very hard to find hair apprenticeships when you're in your 20s and not 17.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

ExParrot42 wrote: »
    I'm told it's that way because that's just how salons are. Hairdressers work 9-12 hours a day without breaks, and that's just how it is everywhere. Too bad, that's the job I've picked. It doesn't seem right to me though - surely you can't not apply employment laws simply because nobody else is doing it!!

Yeah you can't, absolutely wrong and you should have a contract even if you're an apprentice, do you receive pay slips?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,082 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

ExParrot42 wrote:
    I usually work 9-5, 5 days a week. Often I stay an extra hour, without extra pay. We don't get breaks really - I get 5/10 to shove my lunch into my face but that's it. Yesterday I was told that hours would be changing, that it would be 8-5 or 9-6 every day (usually 8s for me) but we would be getting an hour lunch break now to make up for the extra hour worked. Sounded great. Time to eat and sit. i rang my husband to meet me for lunch. However, when I went to go to lunch I was told it was too busy that day, and when it's busy I won't get the full hour or maybe none at all. Also, I have to be around in case clients come in or something needs doing. So basically my hours increased and I get some kind of imaginary lunch break now.

ExParrot42 wrote:

ExParrot42 wrote:
    What should I do? I've only been here 3 months. I make apprentice wage, which is 100 a week or so less than minimum wage plus I work over the 40 hour limit apprentices are meant to. I haven't been receiving any training either, I'm just a cleaner who shampoos as well. I have no contract yet, but I'm told that when I sign it it's a part time contract and that I will still have another 9 months probation. I'm afraid to put up a fuss about this since I could just be let go.

ExParrot42 wrote:
    Any advice? I'd love to just quit, but I'm also the only source of income in the house and it's very hard to find hair apprenticeships when you're in your 20s and not 17.

ExParrot42 wrote:
    I'm a trainee hair dresser, and I need some advice.

That is just the way hairdressing is. I'm not saying that you are not entitled to breaks and extra pay for hours over 39 hours. Hairdressers work long hard hours for not great pay. They rely on tips.
    Maybe the likes of Peter Marks give proper breaks but in most salons its lunch on the run and a quick coffee during the day.
    People are in the hairdressing business because they absolutely love it. If you are not truly passionate about it you should look at a different business. It doesn't get any better when you are qualified. Wages improve and you'll make extra money from doing friends hair but the hours don't get any easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ExParrot42

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    That is just the way hairdressing is. I'm not saying that you are not entitled to breaks and extra pay for hours over 39 hours. Hairdressers work long hard hours for not great pay. They rely on tips.
    Maybe the likes of Peter Marks give proper breaks but in most salons its lunch on the run and a quick coffee during the day.
    People are in the hairdressing business because they absolutely love it. If you are not truly passionate about it you should look at a different business. It doesn't get any better when you are qualified. Wages improve and you'll make extra money from doing friends hair but the hours don't get any easier.

I do love it, when did I say I didn't?

I think it's just ridiculous to force someone to work like that without a break. I'll hardly do my job as well if I'm exhausted all of the time. By law I have to be given the option of a break, I was under the impression...

It's also not true that all hairdressers work these hours...I've a few other friends in hairdressing who either work 3 or 4 days a week so they have more rest time, or they only work half days. Being passionate about something doesn't mean you have to do it 50+ hours a week. That just doesn't sound healthy to me. If anything the burnout will ruin it for me.

It's not so much the money I'm worried about, since I'm not dying for lack of it and I should be qualified in a year or less. It's just the hours expected of me. Hours that I'm afraid I'll get fired for not being up to, when that isn't what I agreed to and aren't legal.

duploelabs wrote: »
    Yeah you can't, absolutely wrong and you should have a contract even if you're an apprentice, do you receive pay slips?

I haven't received payslips yet. I actually asked the other day about that, he said he has to get hem for me and back date them. He had written up a contract and wanted to go over it with me and have me sign it but that still hasn't happened. I did quickly read it over though, I saw that it was a part time contract (I work 40+ hours though?) and that my probation period was one year and I could be let go at a weeks notice.

I do love it, when did I say I didn't?

I think it's just ridiculous to force someone to work like that without a break. I'll hardly do my job as well if I'm exhausted all of the time. By law I have to be given the option of a break, I was under the impression...

It's also not true that all hairdressers work these hours...I've a few other friends in hairdressing who either work 3 or 4 days a week so they have more rest time, or they only work half days. Being passionate about something doesn't mean you have to do it 50+ hours a week. That just doesn't sound healthy to me. If anything the burnout will ruin it for me.

It's not so much the money I'm worried about, since I'm not dying for lack of it and I should be qualified in a year or less. It's just the hours expected of me. Hours that I'm afraid I'll get fired for not being up to, when that isn't what I agreed to and aren't legal.

I didn't say you didn't love it. What I meant is it is such a tough business that you wouldn't do if you didn't love it.

I also didn't say all hair salons are like that but 95% are like that.

The difference between your friends & yourself is they are part time & you are full time. If you are qualified in a year then you must be 3 years at it now (4 year apprenticeship). The long hours can't be new to you?

