Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 England V Russia on and off the pitch ITV/TV3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Yes, in retaliation, what would you do if a gang of foreigners/locals were coming to attack you, calmly walk away?
    Hes not there, and hes got to say he doesnt condone 'it'.
    Do you not watch the news? There's pictures, videos, and articles all over the internet showing drink fuelled, English headbangers, foaming at the mouth while singing songs about the IRA and throwing bottles and chairs at the police. It's nonsensical that anyone should defend this kind of behaviour.

Do you not watch the news? There's pictures, videos, and articles all over the internet showing drink fuelled, English headbangers, foaming at the mouth while singing songs about the IRA and throwing bottles and chairs at the police. It's nonsensical that anyone should defend this kind of behaviour.

It's all in retaliation so we're told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Well as an England fan that was a reassuringly predictable outcome to the game. Wouldn't feel right England winning their first group game.

Not confident for remaining games either, but why would I be.

Well known hooligan Mrs Vardy who I'm sure was looking for trouble in midst of the rougher elements of England fans.

https://twitter.com/RebekahVardy/status/741740182710452224

Riots in Nice. God those England fans get around

https://twitter.com/EurosUEFA/status/741760932150423552

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

The English go to all these tournaments with the same end result, came to trash out the place, throw a few chairs, bottles cause absolute havoc and then get beaten to f*ck by local ultras and opposition scum.

Rinse and Repeat.

Always enjoy the Irish reaction to England at a tournament.

English football fans are scum, thugs, should be caged and banned, hate seeing them at these tournaments...God I love ManU/Liverpool, best fans in the world, I was over to see them last year, they love the Irish...

• RoboKlopp wrote: »
    It's all in retaliation so we're told.

Everyone is accountable. Russians, English, French but I can understand some of his point about these targeted gangs who have been instigating some of these clashes. Doesn't excuse the English but they do that in every tournament, loud, in your face aggressive behavior. Drinking all day doesn't help. And yes England have plenty of thugs who just go to stir up ****. But the point was made earlier that the French authoritys are the biggest fools of the lot.
    Utterly frustrating as I'm heading there on the 21st. Begs the question who will the gangs target next. Northern Ireland and Poland already had a taste last night. As if worrying about Isis wasn't enough already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Yes, in retaliation, what would you do if a gang of foreigners/locals were coming to attack you, calmly walk away?
    Hes not there, and hes got to say he doesnt condone 'it'.

No one is arguing there arent dickheads who travel but this has all been started by people who have an agenda and the BS aimed towards the England supporters is a joke.

Im more concerned about the safety measures, there is none, we couldve had another Hillsborough/Heysel in the stadium last night. But sure lets blame England for that too.

They aren't England supporters. They are thugs who use football as an excuse to act like thugs. Don't try to defend them. It's indefensible. Poor little England being persecuted? You think it's a coincidence this happens so often with English "fans"? It's not really related to football. They are just thugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Having been to few Ireland games in Eastern Europe if I was given the choice between walking down street in Ireland jersey through England fans or Russian fans it be English all day long.

I and few friends were attacked by Neo Nazis in Czech Republic after game in Prague in 2007, even though we were just walking down street going back to hotel.

They're few incidents that happened that night, and I remember we brought a Irish fan, over with his Girlfriend, to stay in our room as it was kicking off and they were being taunted at. Those Russians and Eastern Europeans are a different level. Fitter, younger, stronger, more organised and will attack women and Children too.

The English lads looking for it I don't care about, but they're plenty of very good English supporters who got caught up too last night, it's not right and anyone trying justify it are low level humans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Always enjoy the Irish reaction to England at a tournament.

English football fans are scum, thugs, should be caged and banned, hate seeing them at these tournaments...God I love ManU/Liverpool, best fans in the world, I was over to see them last year, they love the Irish...

Ridiculous and cliche comment"
    Most of the comments are based on facts. A small minority of English fans are causing and attracting trouble over there.

