Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 England V Russia on and off the pitch ITV/TV3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    I was over in Poland after the Spain game when 2 pubs were invaded by Polish Ultras. All the Irish just moved on.

Nice bit of victim blaming there. All the innocents attacked were obviously asking for it, should have just walked away from a sucker punch in the street. And what exactly do you define as an invasion? Were chairs being flung and punches thrown? Because it's pretty ****ing tough to walk away from a big group of lads who want to beat you up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

He was still remembering Heysel a year later I think.

Yeah I presumed that. I just like pointing out when idiotic posts have basic facts wrong.

Nice bit of victim blaming there. All the innocents attacked were obviously asking for it, should have just walked away from a sucker punch in the street. And what exactly do you define as an invasion? Were chairs being flung and punches thrown? Because it's pretty ****ing tough to walk away from a big group of lads who want to beat you up.

Strawman.

Never said any of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

How come there is little to no trouble at high profile games in England from these fans but when they leave the country all hell breaks out. Is it the police, was there trouble at euro 96.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

niallo27 wrote: »
    How come there is little to no trouble at high profile games in England from these fans but when they leave the country all hell breaks out. Is it the police, was there trouble at euro 96.

There hasn't been any widespread trouble with England fans for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

A poster suggested that these people were not necessarily "French" due to their ethnicity, another poster suggested that it was a statement that had a racial undertone.

I am suggesting that the race or ethnic make up of the trouble makers cannot be simply dismissed, in a city such as Marseille race is a major issue.
    The only way their race would be in any way relevant is if race was a motivator in the attacks. Which doesn't seem to be the case. Marseille struggling with racial issues has nothing to do with what happened, or at least we have no evidence that it does. The two are mutually exclusive.

Bringing race into it is an odd thing in this case. Simply saying French fans is enough. The of North African descent addendum is needless

They can get away with it very easily. Just seen there only 15 arrests from all the trouble so far. Laughable

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Just passing by and seen your post das riech,you have turned me away from the forum..

Das Reich has been banned for his post, can everyone not reply to him any further, thanks.

I urge new posters, especially, to look at the charter of this forum before posting. It can be found here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056320446

Being unaware of it or it being different is not an excuse. For everyone, please do not post further on the ethnicity of anyone involved around the match last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Strawman.

Never said any of that

Ok, well then how did all the Irish walk away from these invaded pubs? And how can the English, or any other fans replicate this behaviour? You're implying that the English can just walk away, a lot of times this simply isn't possible and that doesn't mean they always deserve part of the blame. Nobody is going to stand there defenceless.

There hasn't been any widespread trouble with England fans for years.

Well that's kinda my point. I think the England fans will never be able to shake their bad name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I was in central London the day they played Switzerland and after the game finished 1-1 some Swiss bank (or some financial office with a Swiss flag on it) got thrashed. Only about 20-30 lads on the rampage and but I'm sure it does happen although on a much smaller scale.

It was kind of funny in a sad way that they took out their anger on a building because it had the flag of the team they were playing on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

In regard to Russia's punishment, inthe last Euros they got hit with a 100k fine and were given a suspended 6 point deduction. Conveniently the suspension ended at the end of Euro 2016 qualifying period.

Strawman.

Never said any of that

There is a smell of that off a lot of posts though. No smoke without fire, it's always the English. It's looking more and more likely that the English are reacting rather than instigating.

The funniest thing is that the English authorities actually give a **** and will react. The Russian sports minister has already brushed off the incidents as though they are nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Well that's kinda my point. I think the England fans will never be able to shake their bad name.

There is often sporadic trouble in towns up and down the country when they get knocked out of tournaments, but they'd be the same tools who'd be kicking off in town because someone spilled their pint.

They can get away with it very easily. Just seen there only 15 arrests from all the trouble so far. Laughable

You go to games. I have been going to liverpool utd for years now, Home and away. Never seen any major trouble just a few harmless fights. Why is that, the hatred is there.

You go to games. I have been going to liverpool utd for years now, Home and away. Never seen any major trouble just a few harmless fights. Why is that, the hatred is there.

Incredibly well policed in England it must be said

Games on 12pm, away fans bussed in from remote locations/car parks.

not like local derbies at 8pm like Villa/Birmingham and Utd v Liverpool (Europa League), West Ham v Utd, West Ham v Millwall in the league cup..

• What's more concerning is that these horrible gangs are on the way to Lille next...
    I'm near certain Russia and England are playing there soon and we are playing Italy after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

With the English I feel the fighting is less to do with football and more this 'boys on tour' mentality you always here about and see in the likes of Magaluf. Tourist locations seem to hate taking groups of English lads because in that regard they are considered troublemakers. Put a massive amount of that on the streets of Marseille and something's bound to happen. The incidents inside the stadium don't look like the fault of the English but for a lot of the stuff on the streets beforehand, they are at least in part at fault.

dfx- wrote: »
    Games on 12pm, away fans bussed in from remote locations/car parks.

not like local derbies at 8pm like Villa/Birmingham and Utd v Liverpool (Europa League), West Ham v Utd, West Ham v Millwall in the league cup..

No trouble at the Europa league games either I don't think. If utd win, liverpool fans are not held back after game. Everyone flows out together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Superhorse wrote: »
    Nonsense. Russia is a fantastic country. Have you ever been there or is this wealth of anti Russian bias all formed from western media?

Russia should not have been awarded the WC simply on the basis of their treatment of homosexuals.

I just do not think it is fair on the French to be calling these guys French. Its like seeing a Riot on the Falls Road and saying "Dem Britz are at it again"

You haven't a ****ing clue if they identify as French or not. You have no idea about their motivations. For all you know, they could wake up every morning, munch a baguette with brie and and onions on it whilst listening to La Marseillaise on repeat. The only indicator that you have is their skin colour.

Still no breakdown on Russian motivation and ethnicity within hooligan groups. Afterwards we can go through the English makeup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Aren't half the French national team of North African decsent? They're still French.

Posts continuing the discussion/blame on ethnicity have been deleted. As I said previously, do not post on it further. Further posts along the same lines will be carded/deleted and the thread may be locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Russia should not have been awarded the WC simply on the basis of their treatment of homosexuals.

Russia won the ballot fair and square. There was no bias, underhand messing, political voting or ignorance of issues that may evolve from their holding of the event...........don't be so blatter, sorry I mean bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭whatever_

With the English I feel the fighting is less to do with football and more this 'boys on tour' mentality you always here about and see in the likes of Magaluf. Tourist locations seem to hate taking groups of English lads because in that regard they are considered troublemakers. Put a massive amount of that on the streets of Marseille and something's bound to happen. The incidents inside the stadium don't look like the fault of the English but for a lot of the stuff on the streets beforehand, they are at least in part at fault.

Agreed.

I was there in '98 and it is very difficulty to avoid trouble in Marseilles. The misreporting of the violence in '98 has contributed to the reputation of the English fans in that city which has exacerbated the problem. Too the hooligans, it was a triumph for England - the reality was, most of us were hounded out of Marseille by the locals. Having said that, too many of them are congregating in large numbers in the obvious places, drinking too much and singing embarrassing songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Looks like the English are going to be a lot quieter for the rest of the tournament...

WarZ wrote: »
    Looks like the English are going to be a lot quieter for the rest of the tournament...

Huh?

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

WarZ wrote: »

Hope so , then the real English fans can enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

A lot don't really want to shake it though. What is up with standing around outside an Irish pub singing no surrender to the IRA. Are a decade out of date and still hankering after the 1980s. I would imagine thatbthere are only a tiny minority of football hooligans and the rest just join in with beer and dehydration and want to come across as hard men. Problem is they have run into tough nuts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

No surrender to the IRA is ****ing hilarious imo, singing songs isn't the reason they are getting attacked I doubt Karim, Samir, Vinz and Ahmed give a **** or know about the IRA.

Mec27 wrote: »
    No surrender to the IRA is ****ing hilarious imo, singing songs isn't the reason they are getting attacked I doubt Karim, Samir, Vinz and Ahmed give a **** or know about the IRA.

