Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWDC 2016 Keynote (Monday June 13th @ 6pm)

Options
  • 11-06-2016 9:27pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Apple keynote on Monday at 6pm.

As usual iOS and OS X (which is being rebranded macOS) will be the focus. Apple Music is getting a redesign. Also rumours of iMessage for Android and Siri for Mac. With the iPhone 6ss/se in September apparently being a minor affair, Apple will probably be doubling down on OS features/enhancements.

Hardware announcements have been ruled out, which means the anticipated MBP redesign will probably have to wait until September or later.

Any hopes/predictions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

For iOS, love to finally see the option of hiding some of the built in apps and removing some non-essentials to the App Store, stocks, voice recorder etc.

Love to see a system wide cache management setting, huge issue especially with some social networking apps.

Hoping for some nice surprises as per usual.

Siri for the Mac seems definite too, it's now a part of every other OS from Apple. One feature I never use from Apple though, might have to try use it more as voice assistants seem to be a big focus lately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

DubDJ wrote: »
    Love to see a system wide cache management setting, huge issue especially with some social networking apps.

Like a button to do it manually? Most of the apps with this issue are misleading the OS about their cached data, so it wouldn't make any difference. If the OS doesn't know something is a cache it can't clear it. They could add a setting for clearing all app data except the app itself, but that would have unpredictable results depending on the app.

I think this is more an App Store issue. Apple need to start banning bloated apps with battery-drain issues. Facebook, Spotify, anyone guilty of it should be rejected from the store. But that won't happen.

Maybe support for devs to implement a seperate area for cached files or a setting in the app menu for users to clear the cache.

The problem mainly exists for social media apps. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. After a few months they'll eventually rack up huge file sizes (2-3GB) forcing me to uninstall and reinstall to claim back the space.

Some apps I've used have built in their own cache system (a third party Instagram app was one) and it worked well.

Either limit the cache for apps so after a certain size it starts replacing data or have some system for clearing it out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I dunno, I think a "clear cache" button would just result in more OCD user behaviour. Like clearing all the apps in multitasking view, which actually has a negative effect on battery life but good luck trying to explain that to anyone. Maybe Apple need to tweak how caching works, but nothing is going to solve the various problems with Facebook etc. Their apps are basically tools for delivering ads and collecting user data. Everything else is secondary.

Funny enough I'm an OCD type of person. I regularly clear apps from multitasking. Just out of habit, been doing it since the multitasking tray was first added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Clear cache for Apple Music, as I've discussed earlier, is essential. It's always taking up nearly 5gigs for space for me. If I wanted that much, I'd download it!

Funny enough I'm an OCD type of person. I regularly clear apps from multitasking. Just out of habit, been doing it since the multitasking tray was first added.

There's really no need. It's not even a placebo since it actually has a negative impact. It means the next time you launch that app (which could be in 5 minutes) it will have to load everything back into memory again, slowing down the app and draining more battery. I never kill an app unless it's acting up and I have to.

There's a reason the OS keeps apps in memory after you've closed them, it's more efficient. Also most of the apps in multitasking view aren't even in memory. It's just a list of recently opened apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

First one I won't be watching live as it clashes with the Ireland game. Although I'm not expecting much really given the maturity of both IOS and OSX ( sorry macOS)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

There's really no need. It's not even a placebo since it actually has a negative impact. It means the next time you launch that app (which could be in 5 minutes) it will have to load everything back into memory again, slowing down the app and draining more battery. I never kill an app unless it's acting up and I have to.

There's a reason the OS keeps apps in memory after you've closed them, it's more efficient. Also most of the apps in multitasking view aren't even in memory. It's just a list of recently opened apps.

The only app I close when I'm finished with it is Facebook. Is there still issues with fb and battery drain, phone usage monitoring?

tallpaul wrote: »
    First one I won't be watching live as it clashes with the Ireland game. Although I'm not expecting much really given the maturity of both IOS and OSX ( sorry macOS)
    Same here, been watching (or following liveblogs) since the 2010 WWDC and this will be the first I can't watch live. Have to catch up later on. E3 will also be running with the bigger announcements happening during WWDC. The Ireland game also on during so it's a feature filled Monday.

