Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert French marking

Options
  • 11-06-2016 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭

I have just see a post in Facebook doing the rounds and want to know if it is true or just yet another example of people reposting info that's not true
    Was posted by someone who is not a teacher but has a son doing the JC (German not French though )as do I so I think it's very important that if it's not true it's nipped in the bud
    The gist of the post is that the French exam for this years JC will be scanned electronically for marking. Therefore pencils are not to be used and all answers must be kept within boundaries or will not be scanned. I think it's prob utter rubbish but maybe a French teacher / corrector can confirm so I can clear this up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭chocoholic999

Yes it's true, it is just junior cert higher level French.they will have to use blue or black pen. The students will be told that on the day I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

km79 wrote: »
    I have just see a post in Facebook doing the rounds and want to know if it is true or just yet another example of people reposting info that's not true
    Was posted by someone who is not a teacher but has a son doing the JC (German not French though )as do I so I think it's very important that if it's not true it's nipped in the bud
    The gist of the post is that the French exam for this years JC will be scanned electronically for marking. Therefore pencils are not to be used and all answers must be kept within boundaries or will not be scanned. I think it's prob utter rubbish but maybe a French teacher / corrector can confirm so I can clear this up

I read a report in the paper this week that this was happening with a certain % of the French papers as a trial. It was either the times or indo that carried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Yes it's true, it is just junior cert higher level French.they will have to use blue or black pen. The students will be told that on the day I'm sure.

Thanks for that
    Maybe they have been told as my lad does German so I wouldn't be aware
    They really should have been told in advance . It might seem trivial but being told on day of exam will affect nervous types !

km79 wrote:
    Thanks for that Maybe they have been told as my lad does German so I wouldn't be aware They really should have been told in advance . It might seem trivial but being told on day of exam will affect nervous types !

You're probably right. The main thing is some students like to fill in the aural section in pencil, they won't be able do that. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out though and if they roll it out with lots of subjects!

You're probably right. The main thing is some students like to fill in the aural section in pencil, they won't be able do that. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out though and if they roll it out with lots of subjects!

what's the thinking behind it?
    I assume it will be to do with saving money anyway......

• Advertisement

km79 wrote:
    what's the thinking behind it? I assume it will be to do with saving money anyway......

It'll save money in postage and travel expenses anyway. I suppose there's a chance if it works that they could do away with the conference as well so no need to travel to athlone at all!

It'll save money in postage and travel expenses anyway. I suppose there's a chance if it works that they could do away with the conference as well so no need to travel to athlone at all!

but the will have to go to athloneto be scanned anyway surely ?
    Are you sayingtnat the examiners will no longer receive bags of scripts but will receive it all electronically ?
    I dont know it's sounds daft if that's the case .
    all about the money saving anyway as per usual

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I read a report in the paper this week that this was happening with a certain % of the French papers as a trial. It was either the times or indo that carried it.

It's all papers.

but the will have to go to athloneto be scanned anyway surely ?
    Are you sayingtnat the examiners will no longer receive bags of scripts but will receive it all electronically ?
    I dont know it's sounds daft if that's the case .
    all about the money saving anyway as per usual

Yes it's about saving money but it's really setting the bases for us correcting our own students.

Thanks for that
    Maybe they have been told as my lad does German so I wouldn't be aware
    They really should have been told in advance . It might seem trivial but being told on day of exam will affect nervous types !

You should see the way they informed the examiners :)

• Advertisement

You should see the way they informed the examiners :)

Facebook ? :D

Yes it's about saving money but it's really setting the bases for us correcting our own students.

km79 wrote:
    but the will have to go to athloneto be scanned anyway surely ? Are you sayingtnat the examiners will no longer receive bags of scripts but will receive it all electronically ? I dont know it's sounds daft if that's the case . all about the money saving anyway as per usual

I assume examiners will receive the papers electronically so won't need to collect bag of scripts or go to post office every few days to post samples for moderation. I'm not a French examiner though do not sure really

I assume examiners will receive the papers electronically so won't need to collect bag of scripts or go to post office every few days to post samples for moderation. I'm not a French examiner though do not sure really

This has disaster written all over it IMO
    Also if I had been correcting a subject like that this year I do not have a laptop !
    Phone and mini tablet as I have a desktop at school so have no need for a laptop for work !

Not quite ðŸ˜႒

Not quite :) A badly written i.e. the language used letter.

This has disaster written all over it IMO
    Also if I had been correcting a subject like that this year I do not have a laptop !
    Phone and mini tablet as I have a desktop at school so have no need for a laptop for work !

Yes I can see there being lots of problems even though they have said nothing could go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

It's been trialled already hasn't it?

Thing I wouldn't like to see go is the conference meetup, at least a group could air their concerns and thrash things out in the interest of fairness.
    Although some of the q's on papers are fairly open and shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

That is how exam marking is done in the UK for A-Level anyway but presume at GCSE too. Makes it easier to mark because the system is set up so that you can go through each question from each paper in turn - like you mark Q1 a paper click next and Q1 on the next paper comes up and keeps going through like that.

It does make it easier and faster to get through all the papers.

phish wrote: »
    That is how exam marking is done in the UK for A-Level anyway but presume at GCSE too. Makes it easier to mark because the system is set up so that you can go through each question from each paper in turn - like you mark Q1 a paper click next and Q1 on the next paper comes up and keeps going through like that.

In my subject if there is a paragraph written the marks are given for keywords which must be underlined and Mark written in column along the side
    How does that work on a computer ? Assuming you won't be able to edit the document by highlighting /underlining using word ?
    Thinking about it more though a LOT of time is wasted sorting papers at the start, putting them in and Out of bags etc so this could be interesting

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    It's been trialled already hasn't it?

Thing I wouldn't like to see go is the conference meetup, at least a group could air their concerns and thrash things out in the interest of fairness.
    Although some of the q's on papers are fairly open and shut.

It was trialled with advising examiners only and I presume not under time constraints that examiners would be. We had that conference already - everything is rosey in the garden and nothing is going to go wrong!!

• Advertisement

phish wrote: »

Yes you are correct but you don't get to see the national standard which was the only reason for correcting because it's not for the money.

In my subject if there is a paragraph written the marks are given for keywords which must be underlined and Mark written in column along the side
    How does that work on a computer ? Assuming you won't be able to edit the document by highlighting /underlining using word ?
    Thinking about it more though a LOT of time is wasted sorting papers at the start, putting them in and Out of bags etc so this could be interesting

You have options which do them for you. We have a letter and postcard/message as well.

Advertisement