Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWDC 2016 Keynote (Monday June 13th @ 6pm)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

It took a while to perfect the Healy-Rae algorithms

• Administrators Posts: 53,846 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I have had Siri for ages (or at least I can say hey Siri and ask her questions and to send messages), or is this like more advanced features?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

horgan_p wrote: »
    Interesting that ipad2 finally fell from the upgrade path, loads of them around.

iPad 2 supports iOS 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

So Siri is localised for Ireland now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

awec wrote: »
    I have had Siri for ages (or at least I can say hey Siri and ask her questions and to send messages), or is this like more advanced features?
    Yes, but it's not currently localised to Ireland or the Irish accent which limits its usefulness. You can't use it to look up places, as was the whole point of the original app. Though how well it will do so with Irish places remains to be seen considering how poor Apple Maps for Ireland still is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Yes, but it's not currently localised to Ireland or the Irish accent which limits its usefulness. You can't use it to look up places, as was the whole point of the original app. Though how well it will do so with Irish places remains to be seen considering how poor Apple Maps for Ireland still is.

You reckon we'll see it pushed to Apple TV soon enough so?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

FourFourFM wrote: »
    You reckon we'll see it pushed to Apple TV soon enough so?

No because I think the limiting factor there is the lack of Irish streaming services. The main purpose of Siri on ATV is the catalogue searching, and well, there isn't really any catalogues to be searching in Ireland. Apple don't even advertise any third party entertainment apps on the Irish ATV website – because there's only one: Netflix. And I don't see this changing anytime soon. I mean, what's the next big service likely to launch here? Amazon, who won't even do an Irish storefront? Sky is blocking everyone else. Even Apple seem to have abandoned any prospect of an iTunes TV Store.

DubDJ wrote: »
    This kind of makes up for a lot for me. It's probably my number 1 requested feature so now they've added it I'm happy.

Don't get too excited. Every year there's a few features that get dropped before release. And this is exactly the kind of thing that if any bugs show up between now and September, Apple will just say "screw it, leave it for next year". If they were committed to it I think they would have mentioned it in the keynote.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Pretty solid keynote, lots of low hanging fruit and major pain points patched up. The real developer keynote (State of the Union) was even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I would love to be able to tweak lock screen, would love to be able to add the Android Type Clock...you know the one

clock_zpsbg3ab6pq.jpg

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement

This kind of makes up for a lot for me. It's probably my number 1 requested feature so now they've added it I'm happy.

Don't get too excited. Every year there's a few features that get dropped before release. And this is exactly the kind of thing that if any bugs show up between now and September, Apple will just say "screw it, leave it for next year". If they were committed to it I think they would have mentioned it in the keynote.

I think it was more of an embarrassment thing, not wanting to announce a feature letting you remove Apple's apps from phone. Plus it probably would of gotten the loudest cheer of the keynote.

I watched the event last night and I was a bit more hopeful seeing everything properly, instead of just reading about them. Some of the additions look good.

Although, after watching I still think the new Apple Music looks dreadful. Layout wise it's fine, but the new design looks so childish and doesn't fit in with the rest of the OS. Those huge bold fonts and text everywhere are a big step back imo. Some of the redesign in other areas of the OS looks similar and I'm surprised people aren't complaining more about it. I loved the iOS 7 redesign, some of this looks just as drastic and I really hope it doesn't spread to the rest of the OS.

Seemed to be no mention of sightings of Jony Ive either, wonder if he really has taken a huge step away from Apple.

Does anyone actually use iMessage? I don't have a single contact on my phone who messages me via SMS, everything is WhatsApp.

Most of my frequent contacts are iMessage. I don't currently have Whatsapp or any other messaging apps installed, though, so anyone contacting me via text has to use either SMS or iMessage.

I may reconsider Whatsapp given the greater integration coming in iOS 10, but tbh I couldn't be bothered with all these different messaging services. Part of the appeal of iMessage to me is the seamless integration with SMS. I don't want a dozen other apps with questionable revenue streams and dodgy privacy policies doing the same thing.

I really do think it depends on your personal group and their preferred choice. For me, I rarely use iMessage, however regularly use Facebook Messenger. The fact I can use it on any platform, including the browser, makes it my favourite. And with over 1 billion people on FB the chances of a friend or contact not being on it is small. All other messengers have the problem of not having everybody available or using certain services.

Seemed to be no mention of sightings of Jony Ive either, wonder if he really has taken a huge step away from Apple.

I wouldn't call it huge, but he probably has stepped away a bit. But it's not like he was ever very present at keynotes and there generally isn't any big hardware announcements at WWDC requiring his presence. The Apple Music redesign is apparently being spearheaded by Reznor. Ive would have a rubber-stamping role in it at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Does anyone actually use iMessage? I don't have a single contact on my phone who messages me via SMS, everything is WhatsApp.
    All my frequently text contacts are iMessage. I refuse to install WhatsApp, Telegram, Viber, WeChat, Messenger, Hangouts, Allo etc. just to talk to those green bubble friends :pac:

I wouldn't call it huge, but he probably has stepped away a bit. But it's not like he was ever very present at keynotes and there generally isn't any big hardware announcements at WWDC requiring his presence. The Apple Music redesign is apparently being spearheaded by Reznor. Ive would have a rubber-stamping role in it at best.