No its not "that funny at all", its an intentionally provocative political song chanted mainly by eegits that haven't a clue what exactly the IRA stand/stood for or why they are singing it!

(Oh, i'm not by any means giving my thoughts on personal political leanings, I amn't over learned compared to others in the area but I dont go around chanting sh1t like that to attract trouble!)

I agree, French nationals dont give two cents about it and I wont comment on the fact that the names you chose are suspiciously connected by regional diaspora!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The anti German and French chants and the blow up spitfires are equally embarrassing. Drunken morons behaving like children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

https://twitter.com/RobHarris/status/741999067467747328

Good....though, if you're going to pull out your gun, you got to be prepared to shoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Can't believe that Vardy never seen the pitch last night. It was tailored made for him in the last 25 minutes, and then especially after England scored.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Watched the itv analysis on utube, really hesitant to say anything negative at all, thought Dixon would be more realistic.

They were pretty good though, its not like England of Lampard and Gerrard where they were on paper legit contenders, they are more dark horses this time. They are a much more dynamic and atlethic team than previous England teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I see the English media have made no mention of the fact that the English fans booed throughout the whole of the Russian National Anthem. And it wasn't just a minority either. That's a great way to rile up the Russians before the game's even started. I'm not in the slightest bit defending the moronic Russian idiots that caused trouble.

sligeach wrote: »
    I see the English media have made no mention of the fact that the English fans booed throughout the whole of the Russian National Anthem. And it wasn't just a minority either. That's a great way to rile up the Russians before the game's even started. I'm not in the slightest bit defending the moronic Russian idiots that caused trouble.

Their anthem should be booed, good on the English.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Can't believe that Vardy never seen the pitch last night. It was tailored made for him in the last 25 minutes, and then especially after England scored.

This is a hooliganism thread. Please don't mention the match......

The game was teed up for Wilshire/Milner/Vardy on for Sturridge, Rooney and Kane. Tie up the midfield and pass about, let Russia try to press a bit and then hit them with Vardy's speed.

They really dont have any trustworthy defensive midfielders apart from Dier in the squad, makes the decision not to bring Drinkwater all the more silly. Even Carrick would be a healthy addition to the squad now, especially with all the forwards in the squad.

English hype put Woy in a bad position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

sligeach wrote: »

The English always boo the opposing national anthem, it's the norm for them. That wouldn't condone what the Russians did (and i know you're not condoning it yourself) and it wouldn't have had made a difference. The Russians were always gonna charge the English fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

CksyJhSXIAEqsBz.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Huh?

Why?

They went looking for trouble in the days leading up to the match and then eventually they found it last night and somehow I don't think they liked what they found/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The game was teed up for Wilshire/Milner/Vardy on for Sturridge, Rooney and Kane. Tie up the midfield and pass about, let Russia try to press a bit and then hit them with Vardy's speed.

Do you mean Sterling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Mec27 wrote: »
    Their anthem should be booed, good on the English.

I'm not sure it's the best way to take a stand. Least of all when there are gangs of nutcases running about trying to **** up your countrymen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I see UEFA is threatening Russia and England with expulsion if there is further violence from their fans.

I see UEFA is threatening Russia and England with expulsion if there is further violence from their fans.

Good.

Although I'd be surprised if they did

Kirby wrote: »
    Do you mean Sterling?

No, I mean Sturridge..........! ;) He was so bad he didn't even get a mention in commentary!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Is Barry McQuigan from Clones, Co.Monaghan? As BBC are all over saying he's from Northern Ireland?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is Barry McQuigan from Clones, Co.Monaghan? As BBC are all over saying he's from Northern Ireland?

He is always affiliated with Norrrrrdddinnnnnn Ireland. He represented them a few times, had most of his bouts there, he portrayed himself as a complete neutral and s widely credited with helping to bring a degree of unity to Northern Ireland through his career in the 80s.

His career is as much remembered for his services to bringing some peace to the North as it is his his boxing and he is a hero up there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement