Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notified of 55% hike in rent 2 bed apt = 600 euro pm

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 alberttatlock

kceire wrote: »
    I feels prey for you OP. Even as a landlord is find this hard to stomach but ultimately it's the market rate for a city Centre apartment.

For €1100 you would get a house in some areas of the suburbs, or a bigger apartment maybe in Finglas or similar location.

I think you really need to think about location not to try keep your rent down.

Or, you could write back to them explaining that you are there so long, causing no trouble with rent up to date so effectively a good hassle free tennant and if you want to stay, try negotiate a figure between you.

I did contact agency Friday and offerEd to meet half way - €1450.They will speak to the receiver Monday. Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Pixie8

As long as there are people willing to pay these astronomical rent prices, the increases will continue. Dublin is becoming completely unaffordable for those who aren't high earners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 alberttatlock

ED E wrote: »
    NB: Napkin maths

Put it this way OP, if you're 55% below the market now (or more TBH, a 2bed in Tallaghtfornia is 1200 nevermind D1) then its safe to say on average you've been at least 40% under for the last two years. Thats €10,560 you've saved, more if you were below for longer than the mandatory 2yr review minimum.

D1 talbot St/ Gardiner st. Current lease only 2.5 years old. gangland killing, arson attacks on the homeless and junkie dead body finds are also u in the area.. Otherwise I could understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭regi3457

I moved from Dublin city (Ballsbridge) where I was being charged what the OP is being asked to pay (1700) for a really small one bedroom (converted to two bedroom) apartment. I wasn't having it so we moved out of Dublin because of that. I know many people don't have that option so it is an awful situation to be in. If you google "cost of living dublin" you do find that 1700 euro is the going rate for a 2 bed apartment in an "expensive" area. Whether this is fair or not or whether there is manipulation in the market for it to get to that to be so expensive is where it gets off topic but there is pretty much nothing you can do about it.

Another way of looking at this is not to say "rent is expensive" in Dublin but to say instead " I am underpaid" in Dublin. Maybe you should take the issue up with your employer? Tell them what your rent is and that you want a raise else find a better job.

Advertisement