"But I support Man Utd, so I best not talk about this ytopical situation"

There are eegits that are generalising all english fans which is nonsense to the highest order but the pictures arent lying.

The "why do you support Man Utd and not Finn Harps" argument doesnt make sense in this debate

Original comment all the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think it shows a lack of knowledge of European football when you see people foaming at the mouth to bash the brits.

One poster even said why is it always England? If you had any knowledge of Europe you would be asking 'Why is it always Russia?'. The worst trouble of Euro 2012 was from Russian fans. Euro 2008, was Russian fans too. I could only imagine the Irish mouth foaming if that flare-gun was fired by England fans.

England fans have not been involved in any large scale riots since Euro 2000. Russia can't seem to leave their front gardens without getting involved in carnage.

And that is before we get to the 'french' locals, who kicked the whole thing off.

Ridiculous and cliche comment"
    Most of the comments are based on facts. A small minority of English fans are causing and attracting trouble over there.

"But I support Man Utd, so I best not talk about this ytopical situation"

There are eegits that are generalising all english fans which is nonsense to the highest order but the pictures arent lying.

The "why do you support Man Utd and not Finn Harps" argument doesnt make sense in this debate

Original comment all the same!

But you can convince yourself it's all rational and there is no fundamental tension between those positions.

And I can laugh at it.

My eardrums are still ringing from tv3's commentary.

EWFzV.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Having been to few Ireland games in Eastern Europe if I was given the choice between walking down street in Ireland jersey through England fans or Russian fans it be English all day long.

I and few friends were attacked by Neo Nazis in Czech Republic after game in Prague in 2007, even though we were just walking down street going back to hotel.

They're few incidents that happened that night, and I remember we brought a Irish fan, over with his Girlfriend, to stay in our room as it was kicking off and they were being taunted at. Those Russians and Eastern Europeans are a different level. Fitter, younger, stronger, more organised and will attack women and Children too.

The English lads looking for it I don't care about, but they're plenty of very good English supporters who got caught up too last night, it's not right and anyone trying justify it are low level humans.

Well said, the eastern European element are as bad if not worse than the late 80S English thugs. They are highly organised and intent on having a good hard go. Yes England have the morons who travel within their ranks but the majority of England fans in France aren't there for that. It started out with them lobbing chairs at gangs of local Marseilles fans who were charging them. As for singing anti Ira songs, hardly constitutes hooliganism. Anyone who can't see the bigger picture here is just blindly ignorant and far too happy to blame it all on Engerlund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Let's be honest, the 'locals' who are causing the trouble in France are not French.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Are the Welsh going to get a clobbering by Russians? Do the Russians even care that there's a difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Ill just leave this here. Believe what you like.

I prefer facts from people who are there instead of sensationalist nonsense.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/euro-2016/video-owner-of-irish-bar-at-the-centre-of-marseilles-violence-involving-english-fans-speaks-34789218.html

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

It was funny to see those "hooligans" running away like rats after attacking the russians, I just not understand why only Russia can get retaliations? Let's also remember in 1986 in Belgium those English fans attacked the sector of the Juventus supporters that had only families (poor people from southern Italy that emigrated). And those good men won only ONE world cup with a very suspicious games (Pelé of Brazil was broken at the beginning of the competition) and at home. Since then they never won anything, are good only for talking.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Let's be honest, the 'locals' who are causing the trouble in France are not French.
    Thanked this post by accident when I wanted to quote it. They're French. They've french passports they're French.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I think it shows a lack of knowledge of European football when you see people foaming at the mouth to bash the brits.

One poster even said why is it always England? If you had any knowledge of Europe you would be asking 'Why is it always Russia?'. The worst trouble of Euro 2012 was from Russian fans. Euro 2008, was Russian fans too. I could only imagine the Irish mouth foaming if that flare-gun was fired by England fans.

England fans have not been involved in any large scale riots since Euro 2000. Russia can't seem to leave their front gardens without getting involved in carnage.

And that is before we get to the 'french' locals, who kicked the whole thing off.

