Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this for an outdoor power source

Options
  • 11-06-2016 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

We have recently moved into a new house.

I have attached a photo of a cable coming out of the ground through some tubing.
    We already have an outdoor power supply and I can't find a spare switch in the house that could correspond to this one.
    In the front garden there is a Victorian style street lamp so I'm just wondering if this is for the same sort of thing at the back.
    A few other houses have it in their gardens but we haven't ventured out to approach the locals yet.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Impossible to say from just looking at a photo, but you guess sounds plausible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

What 2011 said.

If that's a 4" pipe then best guess is its a 1.5sq or 2.5sq SWA - make sense for lighting or maybe a shed but that is pure speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes it more than likely is for an outside light like you described. The cable looks like SWA cable which is used for going outside for a boiler,sheds and outside lights. It could be going back to the MCB board in your house if it is not at any switch.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

It could terminate in the switch nearest the closest external door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Hate to be that guy but best bet is get a REC to call and check it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Cheers, I think.ive found the switch, it's the only one in the house that doesn't turn on anything. I won't be touching it with a bargepole until the wife decides whether she wants something outdoors

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

hairyslug wrote: »
    Cheers, I think.ive found the switch, it's the only one in the house that doesn't turn on anything. I won't be touching it with a bargepole until the wife decides whether she wants something outdoors

It would be a good idea to get this investigated to ensure that the cable safe.
    It is possible that turning the light switch on makes an exposed conductor live.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

2011 wrote: »
    It would be a good idea to get this investigated to ensure that the cable safe.
    It is possible that turning the light switch on makes an exposed conductor live.

Or even when its off, if not wired correctly.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement