Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircode design

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Cool it. Do not attack other posters - it is against the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭plodder

PDVerse wrote: »
    To summarise our main disagreements
    The issue isn't really whether the CSO is happy. It's whether the potential users of the CSO's statistics are happy. The issue I highlighted relating to the disparity in routing key area size, might not have been noticed yet by those potential users. But, that doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist.

The problem doesn't exist.
    So, the CSO's house price statistics give one figure for the whole of Galway and North Clare (minus Clifden strangely), whereas there are something like 37 separate figures for the Dublin area, meaning that separate trends can be noted in each Dublin area, but not Galway. I think it's a problem that the stats have limited use in Galway (and the same for Limerick). You don't. Fair enough. No point in debating it further then.
    That suggests the real reason for not following the same model is some thing else, and surely enough the desire to monetise the data and disallow any significant usage outside of a commercial model, is a much better explanation
    This claim is false.
    So, you're saying the motivation was not to monetise the data, it just turned out that way. It doesn't really matter because the data is monetised (you have to pay to get it) currently.
    We agree that this tragedy will be averted when Google (and subsequently Bing Maps and others) have integrated Eircode fully. There really isn't any more to be said until we can evaluate the Google integration, which is currently in beta testing.
    The reason why I find this a little hard to believe, is that if much of this data will be available for free through google (or through google's commercial terms), what does that mean for the commercial model of Eircode itself and why is there such resistance to releasing any data at all for free directly? I get the impression that some people don't really know what google are going to do with it. But, who knows, maybe something good will come out of this, from that angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Bray Head

@plodder

CSO produce many more egregious disaggregations. For example they calculate average personal income for each of the counties or Leitrim and Roscommon but do not break down the county of Dublin at all!

Bray Head wrote: »
    @plodder

CSO produce many more egregious disaggregations. For example they calculate average personal income for each of the counties or Leitrim and Roscommon but do not break down the county of Dublin at all!
    That was the same with house price statistics before. Counties were the main geographic unit that people were familiar with and which covered the entire state.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Bray Head

plodder wrote: »
    @plodder

That was the same with house price statistics before. Counties were the main geographic unit that people were familiar with and which covered the entire state.

Are you suggesting that the CSO used to provide county-level breakdowns of house price stats?

• Advertisement

Are you suggesting that the CSO used to provide county-level breakdowns of house price stats?
    Ok, it was only by local authority in the Dublin area, I stand corrected. I don't know why the CSO did that. But, given that they have adopted Eircode routing keys as the most granular level for these stats, I think the point stands that it would have been more useful if the larger routing key areas were divided into smaller ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 neiljung

Eircode search now working in Google Maps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭BowWow

neiljung wrote: »
    Eircode search now working in Google Maps!

Hello - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100882955

Advertisement