I think part of the problem is the British fans are seen as the original hooligans and the other thugs be they local or otherwise are attracted towards England's fans in a pathetic attempt to prove themselves. I've been to a few matches in England over the years and I was lucky enough to attend a match at the WC in Japan. All the English I have met have been extremely sound people who hold our team in high esteem. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Das Reich wrote: »
    It was funny to see those "hooligans" running away like rats after attacking the russians, I just not understand why only Russia can get retaliations? Let's also remember in 1986 in Belgium those English fags attacked the sector of the Juventus supporters that had only families (poor people from southern Italy that emigrated). And those homosexuals won only ONE world cup with a very suspicious games (Pelé of Brazil was broken at the beginning of the competition) and at home. Since then they never won anything, are good only for talking.

Well aren't you a little ray of inclusive sunshine?

Strange you havent linked me to anything that confirms this English behaviour other than retaliation.
    There will always be songs about the IRA, and german bombers. Its hardly a criminal offence.

'English headbangers, foaming at the mouth'..hahaha. You should get a job with the Daily Mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It was funny to see those "hooligans" running away like rats after attacking the russians, I just not understand why only Russia can get retaliations? Let's also remember in 1986 in Belgium those English fags attacked the sector of the Juventus supporters that had only families (poor people from southern Italy that emigrated). And those homosexuals won only ONE world cup with a very suspicious games (Pelé of Brazil was broken at the beginning of the competition) and at home. Since then they never won anything, are good only for talking.

No need for that name calling.

Disgusting post.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Well aren't you a little ray of inclusive sunshine?

What does that mean?

ush wrote: »
    Thanked this post by accident when I wanted to quote it. They're French. They've french passports they're French.

You can unthank it if you want to.

They are French the same way that Egyptian guy stuck in a prison cell is Irish.

I simply mean that you'll find 99% of the French fans rioting these days are of African descent. They might be technically French, but you get the gist of my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Russia were poor but England's high pressure game contributed greatly to this. I see Lallana getting a bit of stick on here. He was quality in the first half and should have scored. He faded in the second as he ran himself into the ground.

Sterling was just pish.

I feel sorry for any innocents caught up in the carry-on before and after the game. I know plenty of lads from work and the soccer club over here that were at it and they would be as far from yobish hooligans as I could imagine.

EDIT: Also, looking at that video above, those English lads don't really do a lot to help themselves. It looks like if they didn't react to the "ultras", that would have ended before it started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

How could Sterling play in the next game? He's awful. Poor touch, runs into dead ends, gives the ball away, can't cross etc. Yes he has speed and some nice turns at times, but not a breeze of a football brain between his ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

Just passing by and seen your post das riech,you have turned me away from the forum..

• Advertisement

And those homosexuals won only ONE world cup...

And two world wars...do daaa do daaa

You need more than speed to make you a footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I simply mean that you'll find 99% of the French fans rioting these days are of African descent. They might be technically French, but you get the gist of my point.

I don't. What is your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

English football fans are scum, thugs, should be caged and banned, hate seeing them at these tournaments...

The majority come with the mindset of sh**ing on someone else's bed.

That being said while it's not inexcusable, it's was pretty harmless (to the locals) until ultras from Russia and Marseille got involved.

This wont be the end of it. It will be hell on earth when Poland and Ukraine come to town.

It's a pity because the football itself has been very enjoyable so far.

But you can convince yourself it's all rational and there is no fundamental tension between those positions.

And I can laugh at it.

what? The rational aspect behind the debate is the fact that the topic of conversation involves English fans. So naturally the odd comment will be directed/concerned with.......................English fans. French locals, Russian hooligans and other nationalities are being targeted also. Its a simple equation! And it has nothing to do with what club you support.

It is pretty bloody obvious that 95% of soccer fans in Ireland support an English club for the football associated reasons. It emanates from generations following them due to the more professionalism of the league system and the players it attracts and the fact that almost all of our international players careers start and end there. Most adopt their club at 5 or 6 so their knowledge of hooliganism, 1916, Oliver Cromwell and the likes is not exactly huge.... .

