Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 England V Russia on and off the pitch ITV/TV3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is Barry McQuigan from Clones, Co.Monaghan? As BBC are all over saying he's from Northern Ireland?

Born in Clones, lived in NI for a long time. He boxed for both Northern Ireland and Ireland, and is a dual citizen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I see UEFA is threatening Russia and England with expulsion if there is further violence from their fans.

so just the one more chance then!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

He is always affiliated with Norrrrrdddinnnnnn Ireland. He represented them a few times, had most of his bouts there, he portrayed himself as a complete neutral and s widely credited with helping to bring a degree of unity to Northern Ireland through his career in the 80s.

His career is as much remembered for his services to bringing some peace to the North as it is his his boxing and he is a hero up there.

He isint even a hero in clones although he did get a nice park last year. Most people thought he was cringe inducing .... "Leave the fighting to me boys"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Clashes between German and Ukraine fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

I see UEFA is threatening Russia and England with expulsion if there is further violence from their fans.

UEFA bottling it. They both should be turfed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Clashes between German and Ukraine fans.

It's been a terrible tournament for crowd trouble so far and it is going to continue, sadly. Germany and Poland later this week is a dead cert for trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

UEFA wouldn't dare disqualify Gazprom Russia.

WarZ wrote: »
    They went looking for trouble in the days leading up to the match and then eventually they found it last night and somehow I don't think they liked what they found/

"They went looking for trouble".

You make it sounds like there was some collective plan. And they'll be quiet now because they were disciplined, as if Russian fans were in the business of laying down the law.

No one likes finding an opposition replete with neo nazis wielding iron bars, but I'm sure England will turn up in tens of thousands for the next match. They will go on the tear. A few will be in some aggro or other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

An excellent write up of the last 3 days with England fans/hooligans and the trouble.

http://www.espnfc.com/european-championship/74/blog/post/2891011/euro-2016-fan-clashes-at-england-vs-russia-match-troubling-sign

Well-balanced imo and certainly doesn't look to make out England have no blame, because it's obvious they do have some responsibility for what's gone on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

An excellent write up of the last 3 days with England fans/hooligans and the trouble.

http://www.espnfc.com/european-championship/74/blog/post/2891011/euro-2016-fan-clashes-at-england-vs-russia-match-troubling-sign

Well-balanced imo and certainly doesn't look to make out England have no blame, because it's obvious they do have some responsibility for what's gone on.

Someone pointed out how things are kicking off between germany and ukraine and yet no one talks about it but if its england, we make the front page of every newspaper around the world labels hooligans

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

German TV reporting hundreds of Germans fighting Ukrainians in Lille.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Good, it'll help nail the lie that this somewhat all Englands fault.

Someone pointed out how things are kicking off between germany and ukraine and yet no one talks about it but if its england, we make the front page of every newspaper around the world labels hooligans

That's why I thought that article was good, put a different perspectives on it. Stan Collymore had numerous periscope vids on his twitter feed too which wen against the narrative it's all England fans fault. England fans not blameless but way more going on this tournament.

I'll certainly be putting stuffed on the mega thread when I see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

France spending a fortune on major security to keep ISIS out when the threat is already there. You've all the numpty n0bheads from European countries beating the $h1t out of each other and add in some of the locals to the mix. ISIS must be looking at this and thinking we don't need to do anything.

And that person who got in with a flare gun last night? I know you can't catch everyone carrying illegal things into the stadium. But what if that had been some looney tune with a real gun?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Clearly England fans dressed up as Germans.

In fairness Bild newspaper not holding back. Calling the German fans hooligans and that they deliberately attacked Ukrainian fans unprovoked.

You think fan violence is good? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

namloc1980 wrote: »

Have they done anything (Bar the guy in the front left giving what looks like a nazi salute) or just posed for a photo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

In fairness Bild newspaper not holding back. Calling the German fans hooligans and that they deliberately attacked Ukrainian fans unprovoked.

Seen a video alright that backs it up.

Unlike the English papers who blamed everything on big bad Russia.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Have they done anything (Bar the guy in the front left giving what looks like a nazi salute) or just posed for a photo

Yeah they are the same gang who attacked Ukrainian fans according to Bild and they're quoting reliable police and other sources. So yes, yes they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Yeah they are the same gang who attacked Ukrainian fans according to Bild and they're quoting reliable police and other sources. So yes, yes they did.

Ah didn't realise that. Just thought it was some photo they pulled down to include with an article of the fighting.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Ah didn't realise that. Just thought it was some photo they pulled down to include with an article of the fighting.

Nope is from today in Lille. Apparently it's the German Reich War flag used during WW1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Superhorse wrote: »
    Unlike the English papers who blamed everything on big bad Russia.

What English papers were you reading? Most acknowledged the poor behavior of a minority of England fans but they also highlighted the fact that local hooligans and Russian fans played a significant role in the trouble. The local hooligans tweeted that they plan on attacking fans who visit their city during the tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I just checked the New York Times and it's not on the front page of that newspaper.

German journalists on twitter saying there is hardly any police in Lille this afternoon. Basically letting the German and Ukrainian fans at it unheeded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You think fan violence is good? :confused:

No of course not, just making a satirical point.

