Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My company will reimburse me for rent but want a monthly invoice

Options
  • 11-06-2016 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

I am looking for a new place, and my company says that if I can bring them tenancy agreement and invoicing they can reimburse me to an amount every month. Finding short term house is even harder, and I don't have any idea about what this invoicing thing means. Plenty of people looking for 3rd or 2nd person for the empty room, but I don't know if I can get "invoicing" as my company asked for. Because it's weekend no one really answers their phones so I can't get an answer quick.

My company says like this: You will need to submit a signed tenancy Agreement for your new accommodation along with a corresponding invoice

I really don't know about this stuff, and I hate that I have to deal it by myself, so I am sorry if it's like a really easy topic actually.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

They need a bill for their AP department, that's all. Find out whether they mean that your landlord needs to send you a bill each month for the rent, or whether you yourself need to invoice them for the reimbursement amount, in which case you can just use an MS Word invoice template and fill it in yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭bonjurkes

would landloard send a bill for me each month? Because some of the listings are like, the people living in the flat is looking for a house mate to split up the bill, not like "landlord" is putting the listing. Should I ask about that specially?

Will I deal with landlord, even though it's like some guys looking for flat mate? Because I also need tenancy agreement for gnib.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Realistically, you probably cannot go for situations where you're just filling one room in a place - the landlord in them is unlikely to be able to provide the level of paperwork you need.

This is one case where using a rental agency would be better: they understand full well about invoicing (and may even be producing invoices every month to keep their accounting system in line, even though they get paid without having to give out the invoices).

Level of paperwork as "tenancy agreement" and "invoicing"? I will ask about the invoicing on Monday, like if they really need an old style invoice or if there is any other method.

About tenancy agreement, is it hard to obtain also if you are filling a room in a house? Because I need address proof for gnib office and other stuff. I won't get any bills on me as my staying term is really short, so only hope is a proper "tenancy agreement".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It's a simple process tbh.
    Just agree rental figure and payment date.

You tell the landlord how long before payment date he needs to issue with the invoice for and that's it. I would just create an MS sheets invoicing rent and email it to you every month. Heck id probably just email you 6 in one go for you to sum it monthly.

How will you deal with deposits and first month up front though?

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »

You tell the landlord how long before payment date he needs to issue with the invoice for and that's it. I would just create an MS sheets invoicing rent and email it to you every month. Heck id probably just email you 6 in one go for you to sum it monthly.

First month up front is not an issue but I don't know if I need to pay deposit even though if I am just renting a room? (Not whole house)

The thing that I didn't understand is, can I just move in to same house that my friend is living, into the seperate room. Or should I "only" find a room that is rent by house owner because I need those papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

bonjurkes wrote: »
    About tenancy agreement, is it hard to obtain also if you are filling a room in a house? Because I need address proof for gnib office and other stuff. I won't get any bills on me as my staying term is really short, so only hope is a proper "tenancy agreement".

The easiest way to get proof of address is to ask Revenue to send you a tax-credits certificate.

Whether that's enough or not depends of whether GNIB will accept it, or if they want to see a tenancy agreement. I suspect they will though - lots of short term students and workers are not in a position to sign a tenancy agreement, so only rent a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

kceire wrote: »

Sounds like the OP is working for a MNC and will need proper invoices from a company to submit their expenses.
    First month up front is not an issue but I don't know if I need to pay deposit even though if I am just renting a room? (Not whole house)

The thing that I didn't understand is, can I just move in to same house that my friend is living, into the seperate room. Or should I "only" find a room that is rent by house owner because I need those papers?

If you can get a lease agreement off the landlord and get them to send you invoices then yes you can, if you just move in and give your friend some cash it might flag with payroll/expenses.

Well surprisingly my company said that it's okay if I create an invoice to them with proof of sending money (electronic statement or screenshot).

I want to be sure that I will do it correctly (as I never did before), so how can I do it? There are some invoice templates for Ireland.

I never created an invoice by myself, so is there any dummy proof explanation to do that? I don't have a company, I am just a individual that will invite to a company.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Well surprisingly my company said that it's okay if I create an invoice to them with proof of sending money (electronic statement or screenshot).

I want to be sure that I will do it correctly (as I never did before), so how can I do it? There are some invoice templates for Ireland.

I never created an invoice by myself, so is there any dummy proof explanation to do that? I don't have a company, I am just a individual that will invite to a company.

i worked for a US multinational and had similar request and circumstances, again I just made the invoice in excel with all the details, and had all the evidence of paying rent to the landlord if there was ever a need to check anything.

• Advertisement

A letter headed "Invoice" with the following basic information is usually sufficient:

- Date of the letter itself
    - The amount paid
    - Exactly what the amount was paid for
    - Any other payments and their descriptions
    - Total amount due

You could use something like the following:

Invoice
    June 13, 2016

Attn: Accounts Payable

For residential rent reimbursement for 10 Address Road, Wexford, covering June 15 to July 15, 2016: EUR 1300
    For Electric Ireland deposit for the above property: EUR 165

Total amount: EUR 1465

Enclosures: Receipt from Landlord dated June 10, copy of electric bill dated June 3

Keep a copy of the letter and of all enclosures for your records.

Thank you so much Speedwell! I will send it to my company and see if it will be fine for them , just to be double sure to not have problem in the future.

Edit: How I am supposed to get receipt from landlord? Is it not enough if I just send the screenshot of the money that I send? (or statement)

I am not sure how am I supposed to get receipt from Landlord. That's why I am asking

Thank you so much Speedwell! I will send it to my company and see if it will be fine for them , just to be double sure to not have problem in the future.

Edit: How I am supposed to get receipt from landlord? Is it not enough if I just send the screenshot of the money that I send? (or statement)

I am not sure how am I supposed to get receipt from Landlord. That's why I am asking

Ask the landlord. If the landlord is a leasing agent, they should have letterhead and they can just write "Received 1200 EUR on July 13 2016 from Bonjurkes for rental payment 10 Address Road July 15 to June 15". If they are just a person, then they should write the same or the equivalent (date received, amount received, who paid, for what property, for what purpose, for what period), and legibly date (again), print their name, and sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's weird that they're asking for an actual invoice, rather than putting this through their expenses system.

By submitting an invoice, it's making you look like a supplier, which opens up questions.

dudara wrote: »
    It's weird that they're asking for an actual invoice, rather than putting this through their expenses system.

By submitting an invoice, it's making you look like a supplier, which opens up questions.

I agree. I was thinking the OP was being treated as a contractor, which is typical in IT so I didn't really register it as anomalous. But an employee would probably just submit the receipt for reimbursement, not an invoice for payment.

Speedwell wrote: »

Ask the landlord. If the landlord is a leasing agent, they should have letterhead and they can just write "Received 1200 EUR on July 13 2016 from Bonjurkes for rental payment 10 Address Road July 15 to June 15". If they are just a person, then they should write the same or the equivalent (date received, amount received, who paid, for what property, for what purpose, for what period), and legibly date (again), print their name, and sign.
    Well I saw situations like 1 guy rented the house (with 3 rooms) and he is renting 2 vacant rooms so he will have enough money for the rent. So he is actually looking for a house mate, and this is not a listing from the landlord.

Like "Speedwell" rented 2 bedroom house and he is looking for a flatmate. I saw ads like this, then I am not sure what I am supposed to do because I feel like I won't even see the real house owner (in this case lets say it's dudara).

Company asks an invoice from dudara for 600 euro (the amount I pay) , or I should write an invoice to company with receipt from dudara got the money (or maybe some proof that I sent money to dudara).

I don't know how can I work it out for the cases like this, because "Speedwell" don't want to deal with this issue or he doesn't even know what he is supposed to do.

Should I just call the apartment listing owner and explain the situation every time? Or should I only look for listings that is done by landlord.

It's really confusing for me.

Well I saw situations like 1 guy rented the house (with 3 rooms) and he is renting 2 vacant rooms so he will have enough money for the rent. So he is actually looking for a house mate, and this is not a listing from the landlord.

Like "Speedwell" rented 2 bedroom house and he is looking for a flatmate. I saw ads like this, then I am not sure what I am supposed to do because I feel like I won't even see the real house owner (in this case lets say it's dudara).

Company asks an invoice from dudara for 600 euro (the amount I pay) , or I should write an invoice to company with receipt from dudara got the money (or maybe some proof that I sent money to dudara).

I don't know how can I work it out for the cases like this, because "Speedwell" don't want to deal with this issue or he doesn't even know what he is supposed to do.

Should I just call the apartment listing owner and explain the situation every time? Or should I only look for listings that is done by landlord.

It's really confusing for me.

Look only for listings where you have a landlord who is willing to write you a receipt for the rent every month. No responsible landlord will refuse to do this.

Well is there an easy way to search for that? I saw some listing like "Apartment is not owner occupied". Does that mean anything? Or is there a special way to search for apartments like that? Like only rented directly by landlord

Advertisement