Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

primary schools in Killiney (Shanganagh Rd)

Options
  • 11-06-2016 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,
    I'm moving with my family from Navan Road (D7) to Killiney and I'm desperate to find a school. I keep getting no's. I have a girl going for senior infants, another to 6th class and a boy to 4th class. Glenageary Killiney School hasn't returned my email or phone call, but we're not COI (none of us is baptized to be honest), so my hopes are low. Johnstown's Boys came back saying that we're not in the catchment area (but not giving a yes or a no).

What schools would you recommend to try and to stay away from?
    I'm really going crazy with the idea of not having a school for my kids and having to drive everyday to D7. Can't sleep at all because of this
    thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hi,
    I'm moving with my family from Navan Road (D7) to Killiney and I'm desperate to find a school. I keep getting no's. I have a girl going for senior infants, another to 6th class and a boy to 4th class. Glenageary Killiney School hasn't returned my email or phone call, but we're not COI (none of us is baptized to be honest), so my hopes are low. Johnstown's Boys came back saying that we're not in the catchment area (but not giving a yes or a no).

I'm really going crazy with the idea of not having a school for my kids and having to drive everyday to D7. Can't sleep at all because of this
    thank you.

Where in kIlliney are you moving too? http://www.gaelscoilphadraig.org May have a few places.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 carrancinha

Shanganagh road.
    as much as I love the ideia of having them in an Irish School, I wouldn't be able to assist them with their homework (and everything else): we're portuguese.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Ruby31

Which other schools said no?

Dalkey project and Stepaside's educate together, Kill o'the grange, and the Harold School.

We only got confirmation of the house we're going to on Thursday, so that's when I started to contact schools.

On Monday we're going to visit a few, but I'm aware that most lists will be done by now and It's even harder when you're not in the catchment area; and we're not even sure what's the catchment area for Shanganagh Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

Did you try Loreto Dalkey? I live in Killiney and my kids go there so I assume its in the catchment area.

• Advertisement

Hi Glenalla, I'm going to try Loreto.
    Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Try St Annes (RC) in Shankill. They had 4 classes for Junior Infants this year so are more likely to have places than GKNS which only have 1.
    Also they accepted non-baptised, non practicing children in Junior Infants last year.
    Also try Rathmichael in Shankill but they only have 1 Junior Infants class and without being COI parishioners it's unlikely you'll get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Your local school is possibly Scoil Mhuire in Rathsallagh. It has a very mixed reputation but it is a Deis school which means it is designated disadvantaged so you will most likely have much smaller class sizes and plenty of extra resources. I would certainly go and see it and talk to the principal as it would be very local to you..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Bit further out but St Joseph's on Tivoli Road in Dun Laoghaire usually has space for kids moving into the area.

You could try Monkstown Educate Together but I wouldn't be optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Ring Johnstown Girls to see what they say. They are 2 different schools. If you can get in with one it'll help getting in with the other. Another option is St Brigids in Cabinteely. There is a boys and girl school for them too, so ring both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I would have thought St John's was the nearest school?

You could try the Harold School in Glasthule as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Shanganagh road.
    as much as I love the ideia of having them in an Irish School, I wouldn't be able to assist them with their homework (and everything else): we're portuguese.

I wouldn't be too hung up on not having any Irish yourself, I sent my Daughter to Scoil Phadraig and I didn't have a word of Irish ( I was exempt in school and never studied it), she started teaching me when she was 6 or 7 and now I love it. It's a very good school.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would have thought St John's was the nearest school?
    I live near enough but am not too familiar with schools etc, but looking on google the road is 2.2km long so I wonder were they are on it. They say killiney so I am thinking on the northern end.

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/53.2522719,-6.1239599/53.2333695,-6.1235915/@53.246886,-6.1389588,14z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0

rubadub wrote: »
    I live near enough but am not too familiar with schools etc, but looking on google the road is 2.2km long so I wonder were they are on it. They say killiney so I am thinking on the northern end.

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/53.2522719,-6.1239599/53.2333695,-6.1235915/@53.246886,-6.1389588,14z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0

It is a bit further, on the corner of Church Road, at the junction with the dual carriageway.

You could try St Patrick's in Dalkey as well, but they are usually over subscribed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Hi,

thank you.
    By the way Glenageary Killiney school is not just CoI students. The Catholic students from the school make their communion and confirmation with another Catholic school

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

I suspect that GKNS would prioritise baptised children over non-baptised children.
    During lean years of low population non-COI children will get places but during years of high population COI parishioners get priority.

josip wrote: »
    I suspect that GKNS would prioritise baptised children over non-baptised children.
    During lean years of low population non-COI children will get places but during years of high population COI parishioners get priority.

Most of the CofI schools have had to do this, sadly. They always prided themselves of being for children of all faiths, or none, but members of the parishes were basically filling the schools up.

Craziest week ever. Went to all those schools and everywhere the staff was more than helpful, going through lists to see if they could find a place. Left with the impression that it's easier to transfer in the middle of the year, than to try to do this while they're still offering places to parents who have enrolled.

In the end it was Scoil Mhuire that we chose. We were very well impressed with the report and the school itself.
    Normally being DEIS wouldn't concern me (in Portugal all schools, except private ones, are DEIS), but I did find some schools that were a no-no for me. Not Scoil Mhuire though. The mix was closer to what we grow up with in Portugal; and where there's a mix, there's a choice.
    we'll see how it goes.

Now is time to go in search of a secondary for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Craziest week ever. Went to all those schools and everywhere the staff was more than helpful, going through lists to see if they could find a place. Left with the impression that it's easier to transfer in the middle of the year, than to try to do this while they're still offering places to parents who have enrolled.

In the end it was Scoil Mhuire that we chose. We were very well impressed with the report and the school itself.
    Normally being DEIS wouldn't concern me (in Portugal all schools, except private ones, are DEIS), but I did find some schools that were a no-no for me. Not Scoil Mhuire though. The mix was closer to what we grow up with in Portugal; and where there's a mix, there's a choice.
    we'll see how it goes.

Now is time to go in search of a secondary for next year.

Great to hear you got sorted. Can be anxious times trying to sort out schools for the kids.

Advertisement