I feel for you & I truly know how tough a job it is but it is the nature of the business. Again I accept you are entitled to breaks etc.

• Advertisement

I haven't received payslips yet. I actually asked the other day about that, he said he has to get hem for me and back date them. He had written up a contract and wanted to go over it with me and have me sign it but that still hasn't happened. I did quickly read it over though, I saw that it was a part time contract (I work 40+ hours though?) and that my probation period was one year and I could be let go at a weeks notice.
    That's just plainly illegal. Take photographs of you starting and leaving work with the time showing from now on. You're being blatantly taken advantage of. Just cause you love your job shouldn't mean you should get paid for less or get your legal entitlement of breaks, and I'm a chef so know what that's like

I didn't say you didn't love it. What I meant is it is such a tough business that you wouldn't do if you didn't love it.

I also didn't say all hair salons are like that but 95% are like that.

The difference between your friends & yourself is they are part time & you are full time. If you are qualified in a year then you must be 3 years at it now (4 year apprenticeship). The long hours can't be new to you?

I feel for you & I truly know how tough a job it is but it is the nature of the business. Again I accept you are entitled to breaks etc.

Only new at it in Ireland - I worked full time back home but I got a half hour lunch and two fifteens. I know the hours are long, and it's not so muc the 9-6 being the problem as the not stopping at all on three days out of the week. Just shocking that his is acceptable as the norm in the business.

I'd love to do a 30 hour week, but there isn't much of that. It's full time overworking or Friday/Saturday work mostly.

I'm going to keep slogging at it anyway, I need that magic piece of paper. Then I can rent a chair!

Without payslips how do you know that you're employer is paying the correct amount of tax if any for you, all very dodgy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

Of all my experience with different trades, hairdressing is second only to the hospitality industry for operating without any qualms at all, outside the law.
    No payslips no notice no holidays no breaks bullying, are endemic and considered part of the training in many salons throughout the country.
    9 times out of 10 a hairdresser setting up in business has zero knowledge of employment law and really couldn't care less.
    They were used and abused themselves along the road, survived and thrived and have no compunction on doing it to their own underlings.
    I've seen trainee hairdressers spend the summer minding the salon owners small children while school was closed as part of their duties.
    OP of course your entitled to the same protection as every other worker.
    You can go to your CIC and talk to somebody about a way forward . If it only reassures you that you are being treated unfairly it will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I need that magic piece of paper.

OP, I'm not sure if this is off topic or not, but:

What exactly is that "magic piece of paper"? Who issues it? Who recognises it?

Every time I've seen the question of hairdressing apprenticeships come up here, the answer seems to be "there's no official system". But maybe there's something I've missed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

I think she may mean a contract.

Every time I've seen the question of hairdressing apprenticeships come up here, the answer seems to be "there's no official system". But maybe there's something I've missed.

I'm out of the loop the last 10 years or so but there was an official apprenticeship. There weren't any exams but I'm pretty sure that the joint labour court gave the certificate after 4 years. Realistically the certificate meant that you served 4 years as an apprentice. There was no exam or grading. There was talk of FAS taking over but FAS has gone too.

I meant a qualification - I've heard that once your employer deems you qualified to work without supervision on the floor they can apply for some kind of certificate for you.

I wish I knew of a course or exam board that awards a qualification....because I feel like I'm ready now. My problem is I can't call myself qualified without some kind of paper, as far as I know.

duploelabs wrote: »
    Without payslips how do you know that you're employer is paying the correct amount of tax if any for you, all very dodgy

I guess I don't. I can just hope in not going to be in trouble for it if he isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I meant a qualification - I've heard that once your employer deems you qualified to work without supervision on the floor they can apply for some kind of certificate for you.

I wish I knew of a course or exam board that awards a qualification....because I feel like I'm ready now. My problem is I can't call myself qualified without some kind of paper, as far as I know.

You are ready now? I doubt it if you don't yet know what your qualification is and how to go about getting it. Perhaps you should go a little research and maybe ask your supervisor how e exactly the qualification system works.

davo10 wrote: »
    You are ready now? I doubt it if you don't yet know what your qualification is and how to go about getting it. Perhaps you should go a little research and maybe ask your supervisor how e exactly the qualification system works.

I mean skill-wise. Again, still not totally familiar with the system here, and I get different answers from different people about which body awards qualifications, if there are exams, how people with foreign qualifications/experience are to have them recognised here etc. I've done more than a little research. From what I've gathered, time spent working in a salon (4 years) is what "qualifies" you more so than skill. You do have academies that award qualifications upon completion, but I've been advised that employers are more interested in seeing you slogged it out in a salon for 4 years, not necessarily that you've been trained and competent. At home we have a licensing exam, which can be taken from 2nd year of apprenticeship onward - obviously some people will be ready sooner and others later. I don't know now why I expected there to be the same thing here...lol. I honestly assumed there would be a licensing board where I could show my previous courses & work and could either take a practical/written exam or take a finishing course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

People are in the hairdressing business because they absolutely love it.
    It seems some people are also in the business because they love making extra profits by exploiting their employees and breaking the law. But that's only the evidence from this thread. I'm sure they just love hairdressing.

Advertisement