Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allioli available in Ireland?

Options
  • 11-06-2016 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭

Can anybody advise me if allioli is available in Ireland?It's a beautiful olive oil and garlic mayonnaise that I've enjoyed on vacation in the Valencian region of Spain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's fairly easy to make aioli yourself, but otherwise, check out gourmet foodstores.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

dudara wrote: »
    It's fairly easy to make aioli yourself, but otherwise, check out gourmet foodstores.

Sorry could you list a few such stores? I'm no gourmet cook so I'm not likely to throwing it together!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you're based in Dublin, I'd imagine that the likes of Fallon & Bryne and Lotts will have ready made aioli. SuperValu would probably be a good bet also as they often stock lots of "artisan" type food

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Sparko

I think Lidl have it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭newdigi

Yep Lidl had it earlier in the week. Very nice too but they don't have it regularly.

It is relatively easy to make though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Thanks guys I'll stock up in Lidl and SuperValu.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It's spelt "aioli" - just pointing that out so that you'll have an easier time searching for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Saw this in tesco today. On some random aisle they have an "ingredients" range of stuff, with sort of pale packaging, its all quite overpriced in the range though, and some of the items are found far cheaper elsewhere in the shop. It was about 3.50 for a jar maybe 150-200ml.

They have some of the range shown here
    https://realfood.tesco.com/new-in-store/ingredients-range.html

IngredientsGroup-1-fa80950b-bb21-44a7-9d20-1de50cece14c-0-472x310.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I saw plenty of it in Lidl in Sligo this afternoon, in the refrigerated case in the corner with all of the international gourmet groceries.

Or: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/garlic-aioli-recipe.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Faith wrote: »
    It's spelt "aioli" - just pointing that out so that you'll have an easier time searching for it :)
    Aioli and alioli are the same thing, regional variants on spelling (the tesco ingredients one is spelled alioli).

Likewise, there's variations on the ingredients, mainly centering around whether egg is permissible as an ingredient (i say nay, the phospholipid in the garlic cell walls should be emulsifier enough :P ). A(l)ioli is vegan when made in this fashion, which is handy for the egg allergic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 madihakhan

what is the benefits of allioli ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Tesco - 'ingredients' section have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

madihakhan wrote: »
    what is the benefits of allioli ?

It tastes nice :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Dial Hard wrote: »
    It tastes nice :confused:

It's a floor wax! It's a dessert topping!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Tree wrote: »
    Aioli and alioli are the same thing, regional variants on spelling (the tesco ingredients one is spelled alioli).

Likewise, there's variations on the ingredients, mainly centering around whether egg is permissible as an ingredient (i say nay, the phospholipid in the garlic cell walls should be emulsifier enough :P ). A(l)ioli is vegan when made in this fashion, which is handy for the egg allergic.

You learn something new every day! Thanks for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

M&S often sell aioli too, where the fresh dips etc are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,434 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Tail end question for this thread, when you get it in restaurants here, do they buy it in or make it themselves? and if so or either way are they made without an egg yoke?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

silverharp wrote: »
    Tail end question for this thread, when you get it in restaurants here, do they buy it in or make it themselves? and if so or either way are they made without an egg yoke?

I'd say it varies from restaurant to restaurant, so you'd need to ask them yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

kylith wrote: »
    I'd say it varies from restaurant to restaurant, so you'd need to ask them yourself.

http://blenders.ie/products/mayonnaises/garlic-mayonnaise/

Available in 2.2L and 10L tubs

Oh Dear :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

silverharp wrote: »
    if so or either way are they made without an egg yoke?

Seems less likely to have egg in Spain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aioli
    Aioli is, like mayonnaise, an emulsion or suspension of small globules of oil and oil-soluble compounds in water and water-soluble compounds. In Spain, purists consider that the absence of egg is what distinguishes aioli from mayonnaise; however, this is not the case in France and other countries where egg and egg yolk can be used as an emulsifier and is generally used in making aioli today. Using only garlic as an emulsifier requires it to be thoroughly crushed and for oil to be added drop by drop so that the aioli is not "cut" by excess oil.

Since the late 1980s, it has become fashionable to call all flavored mayonnaises "aioli", with flavorings such as saffron or chili.[7] However, purists insist that "flavored mayonnaise can contain garlic, but true aioli contains no seasoning but garlic"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Dunnes occasionally stock it in the hummus section although I haven't seen it in a few months.

But as someone mentioned earlier, it's super easy to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,434 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i tried making some but was very liquid, there is an art to mixing the ingredients, was ok for dipping bread though

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement