Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Growing again after 18?

• 11-06-2016 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

I'm 19 in a couple of days, I'm about 5'8/9 in height.
    Someone said to me 'oh you're going to be 6 foot' I assumed they thought I was 14/15 years old but when I said my age they just said 'ah ya you're going to be tall'.

I've gone up a shoe size for 8 to 9 and now onto a 9 in the space of 6 months.
    I was a size 8 since about 15 before that!

I also had an op on my knee at about that time. Could that have stunted my growth or just have put it off for a couple of years?
    I'm taller then my father but my brothers 6'3 at 16 and still growing!

I'm not too bothered about growing but I'd like to have a clear view at concerts.

Has anyone here had a growth spurt like that? Or know of anyone like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

TheBiz wrote:
    I'm not too bothered about growing but I'd like to have a clear view at concerts.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

:pac:

Well.. truth be told...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

You could keep growing alright. You might not. No point in even thinking about it though honestly as there's is no way to change it.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    You could keep growing alright. You might not. No point in even thinking about it though honestly as there's is no way to change it.

Oh I know your stuck with what your dealt but I'm just wondering has it happened, or well has it happened to anyone here or someone they know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

TheBiz wrote: »
    Oh I know your stuck with what your dealt but I'm just wondering has it happened, or well has it happened to anyone here or someone they know

It happens. AFAIK you're guaranteed to be finished growing by 25 so there is a bit of room there but I think the majority of it is done by at least 20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It's possible. I hit 6' when I was about 17 and pretty much stopped there. My best mate his about 5'4 when he was 14 and stopped growing, but then shot up when he was about 18/19 and now he's about 5'10/5'11

Sonics2k wrote: »
    It's possible. I hit 6' when I was about 17 and pretty much stopped there. My best mate his about 5'4 when he was 14 and stopped growing, but then shot up when he was about 18/19 and now he's about 5'10/5'11

It's very strange. I was always 2 inches taller than a friend of mine, he went off to college seen him a few months later and he was 2 inches taller than me!
    Then there's one lad who was 5'10 in firs year and 6'5 in 5th year.. Still growing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I did the leaving cert with a guy that must have been about 5'6" and lost touch with him for about a year. The next time I saw him he was about 6'2". It was very strange. I'm lucky in that I am quite tall but there are many other things about my body I'd exchange a little height for given a free choice.

Honestly, OP, take what you're going to get. It's more important to be happy and healthy which is where you will end up regardless of how you fare in the gene lottery.

cantdecide wrote: »
    I did the leaving cert with a guy that must have been about 5'6" and lost touch with him for about a year. The next time I saw him he was about 6'2". It was very strange. I'm lucky in that I am quite tall but there are many other things about my body I'd exchange a little height for given a free choice.

Honestly, OP, take what you're going to get. It's more important to be happy and healthy which is where you will end up regardless of how you fare in the gene lottery.

I'm happy with myself, I wouldn't consider myself too short, I'm naturally athletically built and I'm generally confident in how I look and who I am.
    But you know. The whole concert thing.. :v

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

FWIW I had a late enough growth spurt and grew two inches between 17/18 and 21.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Clear Hearts

My brother and I both had growth spurts after 19. Doing the leaving we would have both been 5 6. Im 5 11 now hes 6 1. Its funny cause guys we hadnt seen who were taller than us are now smaller. Then again you might not grow.
    Supposedly pullups can release the spine, although this is something Ive just heard not sure the validity

At 15/16 I was in the shortest 10% of my year in school, by 18 I was top 10%. I had very erratic growth and development to say the least. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I'd a bit of a growth spurt a few years after that. Mind you, I can't fit in a 32" trouser anymore....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Got tagged in an old family photo on facebook yesterday, standing next to my sister who at 5'4" was a good inch taller than me. I assumed I was about 12 at the time but I was actually 17 :pac:

I'm 5'10" now, so there ya go. Mind you my Dad is 6'4" so I still feel shortchanged :P

Mycroft H wrote: »
    I'd a bit of a growth spurt a few years after that. Mind you, I can't fit in a 32" trouser anymore....

I'm only a 29" and 29" leg...
    But I'm a medium T shirt so god knows how I stay upright..

Advertisement