I just hate the "why do you support English clubs and you are from Ireland" taking the moral ground bsh1t! Its has no application AT ALL here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Russia 2018 should be very enjoyable.

Might give that a miss myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Just passing by and seen your post das riech,you have turned me away from the forum..

He doesn't represent the majority here.

No need for that name calling.

Disgusting post.

doubt we will see that poster around for a while!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Ill just leave this here. Believe what you like.

I prefer facts from people who are there instead of sensationalist nonsense.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/euro-2016/video-owner-of-irish-bar-at-the-centre-of-marseilles-violence-involving-english-fans-speaks-34789218.html
    What are you on about? No one is doubting that the Russians or French have been acting the maggot. It's deplorable and not one person has condoned it. However, yourself and others seem that English fans are whiter than white in all this.

• Advertisement

My point is that they aren't French, irrespective of passport held. They don't consider themselves French. Same as those French isis bombers. Maybe born in France but in their mind they aren't. They see France as an enemy. If you were French in your heart you wouldn't murder your own people.

Try to find a white face among all the French ultras. You will struggle.

You need more than speed to make you a footballer.

I agree, but it worked for a lot of Dutch playersin the 70s...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2509427/Dutch-footballers-took-speed-pills-games-1970s-according-Voetbal-Mysteries.html

ush wrote: »

You think were a person comes from is decided by their ethnicity, rather than where they're born or their citizenship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Aye....that's the same video that was doing the rounds yesterday, all it portrays is a bunch of scumbags of various nationality.
    You can't see what happens off camera or make out the gesturing from both sides, but for some reason it's highlighted as showing unprovoked agitating despite you clearly seeing chairs being swung in from the seated crowd, as well bottles from the other lot. :confused:

All scum, all should be locked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

The Czech Republic is in central Europe.

Attacking women and children? Any links/ evidence that Czechs are attacking women and children?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

English fans are whiter than white...
    das riite

• Advertisement

Debil wrote: »
    The Czech Republic is in central Europe.

Attacking women and children? Any links evidence that Czechs are attacking women and children?

Where does his post say Czechs are attacking women and children? It doesn't, you're getting indignant about either something you've misread or a strawman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

Where does his post say Czechs are attacking women and children? It doesn't, you're getting indignant about either something you've misread or a strawman.

He seems to understand the CR is in Eastern Europe. He then claims Eastern Europeans are attacking women and children. I think I'm allowed ask for clarification.

My point is that they aren't French, irrespective of passport held. They don't consider themselves French. Same as those French isis bombers. Maybe born in France but in their mind they aren't. They see France as an enemy. If you were French in your heart you wouldn't murder your own people.

Try to find a white face among all the French ultras. You will struggle.

Your logic is faulty.

Which is it? They're not French because they don't consider themselves French (very sweeping generalisation on your part).

So they're not French because because they don't consider themselves French, in which case you've dismissed those who consider themselves French despite heritage elsewhere.

Or they're not French because they're "99%" from Africa, regardless of their citizenship.

So in summary:

Most England fans are genuine, they have a small minority looking for trouble.

Most French fans are genuine, they have a small minority looking for trouble.

Most Russian fans are genuine, they have a small minority looking for trouble.

Most football fans are genuine, they have a small minority looking for trouble. And these ones aren't really fans at all, just scum.

McDermotX wrote: »
    Aye....that's the same video that was doing the rounds yesterday, all it portrays is a bunch of scumbags of various nationality.
    You can't see what happens off camera or make out the gesturing from both sides, but for some reason it's highlighted as showing unprovoked agitating despite you clearly seeing chairs being swung in from the seated crowd, as well bottles from the other lot. :confused:

All scum, all should be locked up.

Youre grasping at straws. The english fans were just drinking and then the Marseille Ultras turned up and started kicking off.
    Yes the english fans chucked back some chairs, but i ask what would you do if you were sat having a beer and people started to throw glass bottles and chairs at you? Laugh it off as banter?

• Advertisement
Advertisement