Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancy /employment law

Options
  • 11-06-2016 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi
    I have been made redundant as of last Wednesday with 6 weeks notice .it's a small company with just three employees.

We have been offered statutory redundancy plus a yet to be determined payment.

The problem is the company owner /director has another similar business ten mins from this one that is thriving.we haven't been offered alternate employment there .

I am looking for some advice on the matter as we have no representation nor were we offered to have any at the announcment of the closure .

I think that statutory is not acceptable on this instance and that they are fobbing us off to see will we go quietly and cheaply for them

Any advice appreciated as I'm stressed out with worry .

Thanks

Comments

It's a different business, not another branch of the one you are in. No reason why you'd be offered anything there unless you apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

skeletor88 wrote: »
    Hi
    I have been made redundant as of last Wednesday with 6 weeks notice .it's a small company with just three employees.

We have been offered statutory redundancy plus a yet to be determined payment.

The problem is the company owner /director has another similar business ten mins from this one that is thriving.we haven't been offered alternate employment there .

I am looking for some advice on the matter as we have no representation nor were we offered to have any at the announcment of the closure .

I think that statutory is not acceptable on this instance and that they are fobbing us off to see will we go quietly and cheaply for them

Any advice appreciated as I'm stressed out with worry .

Thanks

I'm sorry that you lost your job but if the company is unable to pay redundancy, there is little you can do. The owners other business, presumably is s spectate entity rather than being part of your company.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 skeletor88

Augeo wrote: »
    It's a different business, not another branch of the one you are in. No reason why you'd be offered anything there unless you apply.

Thanks for the reply.

It has been offered to two previous employees that were let go .

I'm more co concerned with the redundancy issue to be honest or advice on who to contact for representation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Sorry to hear you have lost your job.

You need to find out what the extra payment is.

But, why do you think statutory is not acceptable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Thanks for the reply.

It has been offered to two previous employees that were let go .

I'm more co concerned with the redundancy issue to be honest or advice on who to contact for representation.

The company may have had cash reserves at time previous employees were let go, which are now exhausted.

If they are limited companies the owner is unlikely to take cash from one to pay another.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear about the job loss, but statutory redundancy is all they need give, no matter how many business' they own. Thinking otherwise will only make you unhappy and not in the right frame of mind for looking for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Particularly if the other business is fully staffed ther is no need to offer you employment there, how could they.

You're lucky they are considering a payment along with statutory, most small companies done, and they certainly don't have to.

_Brian wrote: »
    Particularly if the other business is fully staffed ther is no need to offer you employment there, how could they.

You're lucky they are considering a payment along with statutory, most small companies done, and they certainly don't have to.

Thanks for all the replies all points taken on board

.all the accounts were done and wages were processed in the other bigger company .they also dictated our holidays .these are some of the reasons I think of the company as a part of the bigger company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

I too am sorry you've lost your job.
    Any attempt to get more redundancy then the statutory amount will be rebuffed by Workplace Relations ( the official body that deals with employment disputes ). They only deal with complaints that are covered by current legislation.
    Current legislation says you are only "entitled" to statutory , that's it.
    You could start to take a civil action against your employer which will be very expensive for you and will ultimately end in failure.
    Sorry once again. You can ring workplace relations on Monday if you like. Ignore "press button 1....etc" stay on the phone till you get through. 1890808090

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭LadyLucinda

How much is statutory redundancy?

• Advertisement

I too am sorry you've lost your job.
    Any attempt to get more redundancy then the statutory amount will be rebuffed by Workplace Relations ( the official body that deals with employment disputes ). They only deal with complaints that are covered by current legislation.
    Current legislation says you are only "entitled" to statutory , that's it.
    You could start to take a civil action against your employer which will be very expensive for you and will ultimately end in failure.
    Sorry once again. You can ring workplace relations on Monday if you like. Ignore "press button 1....etc" stay on the phone till you get through. 1890808090

thanks a lot for the reply.I suppose it's a bitter pill I just have to swallow and get the head down finding new employment.

I'll still give them a ring Monday .thanks to all for replies .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

How much is statutory redundancy?

Statutory redundancy is 2 weeks gross wages, up to a max 600 per week, for each year that you work. Plus one week thrown on top
    So, if you worked for 6 years it will be:
    2 X weeks wages X 6 = 12 weeks wages + 1 weeks wages = 13 weeks wages

To be made redundant you must have worked for that employer for at least 104 weeks

Advertisement