I'd of expected him at WWDC as he's in charge of the software as we'll as hardware design teams. I'm still not a fan of some of the new UI changes, the actual layout changes of both music and the OS, including watchOS seem a lot better though.

The layout was the main thing they need to fix about Music, though. The important thing is that they are on the right path:

- Search is now a separate tab.
    - The more options (three dots) menu now makes sense.
    - The interface elements, such as the Now Playing bar, are larger and easier to tap.

What they need to change:

- The title font is too large, bold and print-like. I think this is main thing that's bothering people about the new design, but it's easily fixed.
    - Too much white. Invert the colours of the bottom tab bar. Maybe make the Now Playing bar darker. But the white background everywhere else helps with clarity.

The layout was the main thing they need to fix about Music, though. The important thing is that they are on the right path:

- The interface elements, such as the Now Playing bar, are larger and easier to tap.

- The title font is too large, bold and print-like. I think this is main thing that's bothering people about the new design, but it's easily fixed.
    - Too much white. Invert the colours of the bottom tab bar. Maybe make the Now Playing bar darker. But the white background everywhere else helps with clarity.

One thing I noticed is they changed the screens to demote the heart (like) button that helped customise the recommendations. It's now behind the context menu. Also, do they now offer an alternative to Spotify's discover weekly playlist?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,485 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Most of my frequent contacts are iMessage. I don't currently have Whatsapp or any other messaging apps installed, though, so anyone contacting me via text has to use either SMS or iMessage.

I may reconsider Whatsapp given the greater integration coming in iOS 10, but tbh I couldn't be bothered with all these different messaging services. Part of the appeal of iMessage to me is the seamless integration with SMS. I don't want a dozen other apps with questionable revenue streams and dodgy privacy policies doing the same thing.

I use both imessage and Whats App, as not all of my contacts are on iPhones.

I do not send SMS unless necessary.

What's the problem with What's App and their revenue streams and privacy?

• Advertisement

What's this?

murpho999 wrote: »
    What's the problem with What's App and their revenue streams and privacy?

Well, they are unprofitable and recently abandoned their subscription model. And the last I heard they were ranked worst for privacy. I wasn't referring specifically to Whatsapp, though, but messaging apps in general, most of which probably don't have much of a future. In the case of Whatsapp, I can't see Facebook keeping it as a separate entity forever. They'll either it merge it or let it die off. They seemingly only bought it to stop someone else from getting it.
    What's this?

There's a new API for VOIP apps, so better integration, allowing them to behave more like regular phone calls and appear as an option in Contacts.

WhatsApp has end to end encryption these days. Its as secure as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,485 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well, they are unprofitable and recently abandoned their subscription model. And the last I heard they were ranked worst for privacy. I wasn't referring specifically to Whatsapp, though, but messaging apps in general, most of which probably don't have much of a future. In the case of Whatsapp, I can't see Facebook keeping it as a separate entity forever. They'll either it merge it or let it die off. They seemingly only bought it to stop someone else from getting it.

Well they are all encrypted and I really wouldn't worry about how they make profits or the privacy issue.

Go install the app and use it. It's good and I'm sure not everyone you know uses apple.

Also, I don't think Facebook paid U$19bn just to have it and let it die off. It's very successful and will be around for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'd of expected him at WWDC as he's in charge of the software as we'll as hardware design teams. I'm still not a fan of some of the new UI changes, the actual layout changes of both music and the OS, including watchOS seem a lot better though.

Does WWDC really a need a pre shot scripted piece of marketing fluff with Ive spouting ****e? I feel Apple are aware that those films have almost become a parody of themselves at this stage.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Well they are all encrypted and I really wouldn't worry about how they make profits or the privacy issue.

Go install the app and use it. It's good and I'm sure not everyone you know uses apple.

Also, I don't think Facebook paid U$19bn just to have it and let it die off. It's very successful and will be around for a long time.

I didn't know they added end-to-end encryption. That's an improvement.

I've tried WhatsApp a few times and didn't like it. Maybe it's improved since, but I found it a bit too much like chat. Also the lack of Mac app. They released one recently but everything I'd read suggests it's extremely poor. And I hate using web interfaces.

But as I said, I may give it another go with the closer integration in iOS 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

WhatsApp may have end to end encryption. WhatsApp encryption is completely closed source so there is no way to verify it. Now yes it was audited by a reputable source however something may have changed since then. I think that people should be weary of any company handling their messaging especially when WhatsApp is owned by facebook, has no revenue source and is a US company.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Could you check if music now has a crossfade option? Either in the settings for Music or in the app anywhere? I'm seeing some comments about it but haven't seen any proof or discussion on it. It's the one feature I really want for Apple Music.

dave oc wrote: »
    Could you check if music now has a crossfade option? Either in the settings for Music or in the app anywhere? I'm seeing some comments about it but haven't seen any proof or discussion on it. It's the one feature I really want for Apple Music.

I don't actually have the beta installed. My comments were based on the pictures and videos. But I haven't seen crossfade mentioned anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

If someone has an iPhone I'll use iMessage. If they don't I'll use WhatsApp. For group chat I use WhatsApp. I never use FB messenger or Viber.

I believe apple are going to be launching an iMessage for android app soon too.

Also, I think I must be the only person to hate apple music since it launched.

Advertisement