The French method of policing is famously reactive, whereas in England its cops are pro-active. Stop it before it happens. The authorities are also clearly so fixated on Islamic terrorism they've not really bothered with anything else. I'd say the local ordinary burglars and pick pockets are making hay right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Advertisement

No chairs or pint glasses there. Straight into the action by the looks of it.

French police all over it. Not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

Debil wrote: »

He makes sense, and he's actually there.

No of course not, just making a satirical point.

The French method of policing is famously reactive, whereas in England its cops are pro-active. Stop it before it happens. The authorities are also clearly so fixated on Islamic terrorism they've not really bothered with anything else. I'd say the local ordinary burglars and pick pockets are making hay right now.

I'd rather they focused on the Islamics than the hooligans tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

Do all these smug Ireland fans taking the moral high ground over the English realise how pathetic they'll look come September when they travel to England, sit side by side with English fans in English staduims in English cities following English teams or sit on barstools using the words 'we' and 'us' to describe English clubs they have no connection with.

While their local League of Ireland club struggles to survive with no gates.

Fine, support English teams if you wish but to criticise the English fans and call them all thugs etc in June and then follow their clubs a few weeks later is a bit much.

Bet none of the Irish fans taking the moral high ground will be as quick to air their views on England when their sitting side by side with the same people their calling thugs.

Nothing wore than smugness and Irish football fans have it in abundance

He makes sense, and he's actually there.

Collymore is a woman beater. I wouldn't take anything he says seriously.

Your prerogative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd take him seriously on his guide to dogging sites.

trapp wrote: »
    Do all these smug Ireland fans taking the moral high ground over the English realise how pathetic they'll look come September when they travel to England, sit side by side with English fans in English staduims in English cities following English teams or sit on barstools using the words 'we' and 'us' to describe English clubs they have no connection with.

Fine, support English teams if you wish but to criticise the English fans and call them all thugs etc in June and then follow their clubs a few weeks later is a bit much.

Bet none of the Irish fans taking the moral high ground will be as quick to air their views on England when their sitting side by side with the same people their calling thugs.

It is just bizarre. I said it here earlier. When English fans support their club, it's all "we" and "us" from Irish fans with the same allegiance. Which is fine, I get it, it's shorthand. But please, less of the criticism when the same fans do the same thing supporting their national side.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

I think in your rush to have a dig you failed to take into account that most of the louts in England jerseys in Marseille over the past few days are never anywhere near Premier League stadiums. There is a thing for louts to follow England innit, Engerland is an outlet for their nationalistic prejudices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Could advise Ireland for tomorrow though as he has experience in beating Swedes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Very well put. One of the weird things about Irish people following English clubs in my opinion. The very supporters they are mocking are supporters from their own clubs!

Looks like there's not much trouble from the English today, I'd say they're keeping their heads down with the Russians about. Something tells me the french police weren't overly enthusiastic about coming to the English aid having been subjected to such awful treatment by sections of the English supporters in the days previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

re comments above

smugness can be projected at all the major sports in Ireland

what is it about gaa club matches that condones attacking referees and player assaults?...

what is it about rugby players and eye gouging...?

what is it about many league of Ireland clubs that have wanna be
    stone island wearing English hooligan imitators?

irish soccer fans do behave abroad, bar some minority soft sectarian singing in pubs..
    soccer is still the biggest sport when it comes to tournaments, which smug official Ireland don't like..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Where are the damn police? Seriously concering underpolicing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The pubs won't be happy with the booze ban.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

Peist2007 wrote: »
    I think in your rush to have a dig you failed to take into account that most of the louts in England jerseys in Marseille over the past few days are never anywhere near Premier League stadiums. There is a thing for louts to follow England innit, Engerland is an outlet for their nationalistic prejudices

Bull****.

English people from all clubs follow the national team.

English fans didn't do themselves any credit but the Irish fans need to lose the smugness and get off the moral high ground.

Calling people thugs and louts and then following their clubs is pathetic.

If people hate England so much how come Man City and Man Utd are 'us' and 'we' for 9 months every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Where are the damn police? Seriously concering underpolicing.

Stopping everyone getting into the stadiums with flares etc...Oh wait there not doing that either..

Probably off drinking and having the craic with the Irish & Swedish fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Stopping everyone getting into the stadiums with flares etc...Oh wait there not doing that either..

Probably off drinking and having the craic with the Irish & Swedish fans.

Quite hillarious that they are trying to stop terrorism when ISIS are probably sitting in front of the telly watching them attack themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Many people including myself have pointed out the difference in fan behavior at premiership games. However i think your issues are deeper and you are just waiting to have a go at Irish people who like english football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Bull****.

English people from all clubs follow the national team.

English fans didn't do themselves any credit but the Irish fans need to lose the smugness and get off the moral high ground.

Calling people thugs and louts and then following their clubs is pathetic.

If people hate England so much how come Man City and Man Utd are 'us' and 'we' for 9 months every year.

Nonsensical strawman. Whole swathes of EPL fans wouldn't go within a donkey's roar of the England fiasco, pretty much because of all the nonsense we've seen the last few days.

Which is not to say that club fans over there are angels either. Just like there are no angels involved in rucks before and after Shams v Bohs. There was nothing angelic about the Cork City fans who sang "I'd rather be a **** than a Dub" when I was at Turners Cross on a number of occasions in the later '90's. Heard more than a few non-angels giving Jason Sherlock their views on his ethnic background, too.

So spare us the sanctimonious rot, like a good lad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement