Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 England V Russia on and off the pitch ITV/TV3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

corwill wrote: »
    Nonsensical strawman. Whole swathes of EPL fans wouldn't go within a donkey's roar of the England fiasco, pretty much because of all the nonsense we've seen the last few days.

Which is not to say that club fans over there are angels either. Just like there are no angels involved in rucks before and after Shams v Bohs. There was nothing angelic about the Cork City fans who sang "I'd rather be a **** than a Dub" when I was at Turners Cross on a number of occasions in the later '90's. Heard more than a few non-angels giving Jason Sherlock their views on his ethnic background, too.

So spare us the sanctimonious rot, like a good lad.
    +1

Been to dozens of Liverpool games now and given Liverpudians a good ribbing about the English national team on occasion. Everyone accepts it's only a small group of headbangers that are out to cause trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

trapp wrote: »
    Bull****.

English people from all clubs follow the national team.

English fans didn't do themselves any credit but the Irish fans need to lose the smugness and get off the moral high ground.

Calling people thugs and louts and then following their clubs is pathetic.

If people hate England so much how come Man City and Man Utd are 'us' and 'we' for 9 months every year.

I think you will find over 90% of utd fans are utd fans every day of the year, i might not agree with most of them but you can not question their loyalty to utd.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jaysisjames

Couple of things to point out.
    A large majority of utd fans hate the England national team.
    The English hooligans are by and large from small teams outside the top 2 English divisions. They don't get the chance to go to Europe with their club sides so events like this are a Mecca for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

niallo27 wrote: »
    Many people including myself have pointed out the difference in fan behavior at premiership games. However i think your issues are deeper and you are just waiting to have a go at Irish people who like english football.

Nothing wrong with liking English football.

It's the whole smugness and 'aren't we great compared to the English' attitude that grates me.

Nothing likeable about smugness and when the same people follow English clubs and would never set foot inside a LOI ground it comes across as pathetic.

Only a minority of Ireland fans with this attitude mind, just like it's only a minority of English fans involved in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It's the whole smugness and 'aren't we great compared to the English' attitude that grates me.

Nothing likeable about smugness and when the same people follow English clubs and would never set foot inside a LOI ground it comes across as pathetic.

Only a minority of Ireland fans with this attitude mind, just like it's only a minority of English fans involved in trouble.

Lot of smugness on facebook and **** i will agree with you but most of these people know **** all about football. If you read this thread you will see a lot of people are actually standing up for the english.

I'd be surprised if the hardcore ManU fans - and I don't mean day trippers to OT but those who have season tickets, travel to away games etc. - "hate the England national team".

Do all these smug Ireland fans taking the moral high ground over the English realise how pathetic they'll look come September when they travel to England, sit side by side with English fans in English staduims in English cities following English teams or sit on barstools using the words 'we' and 'us' to describe English clubs they have no connection with.

While their local League of Ireland club struggles to survive with no gates.

Fine, support English teams if you wish but to criticise the English fans and call them all thugs etc in June and then follow their clubs a few weeks later is a bit much.

Bet none of the Irish fans taking the moral high ground will be as quick to air their views on England when their sitting side by side with the same people their calling thugs.

Nothing wore than smugness and Irish football fans have it in abundance

What an awful post.

What has condemning hooligans got to do with watching your club play.

As for the LOI , how do you know people who go to games in England don't go to games here too? They are not mutually exclusive. And if they don't that's their business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

I'm really confused.

So Irish people aren't allowed give out about English hooligans if they follow a team in England?

What sort of logic is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Do all these smug Ireland fans taking the moral high ground over the English realise how pathetic they'll look come September when they travel to England, sit side by side with English fans in English staduims in English cities following English teams or sit on barstools using the words 'we' and 'us' to describe English clubs they have no connection with.

Fine, support English teams if you wish but to criticise the English fans and call them all thugs etc in June and then follow their clubs a few weeks later is a bit much.

Bet none of the Irish fans taking the moral high ground will be as quick to air their views on England when their sitting side by side with the same people their calling thugs.

well said. plenty irish fans here all supporting english teams LMAO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

This thread is getting utterly weird.

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »

Lot of smugness on facebook and **** i will agree with you but most of these people know **** all about football. If you read this thread you will see a lot of people are actually standing up for the english.
    Alot? i would say its 50/50 if not slightly bias towards hating the english.

Dont hear anyone moan about the germans and Ukranians though. weird right

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭whatever_

The English hooligans are by and large from small teams outside the top 2 English divisions. They don't get the chance to go to Europe with their club sides so events like this are a Mecca for them.

No, that is not true. The majority of Utd fans follow the England team, and I see them in large numbers at both home and away games. Old Trafford is a preferred venue for England matches away from Wembley for that very reason. Certainly in Ferguson's time, there seemed to be a deal struck between him and the England manager whereby any English player that he picked for his first team also got to play for England. The press commented on this apparently "special relationship" on numerous occasions. I'm not sure whether this still holds ...

You seem to be overly sensitive about any criticism of some English fans.

There is no conflict of interest or anything ironic, funny, humorous etc about Irish people supporting English teams and condemning the violence that some of the English supporters were involved in. It's utterly irrelevant.

adox wrote: »

Yep, when the barstoolers stuff is rolled out it's entering the twilight zone

JustTheOne wrote: »
    I'm really confused.

So Irish people aren't allowed give out about English hooligans if they follow a team in England?

The same people with their smug 'aren't we great compared to the English thugs' attitude will all be following English football as if it's their own in a few months time.

If the Brits are all thugs and you hate English football so much why try and make their league and their teams your own.

How can people adopt such a smug superior attitude to English football and then have the cheek to take on English clubs as their own?

There is no conflict of interest or anything ironic, funny, humorous etc about Irish people supporting English teams and condemning the violence that some of the English supporters were involved in. It's utterly irrelevant.
    No. Some people here seem to slag off the english as if they are prejudice against all who is english bar the english clubs.

Just look at other events that have occurred through hooligans from other countries and no one bats an eye lid. Why? simply because some here absolutely hate England for whatever bizare reason.

These same people would find an excuse to blame england for the rest of the incidents that have happened so far in this tournament

JustTheOne wrote: »
    I'm really confused.

The same people with their smug 'aren't we great compared to the English thugs' attitude will all be following English football as if it's their own in a few months time.

If the Brits are all thugs and you hate English football so much why try and make their league and their teams your own.

How can people adopt such a smug superior attitude to English football and then have the cheek to take on English clubs as their own?
    Yup.

Its like me supporting a russian club who some are known to be racist. No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

No. Some people here seem to slag off the english as if they are prejudice against all who is english bar the english clubs.

Just look at other events that have occurred through hooligans from other countries and no one bats an eye lid. Why? simply because some here absolutely hate England for whatever bizare reason.

These same people would find an excuse to blame england for the rest of the incidents that have happened so far in this tournament

There are definitely those here that revel in anything to beat the English with (metaphorically of course) but as has been said there are more, imo, who can see the wider picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

well said. plenty irish fans here all supporting english teams LMAO.

The teams aren't very English though. They're nearly all foreign owned and the squads are mostly foreigners, most people watching the games on tv are in foreign countries. Clubs like Liverpool or Man Utd could easily play all their home games in Ireland or Australia or China and no one would notice the difference, there may actually be a better atmosphere at the games. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Quite hillarious that they are trying to stop terrorism when ISIS are probably sitting in front of the telly watching them attack themselves.

I'm sure ISIS would approve of the alcohol ban anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭whatever_

... and you seem to be overly sensitive about people looking to stick to the facts and not trying to stereotype a nation based on the behaviour of a couple of hundred individuals. Eamon Dunphy thought it was worthwhile to mention on the Marian Finucane show this morning that he had heard that a few English fans had annoyed a table of Irish people in a restaurant in Marseille. Now that's what I call overly sensitive.

Korat wrote: »
    The teams aren't very English though. They're nearly all foreign owned and the squads are mostly foreigners, most people watching the games on tv are in foreign countries. Clubs like Liverpool or Man Utd could easily play all their home games in Ireland or Australia or China and no one would notice the difference, there may actually be a better atmosphere at the games. :)

No they couldn't.

Liverpool and Man Utd are great English clubs.

English clubs that Irish people take on as their own.

An uncomfortable truth for many to accept but Manchester United, Tottenham etc are all English clubs.

A lesson to all.

Clubs in England are English.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Bull****.

English people from all clubs follow the national team.

English fans didn't do themselves any credit but the Irish fans need to lose the smugness and get off the moral high ground.

Calling people thugs and louts and then following their clubs is pathetic.

If people hate England so much how come Man City and Man Utd are 'us' and 'we' for 9 months every year.

Nope you're incorrect. I never said english people from all clubs dont follow the national team. What i said was the trend amongst hooligans is that they dont particularly follow English teams, they are interested in England away trips. Unless you think everyone English person that travelled is involved in violence?

whatever_ wrote: »
    ... and you seem to be overly sensitive about people looking to stick to the facts and not trying to stereotype a nation based on the behaviour of a couple of hundred individuals. Eamon Dunphy thought it was worthwhile to mention on the Marian Finucane show this morning that he had heard that a few English fans had annoyed a table of Irish people in a restaurant in Marseille. Now that's what I call overly sensitive.

I have seen few if any posts here trying to stereo type a nation. Most have said it is a minority. Some people seem to be getting uppity over this.

I'm all for the facts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

You go on about league of Ireland fans.

Well there does be trouble at league of Ireland games so are the league of Ireland supporters wrong for still supporting their clubs?

Major championships seem to bring out the LOI heads. Was the same during last World Cup and definitely the case during Euro 2012.

*Throws away metaphorical Utd jersey on revelation team are English.

The shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    A lesson to all.

Clubs in England are English.

Hmmm I don't think Cardiff, Swansea & Wexham would agree ;)

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Major championships seem to bring out the LOI heads. Was the same during last World Cup and definitely the case during Euro 2012.

The soccer forum seems to have more of an After Hours vibe to it since is open season for the summer.

• Advertisement

Or Newport County

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

they in england then ...ok

The soccer forum seems to have more of an After Hours vibe to it since is open season for the summer.

I came home after Euro 2012and caught up on the threads while i was away and was shocked to hear i wasnt a real football fan. It was devastating and disturbing considering the amount of time i spend watching football. I am in a better place now though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

I was watching England vs Russia and I was so shocked when Russia scored that I let out a yell, which, unfortunately for me woke my dad. He ran down the stairs and picked up a set jumper cables which he used to beat me like a rented mule until I'm halfway unconscious on the floor. I spent the rest of the night in bed looking at twitter on my phone. I was shocked to see all this violence going on in the streets of France, it's really a crazy world we live in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

One thing for sure if this was an club game from an British league and it went this far of topic it would be locked very quickly.

Haha true.

Welsh great bunch of lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

whatever_ wrote: »
    No, that is not true. The majority of Utd fans follow the England team, and I see them in large numbers at both home and away games. Old Trafford is a preferred venue for England matches away from Wembley for that very reason. Certainly in Ferguson's time, there seemed to be a deal struck between him and the England manager whereby any English player that he picked for his first team also got to play for England. The press commented on this apparently "special relationship" on numerous occasions. I'm not sure whether this still holds ...

that post is lots of lol, no Old Trafford is the biggest stadium after Wembley hence why it was used.

Really how come Paul Scholes never got lots of caps them if all Man Utd englishs players were the start for England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

You and some others here seem to be confused. The English fans causing trouble over in France and embarrassing their country are thugs. They are not to be defended. It's not all English fans. But the ones who are causing havoc, they are thugs only out to cause trouble.

It is perfectly acceptable to hold that opinion whilst supporting English clubs. I would wager there are also English people living in England who support English clubs that are also of the opinion that the English fans in France causing trouble are thugs, so that train of thought would very much not be exclusive to Irish people.

Enjoying this tangent, as Irish fans of English clubs tie themselves up in knots trying to explain away why fans of England are not the same as English fans who follow the club they follow.

It's not an anti English club thing at all. I like Leeds Utd. I'm amused by the rush to criticise English supporters when they don their national jersey. English fans are one and the same as those who fill the seats when Leeds play, when ManU play, when Liverpool play. Let's drop the whole nonsense about embracing them when they have the same club affiliation but tut tutting when they travel to international tournaments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So am I no longer allowed to go to the Brandywell on a Friday night, get up early on Saturday and get a flight to Liverpool and be in Anfield for a game on Saturday / Sunday anymore ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Russians seemed to be all dressed in the same t-shirts here.

Have a look around Youtube for videos of Russian gangs fighting and it is a thing with them so each faction can identify each other.

So am I no longer allowed to go to the Brandywell on a Friday night, get up early on Saturday and get a fight to Liverpool and be in Anfield for a game on Saturday / Sunday anymore ?

You better change that spelling or a few will call you a hooligan;)

Went to the game in Marseille. The whole time there was just weird.

