Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 England V Russia on and off the pitch ITV/TV3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

surprised with reports of French involved , they don't usually have a reputation for football violence - i would suspect mainly locals in Marsellles which happened previously when they targeted English fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

English fans on 5 live: We where just sitting there with small children and families walking by having a quiet pint and all of a sudden Russian fans attacked us.

Yeah we believe you. Quiet pints sure.

The last time France hosted England fans were on the rampage. Iirc it was particularly bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

British ambassador to France confirms there was "an incident" at Marseille metro station but the French will confirm the details.

***NB Update ****It looks like a French Woman was involved not an England Fan

https://twitter.com/BreakingDotUK/status/741766476978376706

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Always targeted? And never do the targeting themselves?

Yes.

They go to cities around Europe - it could be a family outing, and they get targeted by the local Ultras for being English.

Alright.. you get some bellends telling a black guy to get off a train in Paris, but you have roving bands of scumbags like tonight, often armed with knives, looking to cause trouble in other countries.

There are obviously going to be a few dickheads amongst the English fans because some people are just dickeads, but you don't have the concerted efforts at hooliganism anymore. It was defeated in England.
    It's still thriving in many cities on the continent.

DominoDub wrote: »
    British ambassador to France confirms there was "an incident" at Marseille metro station but the French will confirm the details.

Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

thebaz wrote: »
    surprised with reports of French involved , they don't usually have a reputation for football violence - i would suspect mainly locals in Marsellles which happened previously when they targeted English fans

Marseille is a grim town and once you get out of a lot of French cities and into le banlieue, you really get an idea of how shady some of these areas are. Just full of immigrants with no prospects, **** all money and disenfranchised youth. I'm not surprised at all tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Superhorse wrote: »
    English fans on 5 live: We where just sitting there with small children and families walking by having a quiet pint and all of a sudden Russian fans attacked us.

You think the English attacked the Russians while holding their childrens hands? Why is it so difficult to believe somebody other than the English are responsible for some of the violence?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Marseille is a grim town and once you get out of a lot of French cities and into le banlieue, you really get an idea of how shady some of these areas are. Just full of immigrants with no prospects, **** all money and disenfranchised youth. I'm not surprised at all tbh.

It's like they could make an acclaimed movie about it? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

It's very possible that happened. Hooligans target the easiest victims. The problem with widespread violence is that innocents eventually get caught up in the mess.

Sad, but that's the way it is.

• Advertisement

Some of the stuff is pathetic on 5 live. A convicted football hooligan on blaming the French police for the trouble. You'd laugh if it wasn't so serious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 The Force Within

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    How do you know by the pictures that it isn't innocent people just trying to get away receiving the beatings, not every England fan is looking for trouble.

That isnt what I said, Ive already said a small section of scumbags ruin it for everyone

Some of the stuff is pathetic on 5 live. A convicted football hooligan on blaming the French police for the trouble. You'd laugh if it wasn't so serious.

We are always going to get the English bias on these stories via Sky,,BBC etc. Pinch of salt required

You think the English attacked the Russians while holding their childrens hands? Why is it so difficult to believe somebody other than the English are responsible for some of the violence?

I didn't say that. I said the families where walking by. In terms of numbers it's the English causing the majority of the trouble, like usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I'm well aware - I have spent time in the banlieue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

Seeing on Twitter that nobody was killed at the metro, a French woman injured apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

I didn't say that. I said the families where walking by. In terms of numbers it's the English causing the majority of the trouble, like usual.

What are you talking about. Its like blaming it on Liverpool fans because of Heysel.

Have you seen what goes off in european football, theyre absolute nutjobs. This is England fans, and now NI/Poles, being targeted.

You can bleat all you like about England causing everything, what like 9/11, 7/7, i dont know what else should England fans get blamed for because im sure there were english people there.

This is pure and simple English fans having the craic, and Russians and Marseillaise starting the ****, and yes im sure there was retaliation, why wouldnt there be.

facts people not fables

Gbear wrote: »
    Yes.

They go to cities around Europe - it could be a family outing, and they get targeted by the local Ultras for being English.

Alright.. you get some bellends telling a black guy to get off a train in Paris, but you have roving bands of scumbags like tonight, often armed with knives, looking to cause trouble in other countries.