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    The only app I close when I'm finished with it is Facebook. Is there still issues with fb and battery drain, phone usage monitoring?

I don't use the Facebook app, but afaik yes, though not to the same extent as before.

I wonder if the Apple Music redesign will be part of iOS 10 or a separate update arriving sooner? I sort of assumed the former given that the service will be a year old at the end of the month, but knowing Apple we'll probably have to wait until September.

It annoys me how Apple continue to put all features/enhancements on the long finger. Whatever about software, but services should be receiving a constant stream of enhancements, not just bug fixes. It's one thing I like about Google services. Saving all the new stuff for the next keynote like Apple does makes no sense. Apple's drive-by approach to software updates doesn't work with services. I'm not sure it even works with software anymore.

It's on now. Stream on Apple.com.

Watch stuff.

Single sign-on for Apple TV - not that that's really a problem for us in Ireland.

It's official: OS X is now macOS.

macOS Sierra with Siri for Mac. Public beta in July, final release in Autumn. Most 2010 Macs or later. My 2009 MBP is now officially obsolete. :(

iOS 10 - looking good. Control centre and Notification Centre have been redesigned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

With the iPhone 6ss/se in September apparently being a minor affair

So no 7 yet?

smash wrote: »
    So no 7 yet?

They might call it the 7, but the real 7/8 is apparently coming next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

nice improvements to watchos..badly needed

Hmmm not sure about the Apple Music redesign. Larger text, more visible though which is an improvement.

Apple: We're coming for you, Snapchat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

I like the changes made to messages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

That's that then?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

In fairness , ios is pretty mature by now , I'd be amazed if they came up with a game changer on it for existing hardware.Interesting that ipad2 finally fell from the upgrade path, loads of them around.

Siri for macos looks like it could be interesting , but not in a "rush out and buy a mac" kind of way.
    I'm very interested in seeing their reply for Amazon's echo device though...

Pretty underwhelming group of announcements for a WWDC. Nothing on previous years, more iteration than anything. And looks like more stock apps that can't be removed.

The lock screen redesign looks ok, but between the control centre and Apple Music changes I think it's a step back. Rearranging some of the menus is a good idea but the UI is a downgrade imo.

I normally like WWDC as it gives a lot of features for free to users but the announcements today don't seem all that huge.

Hopefully the post analysis by devs will uncover some nice details.

Engadget are even struggling with their article count with this one :)

I need to get a better look at it at the new Music UI to judge it properly. But clarity is a big problem with the current UI, which is too small and cluttered. So on that front I'd consider the redesign a big improvement. They may have gone too far in the opposite direction – too much white space, too large text – but that can be tweaked between now and September.

Well I'm looking forward to Siri on my Macbook. Always enjoy something new!

For iOS, love to finally see the option of hiding some of the built in apps and removing some non-essentials to the App Store, stocks, voice recorder etc.

They didn't mention it in the keynote, but this is the beta.

Remove built-in apps from the Home screen on your iOS device with iOS 10 beta

They didn't mention it in the keynote, but this is the beta.

Remove built-in apps from the Home screen on your iOS device with iOS 10 beta

This kind of makes up for a lot for me. It's probably my number 1 requested feature so now they've added it I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

I can't see it on the iOS preview site but 9to5mac say that Siri for South Africa and Ireland was included. It was probably on one of the "other additions" slides they fly through.

Also Apple Pay is coming to France. They didn't mention American Express and it's all gone quite about the American Express launch in Spain, probably because nobody uses it. Maybe finally they are making progress with the euro banks. I think once one or two crack and support Apple Pay the rest will follow.

• Advertisement

I can't see it on the iOS preview site but 9to5mac say that Siri for South Africa and Ireland was included. It was probably on one of the "other additions" slides they fly through.

Cool! They certainly took their time.

Edit: Here it is. Bottom right corner.

Ck2hji-UYAEfKHW.jpg

Advertisement