We travelled there from Nice on the day of the game. We were at the Port about 5 minutes before all hell broke loose there. We were planning to stop for a drink somewhere around there but there was fecking thousands of agitated looking people just milling about in the main square. Russians and English all seperate from each other and an unhealthy surplus of beer bottles. There might as well have been a big feck off sign up in the middle saying "trouble here soon"...yet the police were all just milling aboout up the road in their silly batman suits. No sign of them in the actual square (until they apparently turned up and joined in the trouble).

In fairness the atmosphere on the way to the stadium and in it was amazing. There was a bit of an edge but nothing too sinister...but then the security at the game was just baffling. We went to the Fanzone in Nice for the France game the previous day and it was like checking into an airport. There were metal detectors, police, barricades...at the stadium there were a bunch of what seemed to be college volunteers doing half arsed pat down searches. The guy who searched me got bored half way through and literally just said "what's in pocket" so I said "phone" and then he let me through. Although they did take my mate's hat and give it a massage for some reason.

Then in the stadium itself...we were in the section next to the Russian fans, and there was no real seperation at all. No police, no stewards...just a few rows of empty seats, which people then started sitting in anyway. It was all going fine until someone in the Russian end threw a flair that was just left to burn next to the pitch for ages for some reason. Some of the England fans tried to lighten the mood by chanting "what the fecking hell is that", then there was this massive fecking bang from somewhere in the Russian fans section again and it shocked everyone. Everything went quiet and you could tell people were on edge, and suddenly there were people getting hit and climbing the stairs to get away from the Russian section, and others throwing stuff or giving abuse. Then at the end of the game a group of somewhat terrifying looking Russians literally just charged over. It wasn't very many but some of them were big feck off blokes with tattoes and no shirts and they were hitting anyone within reach, so it created a panic. It was in the section just below us and spilling over, and we just kind of looked at it baffled for a bit then my mate went "I think we should leave now", which we did. The thing is the section they charged wasn't the England fan section. There were a lot of England fans there but we also had a lot of Russian and French fans around us, including people with their kids. I'm not sure what you prove by putting on MMA gear and rampage charging at people with their children. It certianly didn't teach any English hooligans a lesson.

Again no police in sight...they were all busy about 300 metres up the road from the stadium guarding some random road that had nothing to do with anything...and of course people coming out of the stadium were angry at what had happened and then giving the police abuse for standing there being useless.

Marseille is allso a **** of a place to get away from. The trains oout that night were cancelled, flights were near to impossible and it wasn't even possible in many instances to get a cab or metro back to anywhere, so there were just thousands of edgy people roaming the streets. It was embarassing from the French point of view. They wanted to host a football tournament yet turn their on venues into ****holes that it's impossible to get away from.

In fairness to the Englland fans they were excellent in the stadium and pretty much blameless...and even the Russians, a vast majority were moving up the stadium to get away from what was going on. We had a group behind us who were laughing and joking with the England fans. It was literally this small handful of maniacs, but it only takes a few maniacs to start a ppanic and then people are angry and on edge, and if there's no police or security people don't feel safe. It almost seemed like they wanted trouble rather than being there to try and prevent it. Not that this condones it, but police shhould be there to protect people like innocent families from getting picked off by random thugs...not there to stroll in during the fallout out casually tossing tear gas everywhere like they're feeding the ducks.

I wont be going back to Marseille anytime soon anyway. An absolutely horrible place, even if it looked pretty. On the plus side Nice was awesome and the Northern Ireland fans there were making for a great atmosphere.

From a poster on Redcafe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Really? The majority of United fans hate the England team and don't follow them?
    I would like to see where you got that made up statistic from.

WarZ wrote: »
    Really? The majority of United fans hate the England team and don't follow them?
    I would like to see where you got that made up statistic from.

A LARGE majority if you don't mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

zerks wrote: »

Have a look around Youtube for videos of Russian gangs fighting and it is a thing with them so each faction can identify each other.

That was vicious. No mercy given there at all.

WarZ wrote: »
    That was vicious. No mercy given there at all.

Good job it's summer footwear and not middle of winter boots/shoes etc because some of those shots to the head in this and other videos could mean brain damage or worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Absolute scum. That's absolutely shocking.

• Advertisement

Sickening sickening scumbags. Just human trash. To give a running kick to the head of a person who is lying prone on the ground. Sure he is an English fan giving it and deserves a few thumps...but not that. Disgusting vermin.

Advertisement