There are obviously going to be a few dickheads amongst the English fans because some people are just dickeads, but you don't have the concerted efforts at hooliganism anymore. It was defeated in England.
    It's still thriving in many cities on the continent.

You can't just dismiss England fans violence by saying they are targeted every time and rarely at fault because that would be nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Dont know if its been said on here already but polish ansd northern irish fans at it now, my spanish friends think its the republics fans, but dont worry lads i cleared it up for them

• Advertisement

What are you talking about. Its like blaming it on Liverpool fans because of Heysel.

Have you seen what goes off in european football, theyre absolute nutjobs. This is England fans, and now NI/Poles, being targeted.

You can bleat all you like about England causing everything, what like 9/11, 7/7, i dont know what else should England fans get blamed for because im sure there were english people there.

This is pure and simple English fans having the craic, and Russians and Marseillaise starting the ****, and yes im sure there was retaliation, why wouldnt there be.

facts people not fables

Yeah just having the crack. 9/11 something something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Collymore is doing a live video stream on Twitter from the centre of Marseilles.

Even if you don't like him you will get an idea of the atmosphere there. He's currently on the retreat after being in the centre of tear gas from the police.

It's scary stuff. No sign of Russian fans. Lots of locals and English fans congragated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

It's too simplistic to blame one section over another for all of this. It's also too complicated to find the cause of it all.

1. English thugs are at fault.

2. Russian thugs are at fault.

3. The French police have been more of a hindrance than a help at times it seems.

4. The local thugs are at fault.

5. UEFA - grow some balls and do something now, not in a few days.

6. Anyone out there, stay safe.

Has anyone seen the Joe Hart video? How sad is it that he has to say something like that? Those poor people caught up in the premeditated actions of thugs. Where were the French police/security? Useless. Off combating ISIS. Forgot about the immediate danger in the stadium.

Dont know if its been said on here already but polish ansd northern irish fans at it now, my spanish friends think its the republics fans, but dont worry lads i cleared it up for them

BBC reported that both sets of fans were drinking together when attacked by a group of about 50 local "ultras". They later posted a video of the fans drinking together again after it had died down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ultras.

What a bunch of ****.

Always Ultras

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It is not hard to predict the personality profile of the people finding a way to blame the English.

The Russians have the worst Hooligan problem in Europe. The worst Hooligan problem in France is down south in the Arab cities. Despite not being in trouble for years, the English are still the holy grail for all of Europe's hooligans. No matter how much they clean their act up, they will be attacked until international football ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Russian fans have as well.

Its also know that in 2012 Russia caused issues with there fans as well.

If another country causes havoc its fine they get a slap on the wrist but if its enghlish fans, we get banned for life etc.

Remember when Napoli played arsenal a while ago? There fans smashed a few restaurants during the day and got away with it.

Or when Spurs played Napoli too and there fans got beaten up yet Uefa did **** all.

20-30 years ago or so wasnt it liverpool fans that caused havoc and we got booted out of europe for a while?

Come on man. im all for punishments but they have to be done equally.

One rule for england and another set of rules for everyone else

If you think all russian fans are angels, you have no idea.

Would you rather host the WC in russia or england? which one is safer? which one will have less issues etc?

You do know it was Maggie Thatcher who called for English teams to be banned from Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Lads, if you're seeing 'journalists' reporting things on Twitter like that England fan hit by a train, just look at the bio. If it says the reporter is working for the Forest Echo, they're all fake accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

adox wrote: »
    BBC reported that both sets of fans were drinking together when attacked by a group of about 50 local "ultras". They later posted a video of the fans drinking together again after it had died down.

Sound for that, here in spain they tend to get the news arse ways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You do realise that there is a small few that cause all the trouble and there are loads of good people who go to games?

The likelyhood is that the person that Sky talk to is just an ordinary good guy.

• Advertisement

It is not hard to predict the personality profile of the people finding a way to blame the English.

The Russians have the worst Hooligan problem in Europe. The worst Hooligan problem in France is down south in the Arab cities. Despite not being in trouble for years, the English are still the holy frail for all of Europe's hooligans. No matter how much they clean their act up, they will be attacked until international football ends.

Most be loads of photoshopped pictures of English fans throwing stuff the last few days then.

Also anyone that sings 'ISIS, where are ya' in a country that has been brutally attacked by thrm recently is asking for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Q&A

Any mention of the match in this thread? I've gone 5 pages back and no sign of any talk of it. This should be 2 seperare threads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 The Force Within

adox wrote: »

They drinking together now, wait till the game starts tomorrow, their is no way either of those fans will stay that way. Poland have a dominant ultra faction and N.I the opposite, there will be a riot, hopefully the French sort them self out for tomorrow

In regards to the trouble over there, from what i've seen and read, the English fans have been causing trouble over the last couple of days, the Russians have waded in today and attacked a lot of English fans and you have the problem with the local ultras going downtown attacking the football fans in that particular area.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jaysisjames

its clear for anyone to 2 eyes in their face that
    (a) Rusian/French hoolies want a go off the english guys, to test themselves against what they see as the original hooligans
    (b) young english guys from no mark towns like york, exeter, darlington etc are trying make a name for themselves by reacting to above

i have to say ,russian fans charging men, women & kids(proof easily found on twitter, facebook etc) in the stadium just shows how windy the russians are.i wouldnt mind but they scored a last minute goal -it just shows that the football is a sideshow to their antics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Q&A

Any mention of the match in this thread? I've gone 5 pages back and no sign of any talk of it. This should be 2 seperare threads.

• gandalf wrote: »
    Setting aside the which fans are the biggest thugs discussion it is the French Police and authorities who have the most serious questions to answer. I would have expected proper segregation of fans which a proper police presence with two sets of fans notorious for football violence. I would also question the fact that some were able to bring in fireworks to the stadium and it doesn't bode well for the tight security promises for this championship.

Great post

I thought this airport style security had you going through metal detectors / body searches ect

Hugely concerning

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jaysisjames

its clear for anyone with 2 eyes in their face that
    (a) Rusian/French hoolies want a go off the english guys, to test themselves against what they see as the original hooligans
    (b) young english guys from no mark towns like york, exeter, darlington etc are trying make a name for themselves by reacting to above

i have to say ,russian fans charging men, women & kids(proof easily found on twitter, facebook etc) in the stadium just shows how windy the russians are.i wouldnt mind but they scored a last minute goal -it just shows that the football is a sideshow to their antics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

monkey9 wrote: »
    Lads, if you're seeing 'journalists' reporting things on Twitter like that England fan hit by a train, just look at the bio. If it says the reporter is working for the Forest Echo, they're all fake accounts.

It was a French woman who seemingly jumped in front of the Metro.

Local 'fans' attacked NI fans at a bar,it seems like a lot of morons are out to make a name for themselves at this tournament.The Russians are just nutjobs,I doubt many are relishing going there in 2 years time.

monkey9 wrote: »
    In regards to the trouble over there, from what i've seen and read, the English fans have been causing trouble over the last couple of days, the Russians have waded in today and attacked a lot of English fans and you have the problem with the local ultras going downtown attacking the football fans in that particular area.

Arena to be an accurate summary of the past few days.

3 seperate groups are to blame for this.

• Advertisement

Q&A wrote: »

Yeah, you'll find lots of talk about the match if you scroll back to the times of when the match was on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Ultras.

What a bunch of ****.

Do England even have ultras? This just seems like absolute dirt on the rampage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Most be loads of photoshopped pictures of English fans throwing stuff the last few days then.

Also anyone that sings 'ISIS, where are ya' in a country that has been brutally attacked by thrm recently is asking for it

What happened before those pictures?

Your last point makes no sense.

Did you read the thread title?

What happened before those pictures?

Your last point makes no sense.

Oh of course it was someone else's fault.

English fans always defending themselves with pint glasses ! Unbelievable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's more now about the game of political football.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Is an ''ISIS where are ya'' chant not mocking ISIS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Mec27 wrote: »

I'd imagine so unless the intelligence agencies have gotten really desperate in their search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

CSF wrote: »
    Do England even have ultras? This just seems like absolute dirt on the rampage.

Don't think so, but they do have muppets.

No, c*nts.

And it's such a horrible thing because the huge, huge majority of England fans are just decent blokes, wondering why Harry Kane is taking the bleedin corners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Mec27 wrote: »

Seems a sensible thing to do alright.

Advertisement