Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orchid

Options
  • 11-06-2016 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

So i received an orchid as a present a few weeks ago, and while its flowering beautifully im worried its dying! The leaves are not as strong as they were when i got it plus the roots are not all green, the edges of the leaves are turning yellow in parts, is there anything i can do or give to this plant to revive it? Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

If you post a picture it would be better. Did you pot them on?

I keep my orchids out of direct sunlight and water with rain water only from the bottom of the pot, with a tray underneath so they dont dry out.
    I feed with a organic liquid fertilizer infrequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Talula_d

Oldtree wrote: »
    If you post a picture it would be better. Did you pot them on?

I keep my orchids out of direct sunlight and water with rain water only from the bottom of the pot, with a tray underneath so they dont dry out.
    I feed with a organic liquid fertilizer infrequently.
    I have attached a couple of photos, i repotted it into the pot the florist had recommended for it, ive only really sprayed it with water as i was told not to over water it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,455 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Those orchids are the easiest thing to look after. Its fine, don't worry about it. Occasionally a leaf will turn completely yellow - usually one at the bottom, I just cut them off. Mine stand in a sunny west facing kitchen window, I water them occasionally, when I think of it, not too much. They reward me by producing gorgeous sprays of flowers that last for a couple of months or more, then the flowers die off, and eventually produce another spray or six, a couple of times a year. Don't be too enthusiastic about repotting them, they are happier a bit overcrowded. I don't think I have ever repotted any of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭dathi

the roots in the last photo look as if they are too dry try increasing watering as it is very hot and dry at the moment i plunge the pots into a basin of water for a few minutes and then let them drip dry once a week this is a picture of one of my orchids phychopsis kalihi which is in flower at moment

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mfwic_47

I live in the west of Mayo. I'm buying a greenhouse and plan on heating the beds then placing my dormant orchids there until they are ready to shoot.

I retired 4-5 years ago from working in S. Florida. I had various species in the trees, patio lattice work, porch, everywhere. There I could treat them with a sort of benevolent nonchalance. Here it's a totally different ball game! I don't see Encycliae/Dendrobiae/Vandae thriving as they did in a wet/dry monsoon climate. This will be more like a project.

I have a few Phals & Dens now in bay windows. I'd like to get some Encycliae but I went to a site called something like Species specific but it appears to be dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭dathi

Mfwic_47 wrote: »
    I have a few Phals & Dens now in bay windows. I'd like to get some Encycliae but I went to a site called something like Species specific but it appears to be dead.

http://www.orchideeen-shop.nl/eng-resultaat.php?p=4&merkid=40%20&merknaam=SPECIAL%20OFFERS%20&sorteren=1

european site

Advertisement